Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:38 PM   #1
VangysWay

890 lumen Mako light

Anyone have any experience with it? I've been lagging on getting a new light and need to make up my mind already. Pretty much between the Mako 890 and the UK SL4... I like some of the Chinese lights on Amazon, but the thought of it crapping out on me and not being able to get in touch with anyone makes me weary...

Thanks in advance

Alex
VangysWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Wink Re: 890 lumen Mako light

Quote:
Originally Posted by VangysWay View Post
Anyone have any experience with it? I've been lagging on getting a new light and need to make up my mind already. Pretty much between the Mako 890 and the UK SL4... I like some of the Chinese lights on Amazon, but the thought of it crapping out on me and not being able to get in touch with anyone makes me weary...

Thanks in advance

Alex
Alex, beware of the cheap non-brand lights. A friend of mine and I did a night dive recently and one of those lights failed immediately. Mako and UK stand behind their products.
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:48 PM   #3
Sam-o
Too Optimistic

Re: 890 lumen Mako light

I haven't used the 890 but I have the 680 and it is awesome! I would imagine the 890 is just as good if not better. the wrist strap is awesome too.
Sam-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:31 AM   #4
jfjf

I use the 890 light for the Go pro camera. It is a very wide angle light, with no hot spots. compact and bright.

The other light is smaller (the 680) and is more focused and is probably better for looking under holes and it also fits the gun mount.

They both have worked well for me, but they are different.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:07 PM   #5
VangysWay

Awesome, thank you guys
VangysWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:48 PM   #6
Ron S

Hmm, learn somthin' new every day. I used to carry a backup light at work but stopped using it because those cr123 batteries are so expensive. After reading this thread, I looked at that light on the Mako site. Was gonna click off when I saw that it too uses the CR123 batteries, but read further that it also takes a rechargeable battery. I looked on Amazon and you can get the rechargeables and a charger for less than $20.
May have to re-think future light purchases now that I know there's a rechargeable version of the 123...
Ron.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
Tommy T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
Hmm, learn somthin' new every day. I used to carry a backup light at work but stopped using it because those cr123 batteries are so expensive. After reading this thread, I looked at that light on the Mako site. Was gonna click off when I saw that it too uses the CR123 batteries, but read further that it also takes a rechargeable battery. I looked on Amazon and you can get the rechargeables and a charger for less than $20.
May have to re-think future light purchases now that I know there's a rechargeable version of the 123...
Ron.
I just went & bought 123 rechargeable lithium batteries & charger at a specialty store in the City. I spent $40 on four pieces plus the charger but they're from a company in San Jose CA (not 100% sure where they're manufactured) so it'll hopefully solve the expensive battery issue. I have the Mako 680 light attached to the front of my 70cm Pred Pro & it's really easy to maneuver in holes & lights them up well. I have used the 890 light but I like the focused beam of the 680 better for hole hunting. Good luck. Thx. T
Tommy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:37 PM   #8
North Star
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
Ron.
Ron - check it out:

http://www.surefire.com/batteries.html
Old 10-20-2014, 09:11 PM   #9
Tommy T

Here's the package I recently purchased. Hopefully they'll keep a charge well. I will break them out & charge/use them this week. Good luck.
Amazon.com : Kits: 4 Tenergy RCR123A 3.0V 900mAh Rechargeable Li-Ion Protected Batteries with a Smart Charger : Digital Camera Batteries : Camera & Photo Amazon.com : Kits: 4 Tenergy RCR123A 3.0V 900mAh Rechargeable Li-Ion Protected Batteries with a Smart Charger : Digital Camera Batteries : Camera & Photo
Tommy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:39 PM   #10
Ron S

Looks like there are some very good options out there!
Ron.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:35 PM   #11
ReefShark
Jay

Would this light be good for night spearing? I had my eyes on the 680 but my newly found dive buddy suggested a wide angle beam would be much better. He uses a UK Light Canon 890 but its bulky and costs twice as much...
Old 11-25-2014, 06:33 PM   #12
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefShark View Post
Would this light be good for night spearing? I had my eyes on the 680 but my newly found dive buddy suggested a wide angle beam would be much better. He uses a UK Light Canon 890 but its bulky and costs twice as much...
the wide angle 890 MAKO will worked well for me as a primary light for a night diving.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #13
ReefShark
Jay

Thanks jfjf... I put it on the list. Might get the 680 later as a backup....
Old 11-25-2014, 08:22 PM   #14
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefShark View Post
Thanks jfjf... I put it on the list. Might get the 680 later as a backup....
I will always carry a back up light when night diving..
Old 12-01-2014, 01:28 AM   #15
norcalsurfer

Really love the Xtar D26 I picked up recently. The on/off switch is really easy to use to save battery life. http://www.liteshop.com.au/content/x...chargeable-kit
norcalsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote