Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Northern Atlantic: New England States

Northern Atlantic: New England States An area for the cold water divers of the New England States.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-27-2015, 07:36 PM   #1
StriperRider

Getting the band back together

I am looking for a little advice on a band change up. Thanks in advance.

I have a Salvimar Voodoo 85. Stock band is ~22 inches of 18.5mm latex core. I cant find the stock band and even the raw band material is pretty expensive. So I am thinking about just using two smaller bands.

I thought that the combined draw weight/resulting muzzle velocity might be comparable if I kept the total cross sectional area of the bands equal to the current one. Does that sound reasonable? I wasn't able to find any good tables for band draw weights, but that would be even better.

If anyone has a good recipe to make this kind of swap please let me know! Thanks.
StriperRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:58 AM   #2
snackrifice
Aquarobot Powered by Fish

Re: Getting the band back together

Spearitco.com and neptonics both have 19mm for less than 10 bucks for 2 feet. Spearitco has some tables on band combinations and power too that will help you decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriperRider View Post

I have a Salvimar Voodoo 85. Stock band is ~22 inches of 18.5mm latex core. I cant find the stock band and even the raw band material is pretty expensive. So I am thinking about just using two smaller bands.

I thought that the combined draw weight/resulting muzzle velocity might be comparable if I kept the total cross sectional area of the bands equal to the current one. Does that sound reasonable? I wasn't able to find any good tables for band draw weights, but that would be even better.

If anyone has a good recipe to make this kind of swap please let me know! Thanks.

www.tristateskindivers.com
snackrifice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:17 AM   #3
carlock

Side note, just ordered from spearitco, fast free shipping with great gear! I buy all my band making material from them, I like their band tieing line best
carlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:38 AM   #4
jmorton
BlueDrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriperRider View Post

The 18.5mm rubber will produce appx 81lbs of force @ 300% stretch. That's a tough pull. And 62 lbs @ 200%.

5/8 is 59 lbs and 45 lbs
9/16 is 48 lbs and 36 lbs
1/2 is 38 lbs and 28 lbs

This will give you an idea. This is obviously for a specific brand of rubber. But should be plenty close. Seems like two 9/16 bands should do you fine.

I also assumed the 18.5mm was a standard 1/8 ID.

Henry Ford
jmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:56 AM   #5
StriperRider

Thanks for the advice. I've bought some polespear bands from spearitco and was happy. I ended up finding identical band material that I bundled with a different purchase to make it more affordable. It is a heavy draw but seems to get the job done.

I appreciate the discussion.
StriperRider is offline   Reply With Quote