Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 12-19-2016, 11:02 PM   #31
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Re: Pathos 125 Sniper....A new Gun...a whole new build...pics heavy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
There ARE gators in here, but they are terrified of me so I never get to see them. I drop in an do tests shots pretty regularly. Sadly its not clear enough to do videos, so I just shoot throughout the day and make my notes on the side of a jet ski with a wax pencil..

Haha, cool! And slightly scary. But I like geckos, so perhaps I should start thinking of your creatures as slightly larger geckos, with slightly larger teeth...

With crap viz and more and more powerful guns, you might one day tag one by mistake, haha.

Your cones are from...? Devoto?
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:04 PM   #32
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
5: Muzzle modification is near completion and it came out perfectly. Basically I wanted to make some plugs I could glue into place that would tighten up the band holes on the muzzle. All I will do is smooth them out, and glue them in tomorrow.

Wow, that's a cool mod!
I was thinking about making a plug for the normal Pathos open muzzle - also, it would increase band stretch about an inch on that muzzle with small ID 14mm bands. Now, I most certainly will.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:32 PM   #33
kwtony
Snorkel Master

I played with it a little bit more and managed to get it to bond to the muzzle and smooth out to almost look like it was from the factory.. I will probably remove it either way and 5200 it down in place. This is the tension on the bands....Im holding the gun in the air with the band, ZERO MOVEMENT!!!! WOOT WOOOOT!!!!

Old 12-19-2016, 11:43 PM   #34
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

For the plug, you used kwtonyium (AKA tinted Polymorph), too? No issues getting a good bond on it with 5200? (I guess if the plug wraps around on both sides it might just stay in place with the pressure from the bands.)
Old 12-19-2016, 11:48 PM   #35
kwtony
Snorkel Master

It does fit in nice and tight. But you know how the saying goes, "if it can break, it will" 5200 should have no issue sticking to it tho.

I have to say, this is a big weight off my shoulders getting these right. Now I dont have to worry about floppy bands. Typically if you just grab the wishbone and give it one pull, let off a teeny, then pull again it will straighten out, but I would much rather not have to do anything other then grab the band and go.

I am leaning more towards making this an open track gun...Ill have to sleep on it, and also see how much a barrel will run me as well..

Last edited by kwtony; 12-20-2016 at 05:40 AM.
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:00 AM   #36
spearq8

Quote:
Spearq8 and z1taz , you two are quite possibly some my favorite inspirations in my builds and several of the smartest people on this forum. Please for my sake, lets play nice in this thread.

Instead knocking eachother down, lets try to build each other up and learn from our collective knowledge. My goal is attract all kinds of input to help better this particular platform, and others in the future. You guys are some of the best people to add to this thread.

Thanks, I very much appreciate your invaluable input over years, its been a huge help.
Fair enough and I also don't like to derail this interesting thread ... but I am guessing this post is by the same person who posted the following on my youtube channel that also had me scratching my head ... not really sure why he is upset ... maybe you can decipher it

Ridiculous ! my advise is for you to convert yr pool in a sea water pool and load some live fishes in there ! another advice is to become a good spearo before to " bla bla bla " some advices on how to and what are the mods needed on guns to accuratly shot .
Ridiculous ! ha ha ha !

Again ... not sure if he is upset that I shoot styrofoam instead of fish or if he does not agree with some of the ideas I have ... or that he thinks my spearfishing skills need improving? I will let it pass.

Back to the thread ... I have to say I was not surprised that the sears were already damaged after only a few shots ... imagine what would happen if you pushed the load up and put in an 8mm shaft!!! I worked pretty hard and spent many hours to help get a good solid Pathos side line release trigger made ... I tested it and it worked incredibly well. Why Pathos is still not selling that trigger is a mystery to me. If interested, PM me and I might be able to contribute one of the triggers with side line release I beta tested. The sears on those were not cut super clean and are a little rough ... but they are kolsterized and they will never ever scratch.

Track: Here was my plan. Cut off the sides of the ET ... then take an 8.5mm shaft and lay a few layers of electric tape depending on how wide I want the track or what the largest diameter of shaft I will use. Each layer gives you about .17mm extra thickness. Initially I use one color tape ... that is the track ... then I reduce the track friction surface by using 3 layers of a different color tape leaving only 1 or 2 inches of track in each location. The idea is to use the ability of the steel shaft to hold itself ... and you only need track support in 3 or 4 locations. You then make sure that when you seat the shaft on the track that it is absolutely level and that shaft enters the trigger casing with minimal over head ... and then you tape the sides of the track to prevent over spill ... and mix a nice mix of epoxy + filler + graphite ... and lay it on the track ... and then just put your taped up shaft over it. It should imprint a nice low friction staggered track. This works really well.

As for the muzzle ... why are you so bothered about making the holes smaller? If it is not causing band tangles then no problem. I would worry more about placing a front "horn" to allow line over shaft. A loose band is a problem if the bands are in one slot as the short band can go over a long band ... but here I really don't see a problem ... except if I start getting band tangles. If so ... scratching the surface of the plastic and cleaning with acetone and then using marine epoxy putty is probably the best attempt to proceed.

As for long line release pin ... try this ... load the gun to only the rest tab with only one band and then take a shot in the open water. If the line unravels nicely with no snag ... then you have no problems. In my case it took me hours to figure out why I was losing accuracy ... and when I loaded it only on the rest tab the line would snag ... with full load the line would use up half its energy to unsnag from the pin and in the process killed accuracy and penetration. When shooting, it is really hard to tell if your line is snagging.
spearq8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:32 AM   #37
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
BACK TO THE THREAD ... I have to say I was not surprised that the ........gy to unsnag from the pin and in the process killed accuracy and penetration. When shooting, it is really hard to tell if your line is snagging.

Its not that Im super bothered by the muzzle holes, but the last guns issues were enough for me to source out an engineer and hires him to make the muzzles exactly the way I designed them to. My muzzles are the cats ass next to the new pathos line, but its really not even fair to compare the two now. Because I too could come up with an incredible muzzle for this platform if they paid me enough. Even then I might make one out of balsa and CF wrap it just for fun.

The Line guide or horn is about a 1 out of 10 on a scale of things im concerned about right now, after making a few of them over the years, I already know the angle, and the location of where this is going to happen.

Technically speaking this gun doesn't need anything to go out and kill fish, but im not the kind of person that wants to leave anything untouched. Since im going to go all out on this gun, I dont mind spend an hour on tuning something that may only save me .5 seconds in the water. However a properly functioning setup is key. You can rest assured that it will be tuned and tweaked to the max.

Pm sent on the trigger.

Thank you for respecting the simple wish of making this an informational thread and not a pissing match like the last 6 gun modification threads.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:02 AM   #38
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Here is a better photo of it smoothed out more. The texture is really amplified in this photo, while you can see it, its not really that easy to see unless you are looking hard at it. I will try to make them perfectly round later ( i swear im not ocd) and then see how they do. Since the 5200 needs 24 hours, I will just wait to glue them in for when I do my clear coat.

I am going to head to my paint shop today and see what my paint mixologist can mix me up. If she can give me a single stage gel coat with the kind of color POP that I want, I just might go that route. But I love my glossy clear coat and paint jobs, so we will see what happens today at J and J Sawyer...
Old 12-20-2016, 06:58 AM   #39
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Based off the fact that it appears the track is two stages I think that all I will need to do is simply take the top off down to the next step and there are two channels on either side that will support the spear very lightly. You can see it in your gun, but this is the best I could get with my iphone...

You can see the little chip in the second 'level' of the barrel.

You can see them best here in this photo. I put arrows on the track. This part here lines up perfectly with the track on the handle, so this will likely be what the spear will rest upon.

Petros said that they made this gun with the idea that it could be convertible. Uncle Petros also said that if I beg long enough, I should be able to arrange replacement barrel. With that in mind, I think today Im going to make this an open track. Based off my meticulous calculations (which is nothing more then a crayola picture on a bar napkin ) I shouldn't have to do anything other then that.

Last edited by kwtony; 12-20-2016 at 07:11 AM.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:47 AM   #40
kwtony
Snorkel Master

After spending more time playing with the handle, i realized that I needed a little bit more meat in the palm area of the grip. So I headed up my kettle, made some white, made some silver, blended and added it on....

Before...still a damn good grip

You can see just how much of my palm is still left open. For the best fitting handle that absorbs the most amount of recoil, this is where you need to focus on.

After, you can still see a little bit of palm, but i have too account for a thin glove and I also dont want a huge glob on there, this stuff will make a gun slightly negatives, so less is more here.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:21 AM   #41
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

You don't have your gloves at the moment?
Remember, the glove adds size in all directions so even thin gloves take up a lot of space. The handle I made with 1.5mm gloves is quite a loose fit without them.

What I do, and I could see Majd does it in his video, too is to wear a latex/nitrile glove on the outside of the glove so that the putty/polymorph doesn't stick to the glove when shaping the handle.

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 12-20-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:28 AM   #42
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Pathos 125 Sniper....A new Gun...a whole new build...pics heavy...

All good here bud, I use a thin rubber dipped glove. After a few dozen of these i can make them for gloves without the hassle of using them in the process.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:51 AM   #43
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
All good here bud, I use a thin rubber dipped glove. After a few dozen of these i can make them for gloves without the hassle of using them in the process.
Ah, I forgot this is #31 or so of them;-).
I'm a noob, next one will be #4th or so:-)
Old 12-20-2016, 09:00 AM   #44
kwtony
Snorkel Master

With the glove, it will leave a lot larger ridges and bumps that need more smoothing out. I can use my bare hand and just have to worry about small ridges and basic finger prints, just rub your finger lightly over it when its malleable and Itll smooth right out
Old 12-20-2016, 10:21 AM   #45
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Line release between D'angelo 2 and 3 handles

Last edited by kwtony; 12-20-2016 at 03:58 PM.