Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2009 Tournament Archives > 1st. Annual Costa Rica Blue Water Hunting Open January 19-23, 2009

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-28-2009, 09:33 PM   #106
Daryl Wong

Re: 1st. Annual Costa Rica Blue Water Hunting Open

Aloha Guys

I've been home a few days and just now catching up on jet lag. Here are a few thoughts about the tournament. I go on blue water trips for the adventure. If I see a fish great. If I shoot one even better. I go in with no expectations and that way everything is a bonus. I've learned to be like this and enjoy the trip after doing this for 15 years now. I haven't come close to filling my fish wish list, but then that leaves me with lots of things to look forward too.

The Costa Rica Trip was a blast. The water was nice and blue three days out of five and the other days we stayed near shore because of the wind. But that is how Costa Rica is. I've been down there 5 times and thats about the norm. The beauty of the tournament is that because it is multi day, you have options when weather doesn't cooperate. My last dive tournament in the Gulf, I was blown out for four straight days.

There were a few glitches being this was the first tournament, but I know those can be taken care of easily by the next tournament. The accommodations were first rate. Better than any of my previous trips to Costa Rica. The food was excellent (buffet) every night and everyone had a great time.
I enjoyed the trip not so much because of the diving, but because there were so many divers from around the world and we all had a blast. Every day we switched boats and dive teams and this enabled all of us to get to dive together and know each other. Even though it was a tournament, everyone helped each other with gear and worked as a big team on each boat each day. I think because of this we all bonded together and had a great time. Every night at the weigh in and dinner it was like a big party. Everyone telling stories and having a great time.
I was happy to get to know the new divers and also to see a few of my friends I've known through my spearguns and travels.
If they have the second Costa Rica blue water tournament, I would highly recommend diving it. The hotel is world class and a few divers brought wives and there will be more bringing wives after seeing how nice the place was for family to hang out. There is much to do in the surrounding area. Rain Forrest trips, tours and you can also go into town to eat if you want to check out the small town.
The people are so friendly and I never felt unprotected as I sometimes did on my trips to other countries. One nice thing about Costa Rica. You can travel light. Bring only shorts and t shirts. It was hot and humid. Just like home to me! If you can dive the tournament, you'll have a blast.
Check out Phillipe's thread for the pictures.

I would like to thank all the divers who attended and hope we all can meet again to dive together. And to Phillipe and his lovely wife Elizabeth, thank you for being great hosts,taking great pictures and letting us experience the "Pura Vida" of Costa Rica. It reminded me of home.

Aloha,Daryl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tournament guns.SB.jpg
Views:	1307
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	93676  
Daryl Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:25 PM   #107
settingsteel
1Breath,1Shot,1Kill

Aloha Daryl, great feedback

Pura vida!!!
settingsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:57 PM   #108
ROBERTO REYES
MAN OVERBOARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadown16 View Post
Its a shame anytime a gun breaks, is lost, or just does not perform like it should... My heart goes out to you Roberto. But that many years and that many fish. Sometimes you just have to retire a classic and charis its sentamental value. Especially with the family ties in this case... Good luck to you and hope we can dive together someday...

James Hardesty
JAMES
I feel the same.
and its a small world, it would be
my pleasure to dive with you.
ROBERTO REYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:23 PM   #109
Toledo970

Great stories and pics. What I always enjoy the most aren't the stories of the actual fishing, but of the friendships made and people that are part of it. Thanx for sharing the stories.

Roberto,
do you have a gun to replace it? If "NO" what are you considering?
Toledo970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:02 PM   #110
SWAT

sounds like you guys and gals had a great tournament and lots of fun... again I hope you open the international competition to include some local slots!!!!!!
SWAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:11 PM   #111
virgili

Quote:
you open the international competition to include some local slots!!!!!!
Thank's for your feedback and welcome to the 2nd edition!
I opened the 2009 tournament to 3 (american) spearos who have been living in CR not far from Samara... they did registering, did until December 08 as if they will take part to the Open with their own boat, they received all the info I shared with the registered divers. At the time they never give any answer to my mails and never paid the deposit... I had to call them in December from CR and they finally inform me they changed their mind.(without any apologize)..!!
B.W.H. needs to be pretty patient!
virgili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:34 PM   #112
Spear CR
yes-yes

Pesky Americans.

Damn Barack, you sound like a broken record.
Spear CR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:02 PM   #113
ROBERTO REYES
MAN OVERBOARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAT View Post
sounds like you guys and gals had a great tournament and lots of fun... again I hope you open the international competition to include some local slots!!!!!!
NO WAY.
I would die of envy seen you guys shoot marlin, while we cant
:-)
ROBERTO REYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:16 PM   #114
bombard666
Bombard

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgili View Post
Thank's for your feedback and welcome to the 2nd edition!
I opened the 2009 tournament to 3 (american) spearos who have been living in CR not far from Samara... they did registering, did until December 08 as if they will take part to the Open with their own boat, they received all the info I shared with the registered divers. At the time they never give any answer to my mails and never paid the deposit... I had to call them in December from CR and they finally inform me they changed their mind.(without any apologize)..!!
B.W.H. needs to be pretty patient!
I am sorry, and as i explaind due to boat problems early in my season here i was unable to make it. However i did offer my boat and services for the tourney, just for the cost of gas. I never heard back. I would have loved to have been part of this event however, my boat had to take presidence. Anyway i hope to be part of the next event, this year has just been a tough one for me hopefully next year.
bombard666 is offline   Reply With Quote