Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 04-23-2018, 02:48 PM   #1
jadairiii

I found a fish - Update

That did not belong on the reef. The ocean was just way too calm on Friday, so before work I grabbed the mask and fins and spent a half hour snorkeling off the beach, north of Sunrise Blvd. And what do a see? Possibly a Lagoon Trigger fish from the Indo-Pacific. Crazy thing, I knew it was a trigger fish but not one I had ever seen before, plus, it was reacting to me completely different than the other fish on the reef.

Reached out to a professor I know at NSU Marine school to report it. Filled out a report NSU sent me (the link), then later in the morning the Director of Special Projects Reef Environmental Education Foundation called and I spoke to him. Based on my description they are pretty sure of my ID, plus they was it was acting is clear it was a fish tank release. I was told FWC also reported it late Friday.

Why people dump their exotic fish in the ocean is beyond me!

Last edited by jadairiii; 04-26-2018 at 01:22 PM.
jadairiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:10 PM   #2
grouperdown

Re: I found a fish

That's crazy. People don't think about the consequences to there actions. That's how invasive species take over areas.
grouperdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:20 PM   #3
SEATUX

I have to ask...why didn't you shoot the damn thing?!
It would have been easier to correctly identify, and it would have been taken out of the ecosystem.
Just asking..
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:25 AM   #4
jadairiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
I have to ask...why didn't you shoot the damn thing?!
It would have been easier to correctly identify, and it would have been taken out of the ecosystem.
Just asking..
Well, for one, no gun, it was just a fun dive. And 2, I could have been wrong, and therefore shooting an ornamental that was not invasive.(which last time I checked was frowned upon by FWC).

Next time I will dive with a laptop and my gun.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:46 AM   #5
riplipper
Relax, a beer will help

Looked it up, cool and beautiful fish. Says they grow to 30cm, that is a big ornamental.

"Why didn't you shoot the damn thing??"
Old 04-26-2018, 01:22 PM   #6
jadairiii

Just got word from USGS, they captured "my" fish today
Old 04-27-2018, 03:44 PM   #7
Shorediver

Doesn't surprise me one bit you found a lagoon triggerfish while diving in South Florida. I saw a clownfish like the one in the Finding Nemo in the Miami area when I first started to freedive about 20 years or so ago. A couple years after that I started to see lionfish and now lionfish are very common in the reefs of South Florida. Lets see what new species of exotic saltwater fish is the next to become established in South Florida.
Shorediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:25 PM   #8
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorediver View Post
Doesn't surprise me one bit you found a lagoon triggerfish while diving in South Florida. I saw a clownfish like the one in the Finding Nemo in the Miami area when I first started to freedive about 20 years or so ago. A couple years after that I started to see lionfish and now lionfish are very common in the reefs of South Florida. Lets see what new species of exotic saltwater fish is the next to become established in South Florida.
"it's my constitutional right" to own these invasive fish...and to give them there freedom when I'm tired of them. It is also my "Right" to own cobras ( in my house, no less) and guess what,,they sometimes get loose!

BUT...That's Florida!
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:13 AM   #9
Shorediver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
It is also my "Right" to own cobras ( in my house, no less)
Don't forget Burmese pythons. I caught a 10 foot Burmese python recently and humanely euthanized it. Called FWC and told them where I caught it. They where very happy and they encourage anyone who is brave enough to hunt these snakes down since they are eating many of South Florida's native wildlife.
Shorediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:14 AM   #10
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

I blame it on the mindless progressive egocentric puppets that act solely upon feewings and are devoid of any critical thinking skills. The Miami area has become infected by them, which BTW, is where the Python problem started from.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law

Last edited by Marcus; 04-28-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote