Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-20-2003, 07:49 PM   #1
jeffe
K-9 Rest Stop

2 shaft speargun, over & under, ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=47353
()_)--()_)----)_)

[
jeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:01 PM   #2
fishhunta

i saw those at dema.....kinda cool, kinda not. definately no ultimate
on the objects of benevolence,
the money of their constituents."
James Madison

www.variancharters.com
fishhunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 07:46 AM   #3
RabiSpear
Blake Gaylord

Definitely different. I bet you could get used to aiming it after a while. Cool concept. One of those things to bust out on the dock at a competition, not really to seriously use.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:16 AM   #4
Slay Ride

$300 bucks and it doesn't come with bands or shafts. phhhfff. I don't think so. Interesting concept though. Maybe I'm just ol' fashion or cheap, don't know.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:03 AM   #5
fernandezh
Homicidal Brown Monkey

Send a message via AIM to fernandezh Send a message via Yahoo to fernandezh
It says that it uses "standard shafts" What the hell is a standard shaft? JBL? Riffe? AB Biller?
fernandezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 12:10 PM   #6
Ace

Answers about the Ace XX two shaft speargun. It is made of billet aluminum, meaning the components are machined from a single piece of stock. It uses "Biller" type shafts. It comes without shafts and bands because the gun can be assembled to five different lengths. The mission is to make a gun that an individual can customize to the type of fishing he is doing on that dive. The gun comes with a bouyancy compensation package consisting of mahogany blocks that press into the open structure of the barrel. Some spear fishers feel the low swing resistance is more important than bouyancy. The gun weighs 2.5 lbs with no shafts. It disassembles, the longest part is 15 inches and can be packed in a briefcase. Thanks for your interest
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 08:08 PM   #7
Doc

Would you trust a gun from a company that cant spell precision(there website address) precisely? (see ebay)

The track is totally open; I bet its way inaccurate.

Whats the pont in breaking it down if you still need to carry long shafts? At least the jbl travel gun has a shaft that seperates.

If you have two shafts; shouldnt at least one come line-shafted?

AO divers in st pete has a double on display (not for sale ) that looks really cool.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 11:16 PM   #8
Sheri
So Little Time

Doc, he may have misspelled "precision", but you misused "there" (should be "their"), and you misspelled "what's", "point", and "separates".

More importantly, why are you being so critical and negative? The guy that engineered this has spent a lot of time and effort to come up with a creative new design. I don't see how you could possibly come up with your conclusions when you haven't even tried the gun. An open track does not necessarily mean the gun is inaccurate.

I applaud his efforts and hope he continues on his product development track and that he is successful.
Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 06:04 AM   #9
BobK

Quote:
Originally posted by Ace
Some spear fishers feel the low swing resistance is more important than bouyancy. The gun weighs 2.5 lbs with no shafts.
That's gonna be kinda heavy after an hour underwater. But more importantly, if you ever let go of this gun, which will be over 4 pounds negative with shafts, your're gonna find your neutral buoyancy just got WAY positive.

I think you really want to have a pretty neutral gun for those reasons.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:46 PM   #10
Doc

Yo Sheri chill out a little...

I ponted out ythe spelingg mistaik bicauz you couldnt get to the website as the graphic on the ebay site showed an incorrect website address; this has been fixed since (bekauz of?)my post.

The fact is I love the gun, at least in concept; but its definitely got some design flaws. Id love a double shafted line/free shaft gun that was reasonably priced, complete, neutrally bouyant and broke down... who wouldnt? But this gun aint it; at least not yet.

Besides, Im sure that ace (he seems to be affiliated with the maker) is capable of sticking up for the gun himself AND perfecting this concept gun to its full capability; at least if he gets some honest and constructive feedback...
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 08:13 PM   #11
Chad Carney
Dive Instructor & Captain

Doc,

Sheri was graciously lenient by stopping her comment on the rest of your botched post:

"shouldnt at least one come line-shafted? AO divers in st pete has a double on display (not for sale ) that looks really cool."

Then you imparted this whirlwind of wisdom:

"Yo Sheri chill out a little...

I ponted out ythe spelingg mistaik bicauz you couldnt get to the website as the graphic on the ebay site showed an incorrect website address; this has been fixed since (bekauz of?)my post.

The fact is I love the gun, at least in concept; but its definitely got some design flaws. Id love a double shafted line/free shaft gun that was reasonably priced, complete, neutrally bouyant and broke down... who wouldnt? But this gun aint it; at least not yet.
Besides, Im sure that ace (he seems to be affiliated with the maker) is capable of sticking up for the gun himself AND perfecting this concept gun to its full capability; at least if he gets some honest and constructive feedback..."

Man, that's enough to choke a second grade English teacher to death!

So Doc... honestly, I did not think much of the design either.
The guy will probably spend a lot of money he can't afford to lose, so if that happens, I say let that be his lesson!

So why don't you chill out a little?

Furthermore, you're right in my back yard and we could probably help each other do business if you'd get a positive outlook!

Chad Carney

Located in Isles of Capri, FL
Charters for Spearfishing, Wrecks & Reefs in SW Florida

Last edited by Chad Carney; 10-25-2003 at 10:49 AM.
Chad Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 08:52 PM   #12
Sheri
So Little Time

Well, Chad, I wasn't trying to hammer Doc on his English as much as I was trying to make a point. I just found it amusing that he was criticizing someone else's English when his own was not too good.

Maybe he was trying to help with "honest and constructive" feedback, but the tone sounded critical and demeaning. I hate that. Here you have someone who is at least trying to create something new....if you are really going to give the guy some constructive feedback, at least try the gun, or say something meaningful. They keep talking about the bouyancy. He already made the point that you can attach mahogany blocks if you value neutral bouyancy over streamlined design. I've yet to hear a comment that adds value or suggests a way to improve it. Must be the engineer in me.

Ace, keep going, don't give up. Have you thought of reproducing the Ultimate? I don't know what was so great about it, but some of the old timers rave about it. I know it was metal, and I hear that was a heavy gun too. You familiar with it? I'd like to know what was so great about it if anybody out there knows.
Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 11:50 PM   #13
SpearDiverTampa
Controversial User

Send a message via AIM to SpearDiverTampa
Doc you better watch out for the Spearfishing Magazine Daryl Wong tag-team Personally, I thought the gun was badass. When that grouper I miss whips around, I would be able to nail him with the second shaft.
-Chris

Last edited by SpearDiverTampa; 10-24-2003 at 11:53 PM.
SpearDiverTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 07:31 AM   #14
Charlestondivin

Quote:
Originally posted by **********Tampa
I thought the gun was badass. When that grouper I miss whips around, I would be able to nail him with the second shaft.
-Chris
Thats what I'm talking about! Every time I miss a nice grouper he alway turns around and hangs out in easy range till i reload. Wait, did i just admit to missing?
Charlestondivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 11:03 AM   #15
diligaf

Quote:
Originally posted by **********Tampa
Doc you better watch out for the Spearfishing Magazine Daryl Wong tag-team Personally, I thought the gun was badass. When that grouper I miss whips around, I would be able to nail him with the second shaft.
-Chris
Here is a picture of the double gun or “dually” setup I used for years. This picture is JBL Woody Magnums and I have a set of Ultimate guns setup the same way. This is the only way I have found to get a true and accurate second shot. It also allows you to free shaft on one side and line shaft on the other. The downside is you have more drag and two guns can get heavy. The old Ultimate double barrel was a good gun, but the second shot was not that accurate (less pull and you are firing from the bottom of the gun).

To answer Sheri’s question, the old Ultimate guns are good, not great. They are very heavy duty, have a unique trigger/safety mechanism, and are a fairly accurate gun. On the downside, they were a little loud when fired and a little heavy. But you could really beat the piss out of a shark with one.

Ace, have you thought about using foam filling instead of floater wings? I like the open design of the gun, it should swing easy, but if you add floater wings, it may add buoyancy but create more drag???

Oh and one final note…the Spear Fishing Magazine/Daryl Wong tag team ARE badasses!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0011.jpg
Views:	978
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	5084  

Last edited by diligaf; 10-25-2003 at 11:15 AM.
diligaf is offline   Reply With Quote