Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 01-30-2016, 06:36 AM   #1
willstroo

How did i not see this here yet..?!

New Aimrite double roller pipe spearguns now available!!

http://www.aimrite.com.au/products/custom-x-spearguns/

They arent cheap as a complete setup, but they look VERY impressive, very well thought out.. Note the secondary guiding roller for the front bands.

If those roller heads start becoming available without the whole gun, ill be ordering one straight away!!

Sparky
willstroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:16 AM   #2
paolo

Re: How did i not see this here yet..?!

sweet, thanks for posting. I was just looking for that roller head, was wondering if they were already selling it separately. I hope they do soon
paolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:43 PM   #3
willstroo

I hope they do..!!!!
Old 01-31-2016, 01:07 AM   #4
quattroluvr
Leigh

Send a message via Skype™ to quattroluvr

yikes. I just wrote up a Koah roller report... then saw this exotic double-roller... but the Aimrite price is roughly 2x to 3x more than than Koah's price (not figuring in exchange rate properly tho).
quattroluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 04:03 AM   #5
spearq8

I think it was only a matter of time before something like this came up. Would be interesting to see how this thing shoots! I think a single roller is under powered when compared to a classic 2 banded gun, but for sure 2 rollers would be more powerful. The thing is ... have they upgraded the other components in the gun to handle this additional load? Will the reverse trigger handle this load without getting damaged? Also this type of gun would only give an advantage if using 8mm to 9mm shafts. Has additional buoyancy been factored in to handle these heavier shafts?
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:00 AM   #6
Kevin Sheets

Where can we get these muzzles? I want to convert a gun to double roller
Kevin
Kevin Sheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:23 PM   #7
quattroluvr
Leigh

Send a message via Skype™ to quattroluvr

Hi Spearq8, yep, a common problem with roller-conversions is too light a spear for optimal roller performance, which has maybe put off some people against rollers unnecessarily. Your point and mine, and Koah's is that a roller gun needs to be designed uniquely as a complete SYSTEM to take advantage of roller concept. And thanks much for your sage advice about guns over the last couple years.
quattroluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:48 PM   #8
willstroo

Are there any dealers on the forum that can ship this double roller muzzle to Australia?

http://www.aimriteusa.com/shop/roller-head

I cant get it shipped to Australia :-(
Old 05-08-2016, 01:08 AM   #9
spearq8

Has anyone tried testing these? Would like to know if they shoot low.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:01 AM   #10
willstroo

Actually.. Just found this!

https://www.mvd-retail.gr/index.php/...er-head-detail

Fits all makes, not just Aimrite stuff. I do have to say though, the design of the Aimrite is better thought out, the secondary pulley for the back of the muzzle to help guide the front bands is nice.

Hrmmm, just need to find someone to chime in with some experiences with either!
Old 05-08-2016, 09:55 AM   #11
spearq8

The quality of the MVD single roller head was terrible and I don't recommend it. Maybe they improved things, but I would not buy anything MVD again unless it has been tested first.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:17 PM   #12
willstroo

I heard the first MVD products had some teething issues, but apparently they have improved over time. A shop over in Sydney is a big advocate of their stuff now, and they are not easily won over. If it doesn't work, he wont stock it generally.

So im tempted to give it a go..
Old 05-08-2016, 09:27 PM   #13
jstiver09

Buy one and pool test it. Use some thick foam for penetration...report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:55 PM   #14
willstroo

I think the shop are going to set one up as a trial / demo, and will give me a go before purchasing. Will have to wait and see how it performs.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:46 AM   #15
spearq8

It does say that they are using Titanium for the wishbone holder now ... the SS one would cave in with even a little pre-stretch. Have to wonder how much testing some of these products go through. It almost seems that they come up with a product ... sell it ... wait for feedback ... and then try and fix things. A person paying for a product should not be used as a beta tester ... that is just not right.

As for rollers, I will put up a big roller test that I used with a Pathos 82 kit. I suggest you wait and see results there first as it has a lot of data that is relevant with all roller setups. I found that you could get a decent roller setup that shot accurately, but power is a problem that needs to be addressed. It seemed like the more power I added the faster the shaft would dive. The best results were with a setup that had very little or no pre-stretch ... but then you don't have the power you need. I am starting to think that with rollers things work differently than with classic setups ... in a sense that very thick bands might actually be beneficial as you can set them up with no pre-stretch. Maybe time to bring the old 20mm bands back ... but obviously rollers need to be designed for these thick bands and most seem to take 16mm at max. Another idea might be to use a system similar to what the Beuchat revolution uses ... where there is a plastic ring that prevents band tension in pushing the tail of the shaft down. After more than 10 long sessions in the pool with many many different roller setups ... I am convinced more than ever that rollers are just a waste of time. Even with totally maxed out pre-stretch where I would consider the difficulty pull back required to around Primeline 14.5mm bands @ 400% ... I just was not able to get close to the power of two 2 x 13.7mm bands that took only a few seconds to load ... but even then ... hitting a target is very difficult as trajectory of shaft is diving very quickly. If there is no advantage with even an 82cm gun ... then forget the longer guns! The only positive thing I could see is that it seems that there is a lot less pressure on the shaft sears ... so maybe you can get away with weaker trigger sears. But roller design still has a ways to go ... it needs to find a way to get more power without having the wishbone push the back tail of the shaft down ... that is maybe why the future of rollers is in invert rollers.

Last edited by spearq8; 05-09-2016 at 03:00 AM.