Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-23-2004, 09:39 PM   #1
snowblind

Send a message via AIM to snowblind
Uwatec Aladin Air, ERR

I have one. The other day I opened up the case and the screen shows 'err'. I called both Uwatec and a local dive shop and they said it probably needs the battery replaced and it will be around $100. Is this absurd? Does anyone know how to replace the battery and can tell me how to do it ? When I bought the computer I thought battery replacements were free and now.... 100 bones?
snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 08:42 AM   #2
TGuthrie
Freeshaft'em

You can't do it your self, and don't try to open it up, even if you did you won't find a battery for it. It actually might not be the battery but only uwatec will be able to tell. If you send it to them they might offer to give you a new one for about $400, killer deal.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:29 AM   #3
DiverSpear
Premeditated Fish Murder

Send a message via AIM to DiverSpear
Uwatec err

3 things:

1. If you bought the unit from an authorized dealer battery replacement is free. Don't let anyone tell you different.

2. If you know someone with the Uwatec memo mouse they might be able to unlock the unit. By using the wake-up feature of the memo mouse software. The memo mouse and it's software is what is used to download the computer data to your PC. Sometimes the dive computer will lock up. Usually it is because deco was violated.

3. The battery in the unit is a gel cell. They last any where from 3-7 years depending on how much you dive. The gell cell must be soldered into place. When Uwatec replaces a battery they also calibrate the unit and pressure test it.

I dive with an Uwatec computer so if you need anymore help contact me.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:21 PM   #4
zds3488

I also dive a uwatec. Diverspear is absolutely correct!
Old 01-25-2004, 04:19 PM   #5
snowblind

I intend to construct the 2way generic interface (memomouse without the memory capability) next week... hopefully I can tell my aladin to 'wakeup' like you suggested-- however, it was just sitting around for awhile and then popped up the err signal so I think it is either the battery or something worse.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:35 PM   #6
snowblind

I just got a two-way interface to use the 'wake-up' feature of datatalk. WELL, I hooked up the two leads to the aladin and whoooa the LCD screen lights up like when it it turning on (all the little symbols come on) and then about 3 seconds of that and it just turns off. I then tried to turn it on and it beeps and goes back to 'Err'. Humpf. I then tried the wake-up feature and it comes up with "service necessary". Well I guess it is off to the factory for either a battery replacement or worse. This might get expensive.... I saw a 'like-new' (10 dives) aladin air in way better condition than mine (250 dives) on ebay and it sold for $250.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:46 PM   #7
SPEARIT

Scubapro/Uwatec was offering an upgrade to Air Z so you may want to check on that first before buying another one.
SPEARIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 06:12 AM   #8
DiverSpear
Premeditated Fish Murder

Service

Based on what you said it sounds like it just needs a battery. I wouldn't sweat it. Battery replacements are free. The Air Z upgrade is for users that have the Air X with the faulty algorithm.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:26 AM   #9
SPEARIT

Guess I should be real happy that when I sent an Air-X in to Scubapro that only needed a battery replacement(The Air-X Nitrox were the only ones effected by the recall); they upgraded it to an Air Z Nitrox for $300.00

Last edited by SPEARIT; 02-02-2004 at 10:46 AM.
SPEARIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 03:31 PM   #10
Chad Carney
Dive Instructor & Captain

Snowblind,

Your Aladin Air computer is long out of warranty, one year only. That model does not work with nitrox so you may want to bail out on it. Call Scubapro/Uwatec at 800-467-2822 to inquire about it.

Uwatec computers have never been FREE to service batteries unless within the warranty period and meeting a list of other conditions. Since that usually does not happen for 4 or more years they are still a great value.

Read the downloadable manual with warranty section from
http://www.uwatec.com/PDF/Aladin_Air...ir_US_feet.pdf

I was a store manager and authorized dealer of Uwatec products from 1995 through 2000. About half way through that time Scubapro bought Uwatec. We probably sold more than any other single store in the country during that period. (At least in the top 5)

Chad Carney
Located in Isles of Capri, FL
Charters for Spearfishing, Wrecks & Reefs in SW Florida

Last edited by Chad Carney; 01-31-2004 at 03:46 PM.
Chad Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 10:24 AM   #11
DiverSpear
Premeditated Fish Murder

Batteries

You are right about the Aladin Air computer however with selected models the battery replacement is free for life.

Quote:
The Batteries For Life program is a free battery replacement program on select dive computers*. The batteries in qualifying SCUBAPRO UWATEC dive computers have an extremely long life, however, when they do need to be replaced, SCUBAPRO UWATEC replaces them for free. Once you have registered your qualified computers with SCUBAPRO UWATEC, you are automatically enrolled in this program. Simply send your computer to SCUBAPRO UWATEC and we will replace the batteries, test all functions and return your computer, at no charge ($150.00 value). Warranty repair parts are covered separately as outlined in the warranty information included with the computer.
Quote:
*Smart COM, Smart PRO, Sport Plus, Pro Ultra, Air Z Nitrox and Air Z O2.
This came from scubapro website.

http://www.scubapro.com/registration/faq_batteries.asp

Hope this helps with out starting anything.