Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Northern Atlantic: New England States

Northern Atlantic: New England States An area for the cold water divers of the New England States.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:54 PM   #1
Totoop

New Bedford Commercial Fishing Arrest

Reading the news and came across this story:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/26/us/nor...ted/index.html

I'm sure there are probably better write ups out there but interesting enough. I moved to New Bedford a few months ago, bummer to hear something so big has been going on for who knows how long.....glad I had been going to a different fish market this winter.
Totoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:08 PM   #2
Postyoa28

Re: New Bedford Commercial Fishing Arrest

You're in New Bedford?

I'm over there pretty regularly. Give me a shout if you want to get on the water when it warms up. I'm over in Bourne now, so not too far.
Postyoa28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:11 AM   #3
Totoop

Sent ya a PM
Old 03-09-2016, 03:19 PM   #4
Totoop

Actually looks like he's been at it for awhile, came across this while looking at Tuna Regs:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...194650751.html

Real winner of a guy, glad he finally got busted.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:39 AM   #5
StriperRider

Poachers gonna poach.
StriperRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:20 AM   #6
Totoop

This is the best part:

"We didn't try to hide anything. We did everything by the book. Nobody ever told me we couldn't catch it with a net.......I wanted to sell the fish while it was fresh instead of letting it age on the boat, It was a beautiful fish."

This guy is a career fisherman, and you expect the feds to believe you when you plead ignorance. I know you don't want the fish to sit long before it sells but come on, sounds more like you were just trying to dump it before you got caught. Meanwhile we can't shoot stripers here in Mass because we'll destroy the population....
Old 03-10-2016, 12:10 PM   #7
StriperRider

We cant shoot stripers because the R&R anglers are a larger group of folks and want to protect "their fish". It has ***** all to do with conservation. Hypocrites.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:51 PM   #8
StriperRider

Hook and line mortality is like 10% and they touch a lot of fish.... just saying
Old 03-12-2016, 06:18 AM   #9
kehloken

Seen this a while back.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...w5J/story.html
Old 03-12-2016, 10:47 AM   #10
Totoop

"..Authorities said Rafael, who owns more than 40 fishing vessels ported in New Bedford and Gloucester.."

I've seen his boats both up in Gloucester and down here in New Bedford and unfortunately for us all they are not small....Hey, maybe cod will start recovering on the North Shore now
Old 03-12-2016, 03:05 PM   #11
North Star
Max

What a dummy. Telling the feds posing as mobsters the whole story of his illegal activities step by step to boost the value of his company in their eyes, to get a better selling price.

Hope he rots in jail a long time, and forfeits all of his wealth to the government. He deserves to die under a bridge somewhere while living in a hobo camp.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:17 AM   #12
TPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post
What a dummy. Telling the feds posing as mobsters the whole story of his illegal activities step by step to boost the value of his company in their eyes, to get a better selling price.

Hope he rots in jail a long time, and forfeits all of his wealth to the government. He deserves to die under a bridge somewhere while living in a hobo camp.
Hahahahahaha

He'll get a slap on the wrist just like the last dozen times he's been caught.

The boats are worth nothing (and the prior article is wrong, he doesn't have 40+ boats), its the millions of dollars of catch shares he holds that matter.
TPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:46 PM   #13
Totoop

Normally I would assume a slap on the wrist given how these cases usually go. However, it seems like he may have gotten those previous slaps while the feds were investigating him to build a larger case. Seems like they really are trying to get him to go down hard for this.

https://www.undercurrentnews.com/201...s-feds-allege/

That article goes over how his fraud was being done and his estimated worth. You're right it does seem like his quota shares are included in his worth although it does seem to go well beyond them, also I would assume that they would've been retracted by now but maybe they can't unless he is found guilty?

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/artic...NEWS/160309855

This seems to be the most current story about the case, seems a bit odd that the prosecutor wasn't able to show whether or not he is a Portuguese citizen.

The international poaching market is something like fourth in value after drugs, guns, and people.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:48 AM   #14
StriperRider

My buddy had a good idea: don't let those captains/boats fish for a year. Hit them in the wallet. They were all complicit and clearly knew what was going on.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:21 PM   #15
TPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoop View Post
Normally I would assume a slap on the wrist given how these cases usually go. However, it seems like he may have gotten those previous slaps while the feds were investigating him to build a larger case. Seems like they really are trying to get him to go down hard for this.

https://www.undercurrentnews.com/201...s-feds-allege/

That article goes over how his fraud was being done and his estimated worth. You're right it does seem like his quota shares are included in his worth although it does seem to go well beyond them, also I would assume that they would've been retracted by now but maybe they can't unless he is found guilty?

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/artic...NEWS/160309855

This seems to be the most current story about the case, seems a bit odd that the prosecutor wasn't able to show whether or not he is a Portuguese citizen.

The international poaching market is something like fourth in value after drugs, guns, and people.
Who cares what the substandard times says? Plenty of word on the street, and it all points to a slap on the wrist.

Even the Mayor of NB was schtupping to make sure he didn't lose the boats OR the catch shares because of the impact it would have on many families.

Let the games continue!
TPG is offline   Reply With Quote