Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
PezSuerteBAJA

Cerralvo Island Starting to Heat up

I am a spear guide for Palapas Ventana and have the pleasure of getting to be in the water all the time! Up until now the fishing has been on again and off again on Cerralvo Island. Since late may the water has been green and a bit cooler. This cooler green water has been great for yelloytail...We have also consitantly landed huge amberjack and plenty of pargo on the reefs. But I have been anxiousley awaiting for the conditions to line up for other blue water fish like wahoo!

We had a group of three guys from the states come out recently. They have been fishing with Palapas Ventana for over 6 years. They Come out in June specifically to shoot wahoo (all other fish are bonus). The water has been doing its best to cooperate...but after 5 days of searching for wahoo and seeing nothing the guys were pretty discouraged. On their last day the current picked up, the water boosted up to the low to mid 80s, and our spots were stacked with clouds of cocineros, toros and milkfish. With the conditions finally setting up nicely, they shot two wahoo and were...STOKED!

The next day I shot this wahoo at a spot off of the south end of Cerralvo! It wasnt huge...more of a weehoo! But it is an addicting experience. It is evident why people freak on fishing for wahoo. They are a challenge to locate, shoot, and land...a rewarding process to complete. All of this and they are amazing to eat (sashimi drizzled with sesame oil and lime is my favorite)!

Now that the water is warmer and clearer...It is going to be difficult to get out!

I have included pictures of a few of the fish that I have shot over the past two months. Comments welcome. I have only been fishing for 5 five years and am like a sponge...and I love to hear other peoples fish stories!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0222.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	174680   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0259.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	174681   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0369.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	174682   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0786.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	174683  

Last edited by PezSuerteBAJA; 07-05-2012 at 03:52 PM.
PezSuerteBAJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
Polespearo
Waterman

Re: Cerralvo Island Starting to Heat up

Pez suerte:

Sounds all to good and inviting! Can u PM the fees for a day trip for locals? I live in La Paz and appreciate being in the water with diff people.

Thx
Polespearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
campbellc0321
Cortez Morning

Great fish.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #4
kuba

Nice fish Nick, I can't wait to come back to PV. I will see you guys next year.

Cheers

Kuba
kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:10 AM   #5
spearsamohi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PezSuerteBAJA View Post
I am a spear guide for Palapas Ventana and have the pleasure of getting to be in the water all the time! Up until now the fishing has been on again and off again on Cerralvo Island. Since late may the water has been green and a bit cooler. This cooler green water has been great for yelloytail...We have also consitantly landed huge amberjack and plenty of pargo on the reefs. But I have been anxiousley awaiting for the conditions to line up for other blue water fish like wahoo!

We had a group of three guys from the states come out recently. They have been fishing with Palapas Ventana for over 6 years. They Come out in June specifically to shoot wahoo (all other fish are bonus). The water has been doing its best to cooperate...but after 5 days of searching for wahoo and seeing nothing the guys were pretty discouraged. On their last day the current picked up, the water boosted up to the low to mid 80s, and our spots were stacked with clouds of cocineros, toros and milkfish. With the conditions finally setting up nicely, they shot two wahoo and were...STOKED!

The next day I shot this wahoo at a spot off of the south end of Cerralvo! It wasnt huge...more of a weehoo! But it is an addicting experience. It is evident why people freak on fishing for wahoo. They are a challenge to locate, shoot, and land...a rewarding process to complete. All of this and they are amazing to eat (sashimi drizzled with sesame oil and lime is my favorite)!

Now that the water is warmer and clearer...It is going to be difficult to get out!

I have included pictures of a few of the fish that I have shot over the past two months. Comments welcome. I have only been fishing for 5 five years and am like a sponge...and I love to hear other peoples fish stories!
Hey Nick,

still rockin the mustache! hahaha
killing it over there huh?
Ill have to come down soon
cheers,
Cj
spearsamohi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
PezSuerteBAJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polespearo View Post
Pez suerte:

Sounds all to good and inviting! Can u PM the fees for a day trip for locals? I live in La Paz and appreciate being in the water with diff people.

Thx
hey there,

Tim will be stoked to hear you want to come out. I dont know what the rates are for locals but I do know that Tim will give you a deal. You can contact him at tim@palapasventana.com or at 011-52-612-114-0198. We hope to see you soon!

nick
Old 07-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #7
PezSuerteBAJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearsamohi View Post
Hey Nick,

still rockin the mustache! hahaha
killing it over there huh?
Ill have to come down soon
cheers,
Cj
CJ!

Good to hear from you. Things have been great down here. The water is super warm and there are plenty of fish. Come back down so I can put you on a amberjack or a wahoo! The last client I went out with shot a 57 lb amberjack 25 feet deep. Crazy.

I bought a Euro 120x...It is amazing--it packs punch and is a laser. I use that for reef and my Andre Gold160 for bluewater. Say hey to your dad for me and hopefully we will see you guys soon!

nick
Old 07-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
stevencabo
tercermundista

Send a message via Yahoo to stevencabo

Great looking fish, keep the reports coming and thanks for sharing!
stevencabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:57 AM   #9
Nor'East Bob

great stuff! 3 of my buddies and i are headed down in the middle of august, hopefully we'll get to meet you then and get into some nice fish!!

bobby t.
Nor'East Bob is offline   Reply With Quote