Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 10-13-2006, 10:47 AM   #46
SeaBass
shamwow

Re: New Aimrite reel

Hey Bmac, can you give us a rundown of advantages vrs. disadvantages to that purple line .... I am getting so sick of mono (the line not the disease). And if it is that great, where to order?
SeaBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:10 AM   #47
Bill McIntyre

Well, one advantage is that its a lot softer than mono and doesn't have memory, so it won't take a set where it goes around the line release or the line anchor. Of course you can get softer brands of mono, but they are much more susceptible to cutting and nicks than the harder stiffer brands.

I would think that this softness might cause less drag on the shot, although I suppose there is a chance that the rougher surface might offset that.

I guess the biggest advantage might be that its tougher than mono and not so easy to damage.

And you don't need a crimper or crimps if you know how to tie a knot to attach it to the shaft. The loop at the other end for attaching to the reel line or float line is easy- just a bowline or even an overhand knot- but I'm still studying that knot he used at the shaft end. It looks a little cleaner than a bowline, although I don't know how much at matters.

But as I said, its not as if I have shot a lot of fish with it or used it for a long time, so I hesitate to say its the way to go. The way I came by it was by going to Masahiro Mori's shop up in LA to get a couple of shafts. I took the gun along, he suggested rigging it with that stuff, so I let him. He said that he was going to rig all his guns with it for a trip to San Clemente Island on the next weekend, but I have not spoken to him since or heard how he liked it.

If you wanted to ask him about it and/or order some, his email is

morifish@aol.com

and his number is

(310) 628-8082
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:28 AM   #48
SeaBass
shamwow

Thanks for the rundown Bill, let me know how it goes when you test it out, winter break is coming fast and I need to start prepping all my gear!
SeaBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:34 AM   #49
Bill McIntyre

I'm afraid we are going into our off season, so I won't be getting a lot of chances to test it until spring.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 03:27 PM   #50
seacrecher
Registered Fish Killer

Bill,

you're right! This is the ultimate So-Cal shoredive gun!
The most bitchin' gun ever! I even like it better than my FF 50" I did not think that it was possible. This gun just shoots way easier! I don't have to aim, I just point and shoot! Hey there's another stoned fish!

The reel is definitely a work of art and technology! Couldn't be happier with mine. BTW I am using mono for shooting line. I have tried Dynema as shooting line and it works well. Not limp enough to knot up on firing like some kevlar lines I have used. And like you mentioned, no memory to affect accuracy. I have gone back to mono though. Just easier to deal with. I like crimps rather than knots. Streamlines everything. I have had crimps slip on dynema.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DW50.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	39933  

DON'T FEED THE TROLL!

"Welcome to the Hotel California...you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave"

Last edited by seacrecher; 10-14-2006 at 03:41 PM.
seacrecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 04:06 PM   #51
DocB
Passing Gas since 2006

Wish I had the extra dough laying around for one of those reels...and one of those wongs too!