Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-29-2014, 12:55 PM   #16
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Re: Jewfish - I don't get it

I was on my phone asshole. You loose the debate and then you attack the grammer....just Pathetic...thats the second time youve ignorantly attacked me in this thread, please quit being a keyboard warrior and go find somewhere else to **** off.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:03 PM   #17
snapperboy

[quote=kwtony;1936605]Holy shit it IS early, I wrote that last message taking my goodmorning crap. If that shows how much I care I just chimed in to stir the pot, I can't wait to see how many pages THIS thread becomes.

Well, on your first post you were taking a shit and on the last one you were on the phone. Obviously you can not do two things at once.
You should never attempt chewing gum and walking at the same time as you would probably stumble and bust your ass and choke on the gum!
snapperboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:12 PM   #18
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwyoungspear View Post
that's actually a pretty good summary. But it was time to end the holocaust on the Jew fish, they needed it. It's been 24 years and they've rebounded, give a few more years and they will be up for harvest. You don't have to be a scientist to put your face in the water at ANY wreck.
If everyone with a saltwater license was allowed to take one a year they would be on the endangered species list by March. How many of these things exist? Even if there were 50 on each wreck and for giggles there are 1000 wrecks off the Florida coast.... The delusion that the species could withstand a harvest from 250k saltwater fishermen and spearfishermen is laughable at best.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:08 PM   #19
Summerland Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
If everyone with a saltwater license was allowed to take one a year they would be on the endangered species list by March. How many of these things exist? Even if there were 50 on each wreck and for giggles there are 1000 wrecks off the Florida coast.... The delusion that the species could withstand a harvest from 250k saltwater fishermen and spearfishermen is laughable at best.
Kenny:

I think your assessment of the situation is correct--it would be a slaughter and the spearfishermen would take the blame.

I am not sure what kwtony's problem is--I can only assume he is referring to me in his posts. If he lives on Summerland Key, then he is less than a mile or so from my house, yet he has never called or met with me to get my side of the story--just listens to the BS from others.

I have trouble with anyone that will pubically attack someone without first listening to their side of the story. I will send him a PM with my phone number and let you know if he ever attempts to call. Don
Summerland Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:37 AM   #20
Biminibill

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
Capt Flynn was the source for this info. Call me a liar all you want, makes little difference to me. Youd have a tough time calling him a liar as he and his wife are two of the most respected people in this community. I dont need to explain how Jew fish were a huge sport back in the days to you. But for others, they can just look at any old fishing photos...

They have long since been replensihed and need to be a targeted Species again. Im not gunna sit here and argue this with you or anyone. Its been done plenty already. Talk to any old time local of the keys and see what they have to say about it. Most of the true conchs dont even have access to a computer. So youd have to find them at the bar.

I should have stayed outta this thread. And for that Im goin fishin!!
I'll say first of all that I don't know Captain Flynn and as such I can offer no opinion as to how well "respected" he is. Further, I have learned that people relating other's comments may or may not present them accurately. That said, the horseshit kwtony spewed as to the order of events that lead to the jewfish harvest ban is exactly that: horseshit, and sounds like the usual inbreed drivel that comes from many of the assholes at the "Dickhead Row" docks on Stock Island. Kwtony could suffer from any and all of several ailments: Too much inbreeding, too much Nitrogen or possibly too much Oxygen deprivation. In any case, I recommend he see a doctor.
Biminibill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:04 AM   #21
diverlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biminibill View Post
I'll say first of all that I don't know Captain Flynn and as such I can offer no opinion as to how well "respected" he is. Further, I have learned that people relating other's comments may or may not present them accurately. That said, the horseshit kwtony spewed as to the order of events that lead to the jewfish harvest ban is exactly that: horseshit, and sounds like the usual inbreed drivel that comes from many of the assholes at the "Dickhead Row" docks on Stock Island. Kwtony could suffer from any and all of several ailments: Too much inbreeding, too much Nitrogen or possibly too much Oxygen deprivation. In any case, I recommend he see a doctor.
Bill, good post. I have nothing against Kwtony but after living in the Keys for a few years and getting to know the local folks there, it seems to me that the story told maybe lacking quite a bit. Just my 02.
diverlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:04 AM   #22
MADMAX

Lets everyone take a chill pill. I think this post is due to bad weather and lack of warm water. There are a lot of Jewfish, possibly a issued permit for a limited harvest. Lets not make this personal. Key west Tony is a good guy and everyone has a opinion, leave it at that, I hope I used spell check.
Mad Max
MADMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:28 AM   #23
snapperboy

The young divers doing the most complaining about jewfish either were not even around in 1990 or were still in diapers. They have no historical perspective on this issue, other than the BS they are told by extremely biased individuals. None understand the science, therefore the science is all wrong. They just see a big fish and want to kill it, and it is as simple as that.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:08 AM   #24
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Yeah it sure is windy down here in the keys....

. Summerland key, "never called you" Good lord you sound like my ex GF. I like to wait a day after getting a girls number before calling, that way it doesnt make me seem desperate... so you gotta be patient sweetie...

....in all seriousness, yes I have your number and would love to get another side of this story, so expect my call soon. Itll be from a 352 number. I have nothing against you, this is politics. Youre probably a good person, I have no real reason to believe otherwise

Snapperboy please stop the pm's and your childish behavior, is this how you act in public, or is this just saved for windy days? I would ask you to enlighten us with your knowledge on the subject but to be honest, I really don't care. This topic has been beaten to death over and over and over again. Your classification of the 'younger divers' is about as wrong as it gets. Sure there might be a few knuckleheads in the bunch but you can't just sum them up into one group and call them all stupid.

Bimini ...Why did you even post? Shoo fly
Old 03-30-2014, 08:48 AM   #25
Summerland Key

kwtony
Look forward to having an itellegent conversation with you -- call anytime. Don
Summerland Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:00 AM   #26
jfjf

I don't know the actual politics of the closure of jewfish, but the reality of the matter is that it was desperately needed.

Jew fish were pretty unusual in Palm Beach after the closure. We could generally find a few, deep inside one wreck, and it was a big deal to get a decent picture of them because they were very shy. They were uncommon or rare elsewhere, as I recall.

I know several people who stopped hunting them years before the closure because they felt that it was "the right thing to do". They felt that the numbers could not support a harvest - regardless of the fishing regulations which continued to provide a fishery. Now... the situation is somewhat reversed...

I know several people who, occasionally, take (small "eating size") jewfish because they feel it is "the right thing to do". They continue to feel little need to abide by regulations that are out of touch with their perception of the vulnerability of the population.

I haven't shot a jewfish, or seen one harvested for probably 35 years.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:39 AM   #27
snapperboy

Your classification of the 'younger divers' is about as wrong as it gets. Sure there might be a few knuckleheads in the bunch but you can't just sum them up into one group and call them all stupid.

kwtony
I think you misunderstood my post about young divers. I agree with you there are a few knuckleheads in the bunch, and you just so happen to be one of them.
There are a lot of young conservation minded spearfishermen out there that are a credit to the sport. Then there are the loud mouth ones, like yourself, with no concept of conservation or the politics surrounding fisheries issues who give the sport a bad name.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:02 AM   #28
chawk25

A slot limit similar to snook 28" to 33" seems like it would be reasonable but of course would eliminate us from shooting. As far as numbers I am not sure how many folks know the amount of juveniles that are living in the estuaries. If you ever fish the 10k islands you would see first hand the species is doing pretty good.
chawk25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:30 AM   #29
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Sticks and stones Snapperhead, you don't know me well enough to make those kind of ignorant accusations. I don't know why you feel like you should come on here and attack me just because I don't agree with your opinions. However, I'd greatly appreciate it if you'd quit acting like a douchebag.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:32 AM   #30
kwyoungspear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post

Well for starters I would imagine the "legalization" of Jew fish harvest to be more like hunting. Buy a tag from the state during a season and have a limit, probably just one, and have a boat limit of one. Residency would probably come into factor to keep the charter captains from going out every day for taxidermy profits. All and all this would minimize the slaughter.

As for how many do I think are swimming around? Well I said wrecks, but they are everywhere. 50 on a wreck would be childs play compared to the numbers I see in the mud keys mangroves where I can't get a shot off because they keep barking. On almost every one of my dads +900 plus spots, you can find a jew fish, and we have a wide area to choose from...
This is obviously how all fish stocks should be.
I'm not one of the kids saying "oh well they're eating all our fish" no shit, they have to live, we don't.

I could honestly see this happening in the 20's, especially with how good government programs are at running up debt.