Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:01 PM   #16
jfjf

Re: Big Mutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I've only seen one Mutton of that size. I was lobstering down in the keys when a big Mutton appeared for a short instance then dissapeared just as quick. I suspected that he was attracted by the noise of the lobster being caught. Although, subsequent attempts by me to attract such fish by manually imitating such sounds with a lobster head by rubbing their testicles upon their 'scraping' substrate proved unsuccessful. I've heard that others have been successful by doing such though.
I've never tried that Marcus. I'm not surprised you had limited success.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:44 AM   #17
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
I've never tried that Marcus. I'm not surprised you had limited success.
Damn spell check didn't work out too well that time. 'tentacles'
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:19 AM   #18
FalconSpearo

Quote:
Yea...I've done all those things. I've done ballerina dances down there cracking up molluscs, throwing sand in the air, trying to appear not interested, not look them in the eye or deliberately swim towards them...still haven''t got a nice Mutton like that.
That's great and all but have you tried the famous "Squid hands"? I find that squid hands work really well for all types of snapper and other species of fish as well.

I like to go down and wait about 30 seconds. Kick sand up into a nice cloud. Rub rocks together to mimic the sound of like a parrot fish eating and then when a nice fish approaches I start my squid hands technic and WHAM!

Works like a charm.

**In case you don't know what Squid Hands are: it is when you use your hand to mimic a squid by squeezing the tips of your fingers in and out.**
Old 03-29-2018, 09:23 AM   #19
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconSpearo View Post
**In case you don't know what Squid Hands are: it is when you use your hand to mimic a squid by squeezing the tips of your fingers in and out.**
Ok, I'll add that one to my act. If nothing else, they might just come in to observe the lunacy.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:26 PM   #20
Weapon X

Quote:
Although, subsequent attempts by me to attract such fish by manually imitating such sounds with a lobster head by rubbing their testicles upon their 'scraping' substrate proved unsuccessful. I've heard that others have been successful by doing such though.
****ing savage, man... those poor bastards!
Weapon X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 04:57 AM   #21
Shorediver

Nice mutton. I caught one a little bigger than that one a couple years ago while freediving in caves for grouper. That was one of the few muttons I have seen inside a cave and I have caught the vast majority of my muttons over the sand next to a reef.
Shorediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:44 AM   #22
kwyoungspear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorediver View Post
Nice mutton. I caught one a little bigger than that one a couple years ago while freediving in caves for grouper. That was one of the few muttons I have seen inside a cave and I have caught the vast majority of my muttons over the sand next to a reef.
It's always weird when you find one holed up, they're usually huge when they are though.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:53 AM   #23
FalconSpearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwyoungspear View Post
It's always weird when you find one holed up, they're usually huge when they are though.
The muttons I see in caves are usually there because they are trying to hide from me hehe usualy they hang around the edge of the reef in the grass/sand
Old 04-05-2018, 06:29 PM   #24
Shorediver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwyoungspear View Post
I agree that it is rare to see a mutton act like a grouper and hide in caves.That huge mutton was the biggest mutton I have caught while doing freedive spearfishing so far and I look towards to catching a bigger one later on. Muttons over 24" seem to be one of the most difficult fish to spear in Florida while freediving and I enjoy the challenge they present.
Shorediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:36 AM   #25
Scubadood

Send a message via Yahoo to Scubadood Send a message via Skype™ to Scubadood

Very Nice
Scubadood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 05:55 PM   #26
HARVESTER

Love it. Don't make eye contact works like a charm. Act like a Dog that just pissed/pooped on your pillow.
HARVESTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:42 AM   #27
riplipper
Relax, a beer will help

Marc, try rubbing your testicles together..