Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Off Topic Area

Off Topic Area Enjoy a virtual beer at the bar, and talk about anything else on your mind that may not pertain to spearfishing.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
speargunking

question about 5.9 3500 dodge diesel 4x4

Im looking at the Dodge 3500 4x4 diesel with manual transmission, anywhere from 2005 to 2008 models.. most have around 150,000 miles.. just wondering if anyone has this model/engine combo and if they have had any problems.. to my knowledge the cummings is one of the best diesels.. but I hear that the dashboard on dodge trucks has problems with crackiing. is this true?? seems strange also that almost every truck I have been looking at has about the same mileage, almost like they have problems at that point?? dont know what to think.. any info appreciated.. its a great looking truck and should pull my boat good... also looking at the gmc duramax/allison trucks.. cost more though for older models...

25 foot proline "Awesome Angler"

http://www.saltyshores.com/vids/capjay.htmlhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...CnkD4zNZ8w#t=0

Click on Links above for Grouper digging Video's..
speargunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
kenmx10

Re: question about 5.9 3500 dodge diesel 4x4

The Cummings are great motors but dodges weakness was in the AT transmissions. Not sure how the manuals hold up, I prefer the Duramax over the Fords And Dodges any day. Most of the common problems with the Duramax are minor.
kenmx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

I have a 2006 Dodge diesel, AT. My outboard mech. has the manual.
The AT has a sensor/ pressure module that tends to fail at between say $50-140k. If you drive the truck with this shift module broken (And, you CAN) you will damage the trans as it will not lock up 2nd gear well, and it doe snot 'kick down' properly to downshift when you need power, or when you stop at a light.
If you change the sensor relatively quickly, and change the trans fluid every 80k or so, the trans will be very good for a long time. The module costs about $150-300 to swap out, parts and labor. My truck has 220k, 2 modules replaced, and the only other item to change out was the water pump; which takes about 1.5hr on the Dodge.
The dash is fine, the rear end is fine, it rides very nicely, and holds alignment well.
AND, gives up 18-20MPG on the highway.

Now, compare that with the Duramax or Ford diesel, where the water pump swap is a 4-6hr job on average, if nothing goes wrong and you have the right bars for manipulating the pulleys for the belts.
The Duramax strong points are: 1. Allison transmission. #2. It's not a Ford diesel.
As to the manual, there are no known issues whatsoever. Duramax weak points: Injectors. On the series you are looking at, the injectors are a real threat, and VERY expensive. As in........ $3k for a set of just the injectors done. Other than that, these motors are pretty solid with few issues overall.
Ford 6.0. Wow, where do I start???? Short lived alternators. The most expensive fuel filters and oil filters of any passenger truck. Critical fuel issues, use factory filters or burn injectors, ruin turbos. Head gasket leaks. This...... is a CAB OFF THE CHASSIS job. Very, very wallet lightening experience. Many wind up installing new head studs.... EGR valves. They fail, the heads get blown. Coolant filter system. Use Factory cooler/ filter, replace every few years. Or, get aftermarket unit and it usually lessens the issue. Turbo oil ports; the earlier series had smaller lines to them, the oil would cook, the turbo would cook, you were swiping the credit card a lot.
The Ford has a really good transmission, FWIW.

Dodge has the lowest service cost. Oil changes, fuel filter changes are EASY, and inexpensive.
I service a fleet of 2 Dodges, 15 Fords, and we got rid of 3 Chevy's because the first 2 had injector issues just out of warranty, and the bill was about $5500 for new injectors complete install. Sold the 3rd truck just before the warranty ran out.

The pre-EGR motors are most desired. There are EGR eliminator kits out there, and they make a difference on the Chevy and Fords, as well as the Cummins motors. Mostly, increased MPG due to cooler and cleaner air thru the turbo.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
mepps1

Don't have any experience with the newer Dodges. Bought an 01 brand new and put 160k on it before one of my flunkies rolled it. Ran great, but that particular engine had an expensive, needy injection pump.

I second Rojo on the Duramax injector issues. It's enough to piss me off. Costs as much to replace as a gas engine. Other than that it's solid and runs great.

I wouldn't be the least bit scared of a Cummins with 160 k. Biggest issue is the tranny.
mepps1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #5
kwtony
Snorkel Master

150k on it??..man, thats just barely broken in
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:12 AM   #6
speargunking

thanks guys.. very great info.. im leaning for the dodge with manual.. and these boys Im looking at look great.. like new... at least in the pics.. again.. thanks.. and im sure the cummins is second to none.. been around for a while and I have yet to hear anything negitive about engine when its right....

25 foot proline "Awesome Angler"

http://www.saltyshores.com/vids/capjay.htmlhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...CnkD4zNZ8w#t=0

Click on Links above for Grouper digging Video's..
speargunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:49 AM   #7
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

The 07-2011 Dodge have an EGR, it robs some MPG. It also soots up the turbo, same issue as the Chevy and Ford, but to a lesser degree. The turbos tend to need internal cleaning about once every year to 1.5 year. It takes a half a day, and a can of carb cleaner. Not a really tough job. The Dodge turbo on these trucks is a variable vane; the soot cakes in the vane assembly, and cooks. The vanes will stick. If it gets really bad, the vanes will stick and then suddenly they will cut loose when you are standing on the throttle- the turbo might incur damage from that.
If that were the case?? At least the turbo can be replaced easily without pulling the cab off the chassis.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
mepps1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojodiablo View Post
The 07-2011 Dodge have an EGR, it robs some MPG. It also soots up the turbo, same issue as the Chevy and Ford, but to a lesser degree. The turbos tend to need internal cleaning about once every year to 1.5 year. It takes a half a day, and a can of carb cleaner. Not a really tough job. The Dodge turbo on these trucks is a variable vane; the soot cakes in the vane assembly, and cooks. The vanes will stick. If it gets really bad, the vanes will stick and then suddenly they will cut loose when you are standing on the throttle- the turbo might incur damage from that.
If that were the case?? At least the turbo can be replaced easily without pulling the cab off the chassis.
Tell me more. My 05 Duramax has been slacking some on mileage, lately.
mepps1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #9
Powers
Dad

They are very sensitive to bad fuel. I'd install a second fuel filter. Had one blow up on me.
Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #10
Lone Star Spearo
Extreme snorkeler

I've owned the Ford 7.3 (2001), Ford 6.0 (2003) and the Dodge 5.9 (2001) W/manual tranny. The problems Rojo described are pretty spot on. That 6.0 was the biggest headache of all, I didn't have any issues with my 7.3 or the 5.9. My mother is still drivin the 5.9 daily and no issues.
I personnaly prefer the 7.3L Ford or the older 5.9L Cummins.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #11
SDDiver5

Look at a 90's dodge with the 12v Diesel. They literaly run forever and the 12v is very simple to work with. Not as complex as the new engines everyone is talking about and they are much less $$.

Unless of course you're looking for some luxury...the 90's dodges arent exactly in that category. But as far as pulling your boat, they will do just fine.

D
SDDiver5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:14 AM   #12
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mepps1 View Post
Tell me more. My 05 Duramax has been slacking some on mileage, lately.
Duramax motors are very sensitive to injector flow/ balance. Have the injectors cleaned by a shop who flushes the fuel system; they disconnect the fuel tank line, splice in the solvent stuff, and go to town. Then, get the injectors flow balanced. If this is done before the injectors start failing wholesale, you can double the life of the injectors.
For cleaning the turbo, it is pretty straight forward; remove the turbo, set it on the bench, and start massaging the soot out everywhere you can see it inside. Lots of carb cleaner spray, and a variety of nylon brushes, and careful use of steel brushes. You will see a whole lot of stuff come out of there. Be sure to use compressed air and blow the turbo out well, and let it sit and dry for an hour before reinstallation. If you were to light it up with a lot of carb cleaner in there and get it good and hot........ flames out the tailpipe!!

For the fuel filters on them, the 6.0/ 6.4 Ford is a MUST CHANGE fuel filters every oil change. Trying to stretch it out will cause problems. The Chevy seems to be really fuel sensitive as well. At the least, every other oil change you should swap the fuel filters. For the Dodge, we do the filters every other oil change, though by their design they can handle swapping every 3rd or 4th oil change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Mountain Spearo View Post
I've owned the Ford 7.3 (2001), Ford 6.0 (2003) and the Dodge 5.9 (2001) W/manual tranny. The problems Rojo described are pretty spot on. That 6.0 was the biggest headache of all, I didn't have any issues with my 7.3 or the 5.9. My mother is still drivin the 5.9 daily and no issues.
I personnaly prefer the 7.3L Ford or the older 5.9L Cummins.
7.3 Ford with the turbo.......FTW. The last of the real beasts. And they will run as long as the Cummins motors. God bless them, I hope they all hit 1 million miles before they are retired.

Just found out one of our 6.4 trucks (F550 crew cab) has a slow leaking head gasket..........
Eyep; about $6,000 to do the head on the truck. Not the heads, that is $6500. One...... friggin'......... head. Cab comes off. New studs. Oh boy oh boy oh boy.......

"I'd rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy!"

"It's a Ford; you'll get your chance."
Old 10-31-2013, 12:20 AM   #13
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDiver5 View Post
Look at a 90's dodge with the 12v Diesel. They literaly run forever and the 12v is very simple to work with. Not as complex as the new engines everyone is talking about and they are much less $$.

Unless of course you're looking for some luxury...the 90's dodges arent exactly in that category. But as far as pulling your boat, they will do just fine.

D
In the apocalypse, this and the 7.3 non turbo Ford will be the only trucks left on the road. Any kind of an EMP event will wipe out all sensitive computers in cars and the like. Mechanical fuel pump, no ECU ignition systems will not be affected. All modern rigs, the microprocessors will fry, and most of us will be walking.
2 stroke dirtbikes will survive also- so save a little Maxima or PJ1 oil and ring-ding your way to your destination!!!!

The only issue with the 12v Cummins is slow acceleration, and lower fuel economy. For a hard working 12v, 2valve 5.9...... expect to see 700,000 miles from the motor. Amazing durability and build quality. Just, a little slow and old.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:33 AM   #14
SDDiver5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojodiablo View Post
In the apocalypse, this and the 7.3 non turbo Ford will be the only trucks left on the road. Any kind of an EMP event will wipe out all sensitive computers in cars and the like. Mechanical fuel pump, no ECU ignition systems will not be affected. All modern rigs, the microprocessors will fry, and most of us will be walking.
2 stroke dirtbikes will survive also- so save a little Maxima or PJ1 oil and ring-ding your way to your destination!!!!

The only issue with the 12v Cummins is slow acceleration, and lower fuel economy. For a hard working 12v, 2valve 5.9...... expect to see 700,000 miles from the motor. Amazing durability and build quality. Just, a little slow and old.
Couldnt agree more! I have been saying that is the zombie apocalypse rig for years now and then 4 wheel mag and extreme 4x4 did a pitch about it and now everyone jumped the band wagon.

I have 3 old 2 stroke dirt bikes.

Im so ready fort he apocalypse.

haha anyways sorry for the derail... going back to the topic....

OP, have you found one you like or is this just a general idea?

D
SDDiver5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:43 AM   #15
Lone Star Spearo
Extreme snorkeler

Yep, my next truck will definitely have the 7.3L in it, no doubt.