Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations

Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations This section is for your DIY spearfishing projects and customization other then spearguns.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
norcalsurfer

How to shave bands

After tying a band you're supposed to shave down the band 'bump' that tying creates. What's the best tool to do this with?

Thanks!
norcalsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:39 AM   #2
RBainer

Re: How to shave bands

bench grinder

FII. Level 2 Cert
50M Diver
RBainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:42 AM   #3
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Yeah, bench grinder or any kind of power sanding tool prior to tying them. I use a sanding disk on a power drill mounted to a table (it's what I have). Some folks just snip them afterwards with a pair of cutting pliers. But the sanding methods will give you the prettiest outcome and fish do care about that... Or, at least I do;-)

Basically, you just sand the band at an angle while rotating it. Try 45 degrees or shallower, but it's pretty easy once you get going.
Here are some pics of the end result:

Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:08 AM   #4
SEATUX

I insert a nail into the hole of the band with the head flush to the end of the band, it adds stiffness to the band and makes it easier to grind. That and you have a guide to grind the tapper down to ( the head of the nail)
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:58 PM   #5
norcalsurfer

Thanks guys for the great ideas! Going to start doing this.
norcalsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:57 AM   #6
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
I insert a nail into the hole of the band with the head flush to the end of the band, it adds stiffness to the band and makes it easier to grind. That and you have a guide to grind the tapper down to ( the head of the nail)
Nice trick, I will try that next time, too
Old 06-28-2017, 05:40 AM   #7
SEATUX

I should add this;
Looking closely at the tip of a nail and you will see it is made up of sharp flat sides, I file and polish these to be smooth, so as not to make any small cuts inside the band that can latter turn into a rip. easy to do, then just keep those nails for all future band work.
The tip needn't be very sharp either, just round it off... think SMOOTH!
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:37 AM   #8
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

@Seatux, thanks so much for the tip.
I had a few bands I had to prepare today for an on-going polespear project. For the Primeline Small ID bands, I used some 1.6mm SS rod I had around. I cut off a short length of it and sanded down the pointy ends. It inserts easily with a bit of spit or silicone spray. I was worried that it would be hard to get out but you can massage it out and grab it with a pair of pliers without any trouble.
It definitely does add heaps more control and makes the shaving/sanding of the band a lot easier and safer - especially with the thinner 12mm and 13mm bands I am using.

(I am using a #180 grit sanding disk on a power drill in a desk top vice)
Old 08-07-2017, 05:13 PM   #9
Les Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalsurfer View Post
After tying a band you're supposed to shave down the band 'bump' that tying creates. What's the best tool to do this with?

Thanks!

From reading your question, it sounds like you think the lump or bump needs to be shaved. If that's your question, you don't want to do that! That would only weaken the band and cause it to prematurely break.

The suggestions offered above are only to taper the ends of the bands for cosmetic purposes, and not necessary. The tapering is not on the area that is enlarged or on the "bump" the tying creates.