Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2008 Tournament Archives > World Cup Laz Paz Bluewater Tournament - July 14-18, 2008

World Cup Laz Paz Bluewater Tournament - July 14-18, 2008 The third World Cup Bluewater will be held in La Ventana Mexico in July

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-20-2008, 01:09 AM   #1
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Smile World Cup Laz Paz Bluewater Tournament - July 14-18, 2008

This just in from our man Dennis:

Hi everyone,

The website for the worldcup is up and running.

go to www.20fathoms.com/worldcup, and take a look.

Ken Okutake has done a fabulous job on it, and we will continue to update and add as we go.

I hope everyone is good, and look forward to hearing from you all.

Take care.

Dennis

Dennis Haussler

Redwood City CA

www.20fathoms.com

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:15 AM   #2
dennishaussler

Re: World Cup Laz Paz Bluewater Tournament - July 14-18, 2008

Hi everyone,
I wanted to let you all know the dates for this years meet are july 14-18.
We have a tremendous sponsor backing this year, with Riffe, Daryl Wong,
Pelaj, Rob Allen and Florida Freedivers, SeaSniper, Hawaiin Skin Diver, Hammerhead, Palapas Ventana, Imersion, Mares, 20Fathoms, and probably a few more lending theyre gear to make this another incredible prize table, as well as the CASH purse!!
This year shooting for 5000$ purse, AND we will donate to the local school construction fund again.
Please take a look at the website, www.20fathoms.com/worldcup, for details, rules, and application if interested.
It promises to be a great event, even GR Tarr, the tournament junky is coming again!!

Contact me at dennis@20fathoms.com if you have any questions.
Thanks,
Dennis Haussler
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HSD_AD_final copy (Medium).jpg
Views:	1514
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	69946  

120 ft
Cause its a long way up,,,,,,,,
dennishaussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:03 PM   #3
deepdown

Good luck Dennis.

I had a blast last year, but unfortunately scheduling conflicts won't allow me to participate this year. It was a great, well organized event, with a bunch of great divers. I hope the weather cooperates this time around.

Gerald
Old 02-20-2008, 03:54 PM   #4
kill shot
PELAGIC POKER!!!!

Website looks great Dennis, looking forward to coming down there.

Eric
Old 02-26-2008, 03:24 PM   #5
scubadown16

If your interested in doing this tournament. DON'T WAIT you will need to send in you deposit right away. Dennis makes this a great meat by only allowing a certain number of divers. We have an outstanding list of divers again this year already and spots are filling up fast. This is going to be an awesome year. We have Three female divers already with Sheri Daye more then likely filling in for our fourth. So ladies don't think this is just a mans tournament. We also have several new blue water divers coming this year too. So for those of you who want to try the blue water hunting thing. Come on and do it. This is a fun, friendly, and exciting time. Don't wait. I look forward to seeing you all there again for the third time.
James Hardesty
scubadown16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:10 AM   #6
Shroomy

James how do you think i would do in this tourney? Is my skill level even close? what depths are most fish shot? What kind of breathhold do i need? What types of guns are shot? I wanted to compete in this tourney last year and pussed out.
Shroomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:50 PM   #7
dennishaussler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomy View Post
James how do you think i would do in this tourney? Is my skill level even close? what depths are most fish shot? What kind of breathhold do i need? What types of guns are shot? I wanted to compete in this tourney last year and pussed out.
Shroomy,
Theres more than one reason to come to this meet. Its a great time, coupled with the chance to meet and dive with divers from all over the world.
Lots of stories, comparing gear, exchanging info, not to mention being in the right place at the right time may just put you on the winners stand.
Most of the fish will be taken in the top 30-40 ft of water, so depth is not to much of an issue.
Breath hold times are not real important, as your not working deep depths. If you can do 45-90 second dives, your in the game.
Most of the gear will be big to real big guns, mostly wooden with slip tips, multi band, and float lines.
Some guys will use railguns, I probably will for certain species, but will also use a wooden game gun.
PM me at dennis@20fathoms.com if you need more answers.
Dennis

120 ft
Old 03-16-2008, 07:44 PM   #8
Tim Hatler
Spearboard Sponsor

PALAPAS VENTANA - BAJA

Palapas Ventana is proud to once again be working with Dennis to host this years World Cup.....we look forward to seeing everyone back in BAJA!! This year' dates are looking very FISHY!!
La Ventana, Baja Mexico
tim@palapasventana.com
www.palapasventana.com
310 594 DIVE
Tim Hatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:18 AM   #9
scubadown16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomy View Post
Nate,
Your level of freediving is excellent for this tournament. So don't think you couldn't compete. As Dennis stated. Most of these fish are shot in the first 60 feet of water. I seen a sailfish at 30 feet. Dorado at 10 feet, Milk fish at 35 feet. Its a matter of being in the right place at the right time. Ian "Pucko" Puckaridge had big wahoo right next to him close to the surface when there were other guys in the same area. He also shot a 50pound plus Rooster Fish in I believe less then 15 feet of water. So your diving is not going to be a problem. Equipment is what you need... I am happy to loan you a big wooden gun. I even have a 120 carbon aimrite I won from last years meet that I am happy to loan you if you need a large railgun. (Thanks Rick for your wonderful sponsorship) You can make a bungee line for pretty cheap. You'll need a float that is good size... Something like a 30L hippo float from rob allen or a torpedo float from Riffe. The thing you need to remember is that this is a learning game. You will always be learning something. But you'll never learn a thing by sitting at home because you pussed out. The guys and gals you'll meet down there are the type of guys and gals that will help you out and give you good information. Dennis has put this tournament together with that in mind. Its fun, friendly, but also competitive. We sit around at night sharing stories, joking around with one another, and making lasting memories for a life time. You will leave this tournament with a greater knowledge of diving and hunting as well as a wanting to comeback and compete some more. If you have more questions don't hesitate to call Dennis or Pm him. My first year I must have called him once a week for months. He never made me feel un-welcomed. He answered every question and helped me out a bunch. Or call me you have my number. Take care Nate and I hope you'll come to this tournament.
James Hardesty
scubadown16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:06 AM   #10
dennishaussler

I still have some openings left for the World Cup this year.
We have a HUGE table of prizes, and some really big talent coming, with a great
CASH purse!!!
Come on down and see if you can give them a run for the money!
If you have any questions, please contact me and I';ll do what I can to help.
Hope to hear from you all.
Dennis

120 ft
Old 05-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #11
Wilddiver
Daryl Balfour

Damn, couldn't make it last year October and was hoping for this year. Now my nephew is getting married in London that weekend so looks like I have to miss out again...next year!!!

Safe, Selective, Sustainable Seafood!
www.wildphotossafaris.com
www.diving-action.com
Wilddiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:56 PM   #12
Tim Hatler
Spearboard Sponsor

PALAPAS VENTANA - BAJA

Hi everyone - here is your Baja tournament fish report so you can get stoked!!!

water temp is 76 and climbing with a huge new bulge of warm water coming up from the cape

small amberjack are here now to 35 lbs, only a few lunkers have been seen so far- - big pargon, cabrilla, and pargo Liso still on the move - billfish outside the island - - stripers and velas in packs of 2's and threes - layin on the surface beggin for a spearo

and dorado on the 88 buoys and closer buoys on the backside - - good size but they show up and then disappear for the next time -

vis is 50 feet margaritas are cold....and wish you were here
La Ventana, Baja Mexico
tim@palapasventana.com
www.palapasventana.com
310 594 DIVE
Tim Hatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:41 PM   #13
dennishaussler

Update entries

well,
heres the way it stands 1 month before the 3 annual world cup.
bluewater boy, cameron kirkconnell has signed on as team Riffe, along with Mark Healey from HI, pro surf dude.
Seamus Callaghan and Craig Dockendorf have also been added to the roster.
Two brothers from Algeria are working on getting theyre visas together, so may have them along as well.
Fish are showing up strong, with reports of BIG amberjack, wahoo, striped marlin, dorado, roosters, the list is filling up!!!
We should have about 24-25 competitors, and TONS of top notch gear for the prize table, as well as Modello beer has stepped forward to cover the event, even bringing the big lunged Modello girls to hand out the gift packs!!
I can't wait!!!!!!
If your coming, see ya there, if not, sorry about that, but theres always next year.

120 ft
Old 06-12-2008, 10:57 PM   #14
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Thumbs up Re: Update entries

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennishaussler View Post
well,
bluewater boy, cameron kirkconnell has signed on as team Riffe, along with Mark Healey from HI, pro surf dude.
Two brothers from Algeria are working on getting theyre visas together, so may have them along as well.
Fish are showing up strong, with reports of BIG amberjack, wahoo, striped marlin, dorado, roosters, the list is filling up!!!
We should have about 24-25 competitors, and TONS of top notch gear for the prize table, as well as Modello beer has stepped forward to cover the event, even bringing the big lunged Modello girls to hand out the gift packs!!
I can't wait!!!!!!
If your coming, see ya there, if not, sorry about that, but theres always next year.
Sounds great Dennis!

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:55 PM   #15
monster slayer
Sexy Beast

Re: Update entries

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennishaussler View Post
well,
I can't wait!!!!!!

The Amberjack reports are in the 100 lbs range Dennis!! This one is going to be great..
monster slayer is offline   Reply With Quote