Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2010 Tournament Archives > 2010 The Blue Wild Expo - June 5-6, 2010

2010 The Blue Wild Expo - June 5-6, 2010 This is a world-class spearfishing event with over 1,000 participants at the Ft. Lauderdale Convention Center.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:14 PM   #31
Griswold
Chad

Re: Raffle items

Daryl,

Your camo work keeps getting better and better - it's great to see the art in your work. Be careful though, they might become wall hangers - too pretty to shoot.
Griswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:28 PM   #32
Don Paul

Wow those are nice ! I like lucky # 7.

Mahalo, Don
Don Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:38 PM   #33
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjanest View Post
Hi,
This will be my first event and I have a few questions. Will we have to buy the raffle tickets or Will the tickets be given out upon entry? Will there be an announcement of the winning ticket and do you have to be present to win? Will there be a silent auction for some of the items? I just don't want to go home empty handed.

My wife and I are very excited about attending this event. You have a great list of legends and pioneers of diving gathered at this event.

We will arrive late on Friday night and will miss the Friday night event but we'll be good to go on Saturday and Sunday.

Lee Jones
Last year, each person was given some raffle tickets as part of the admission package. You could also purchase as many additional raffle tickets as you desired (remember the proceeds go to a great charity). Everyone places their raffle tickets in designated jars located next to each corresponding raffle item on a large display area.

I believe there were also a few custom items which were offered in a silent auction as well.

At the end of the show each day, around 5 pm? the raffle tickets are drawn and the prizes are distributed. I think it was necessary to be at the raffle since there are many items and they really need to be awarded in an efficient manner to expedite the process.

I assume the show will be run in a similar manner this year, but I haven't really researched the details. I trust that Sheri will handle it all in a very professional manner.

It is a GREAT show! There are so many interesting people and things to see that the day will fly by. I've attended the last 2 events and I am not sure exactly why I enjoy it so much. I think it is primarily because people always seem to be energized and enthusiastic and many of the legends of the sport are right there and very approachable and willing to talk and answer questions etc.

Also, the vendors are allowed to bring their products to the Expo and many have provided "show specials" that can save you some cash. It must be the ultimate opportunity to comparison shop for guns and gear and everything else you might want for spearfishing.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:06 AM   #34
Sheri
So Little Time

Lee, glad to hear you and your wife are coming.

Jim, thanks for explaining. That is exactly what I'm doing again this year. The items are displayed on the raffle table all day (split between Sat and Sun).

You get an arm's length of tickets for $20, and you can put your tickets in the buckets in front of the item you want to win. The tickets are called at around 5 pm each day, and you must be present to win. We have so much stuff to give away, so I call the numbers fairly quickly.

The only change this year is that we'll do a live auction instead of a silent auction with a couple of the big ticket items. My buddy has started practicing...."who'll gimme?....who'll gimme?....who'll gimme?" He looked it up on YouTube and he thinks he's an expert now. Pretty funny.
Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:05 AM   #35
pernicia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri View Post
You get an arm's length of tickets for $20,
Sheri, I hope you are using Shaquille O'Neal's arm to measure this , just kidding... Lee if I'm not mistaken, in the last Expo $20.00 would get you 18 tickets, and very nice prices...and like JFJF said, everything goes to a great Charity.

Thanks Sheri for all the effort.

Jose G
pernicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:31 PM   #36
jjanest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri View Post
Lee, glad to hear you and your wife are coming.

Jim, thanks for explaining. That is exactly what I'm doing again this year. The items are displayed on the raffle table all day (split between Sat and Sun).

You get an arm's length of tickets for $20, and you can put your tickets in the buckets in front of the item you want to win. The tickets are called at around 5 pm each day, and you must be present to win. We have so much stuff to give away, so I call the numbers fairly quickly.

The only change this year is that we'll do a live auction instead of a silent auction with a couple of the big ticket items. My buddy has started practicing...."who'll gimme?....who'll gimme?....who'll gimme?" He looked it up on YouTube and he thinks he's an expert now. Pretty funny.
Thanks guys for the information on raffling. I guess that I will have to participate in the raffling on Sat. because I'll have to leave early on Sun. due to flight schedule leaving at 6:25 pm. I've never flown into that airport before. How soon should I be at the airport for check-in for a 6:25 pm flight out? Oh, and I'll definitely be there for the live auction. You never know what a person will bid after a few cocktails.

Lee
Old 05-19-2010, 11:15 PM   #37
Sheri
So Little Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjanest View Post
Oh, and I'll definitely be there for the live auction. You never know what a person will bid after a few cocktails.
Yeah, well, that's why I went ahead and put a bar in the Exhibition Hall. Guys were already going crazy without any drinking. I can only imagine the pandemonium from the combination of a giant raffle, live auction, and alcohol.

Will you make it to the Friday evening Kick off party? Because I will do a mini-raffle there too.

I would be at the airport 1.5 hours ahead of time. (2 if you have to turn in a rental car). Ft. Lauderdale is a nice medium size airport...not too complicated.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:37 PM   #38
chasintail
Hell Diver

Do you have to be present to win?
chasintail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:01 AM   #39
Sheri
So Little Time

Yes, you have to be present to win.

But if you trust someone that is going, you could have them be your proxy. In other words, you could give them the money to buy tickets, tell them how you want it distributed (a list of items is on the website), and then they could give you the item next time they see you....or not.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:03 AM   #40
chasintail
Hell Diver

I wish this wasn't the same weekend as our rodeo.I would really like to attend.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:24 AM   #41
Sheri
So Little Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasintail View Post
I wish this wasn't the same weekend as our rodeo.I would really like to attend.
Yeah, sorry about that. I had no idea. A couple of my Helldiver friends invited me to the Rodeo, and I said I would come this year until figured it's the same weekend....bummer. It's also the same weekend as the Califonia Neptunes tournament.

Come over next year.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:49 AM   #42
chasintail
Hell Diver

I know. The LBN,HDR,and PatmyGreens new dive shop is holding a tourny the same weekend.These are all events i would love to do.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:35 AM   #43
Daryl Wong

Here's an update on the guns for Sheri's expo.

The good news is those of you attending will get to bid on these three custom guns and the other guns not in the raffle will be at my booth # 511.

The bad news is those who can't make it won't get to see them in person an miss out on a great show.

The spearos who can't make it can still bid on Raffle items. Just find out who will be attending, give them your 20.00 or so and have them buy you raffle tickets. There were quite a few who did that last year. I did it for a couple of friends.

Here are some pictures of the guns for the expo raffle.

Aloha, Daryl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue wild guns raffle.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	127895  
Daryl Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:07 AM   #44
divingdesigns
Brian

Those are some nice looking guns.

www.Redwoodempiredivers.org
A family friendly Skin and SCUBA dive club out of Santa Rosa CA

www.Montereybaytritons.com
A freedive only dive club thats meets in Monterey CA
divingdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:18 PM   #45
jjanest

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasintail View Post
Do you have to be present to win?
Nick,

Lee here in Gulfport. If you trust me enough, I could collect your money and place your tickets on whatever you are interested in winning. Of course, I'll be leaving early on Sunday so I can only do it for the Saturday raffle. I'm a good talker (wife says I talk too much) so I'll try to get someone who will be there on Sunday at 5 pm to collect my winning items (if I win something) and ship it to me and I pay the shipping fees. If you are interested, just PM me and we can hook up before I leave.

Sheri,

I will not arrive there after 11:30 pm Friday night so I'll miss the mini raffle unless you can front me some tickets and I pay you on Saturday. I don't care what I win as long as I don't go home empty handed.