Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Northern Atlantic: New England States

Northern Atlantic: New England States An area for the cold water divers of the New England States.

Old 11-13-2018, 02:17 PM   #1
Powers
Dad

June 2019 trip to NY, CT, RI, MA, NH, ME

Howdy from Texas!

My name is Will Powers. My wife and daughter and I are heading to New England next summer in our RV. We are just starting to lay out the trip, so I thought I'd reach out to the board for some guidance and recommendations, both in and out of the water. I'll include a few maps of our planned trajectory thus far.

I'm from Corpus Christi, Texas but live in Austin now. I work in the oil business. I edit for Spearing Magazine on the side. I've been a freediver for over 20 years and went through Performance Freediving's intermediate course. I can dive to 100' but my realistic hunting range stops at about 70-80';my happy place is more like 40-50'. I love being in the water and am game for anything from no-harvest freediving, to foraging for crabs and clams, to spearfishing inshore or bluewater. I would love a chance to get in the water with someone knowledgable.

I consider myself an attentive dive buddy. I have an eight-year-old to get home to and I've seen blackouts so I don't feel comfortable without an attentive buddy to dive with. I'll watch as my buddy dives and keep an eye on them on the surface for 30-60 seconds after a dive, minimum. I'm up for plugging into any buddy system that makes sense.

If you're a local and would be willing to take me out, I will pay for 100% of the fuel, food, and expenses plus some extra for maintenance. I know it's expensive to keep a boat up and the costs are way more than the easy-to-see expenses like fuel.

I'm up for shore diving, renting a kayak, etc.

If there is a spearfishing or diving guide in the area, we can probably work something out on that front as well. If you are a spearfishing guide in these parts, please reach out.

I'd love to get some lobster, fish, etc. for the table. Though I love to hunt for the table, I'm also a conservationist. I adhere to the law and if you have self imposed limits, etc., I'm on board. I shoot to kill and won't be throwing baby fish over the gunnel all day. I'd rather pass on a borderline fish or a borderline shot opportunity than shoot just to get something in the boat. That said, you'll find no judgment from me if you prefer a good ol' fashioned meat haul.

I'm way early on planning and our schedule will probably flex quite a bit between now and then, so I probably won't be able to nail down hard dates until the trip approaches. It also could be that my only day in a certain area is a weekday. Plus, if you know anything about RV'ing, flat tires and vehicle issues can put a damper on the calendar. All that said, if there is a good diving opportunity, I will do my best to schedule around it.

So far, some of the locations we have our eye on are Old Mystic CT, Cape Cod, Salem, Nantucket, Belfast ME, and all the highway in between.

Thanks for reading and hopefully I will get to shake your hand when we get out there.

Cheers,

Will
Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:01 PM   #2
ctspearjunky
Ishootfish

Re: June 2019 trip to NY, CT, RI, MA, NH, ME

When your in mystic hit me up I have a 20ft CC we could get out to Block Island
ctspearjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 03:06 PM   #3
Charliex

Hi Will,
Im in Gloucester, MA. I believe there is and RV camp in town. It is great town to visit. It is about 20 minutes from Salem. I be happy to take you out in boat for some fishing. Good luck with your planning.
Charliex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:03 AM   #4
SHABUMI

Camp at beautiful Fort Getty on Jamestown. Awesome "Tow Sawyer" stuff for kids to do, campsite access to good water, quick drive to Beavertail, Newport, Fort Wetherill. We went every year when kids were young.
SHABUMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:36 PM   #5
EZsurf

you might contact Dave Hochman at " Spear-it". Awealth of information and will definitely put you on fish
EZsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:13 PM   #6
jersymudsniper

Newyork = bassbandit charters
Rhodeisland= spearit charters
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:06 PM   #7
Powers
Dad

Wow. Thank you for all the great responses. I'll reach out to you individually when I get back to my computer.

Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:55 PM   #8
MeTo

When your here pm me
MeTo is offline   Reply With Quote