Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Northern Atlantic: New England States

Northern Atlantic: New England States An area for the cold water divers of the New England States.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 62 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-02-2016, 12:19 PM   #2281
hyeparis

Re: Daily Vis Report Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCav View Post
I just meant time to concentrate on bass now that tog is off the menu for a couple months. Same for me on the fluke and scup front. Anyone had consistent success with flounder ?
I see either fluke or flounder regularly, but I always forget which is which and refrain from shooting either.
hyeparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:50 PM   #2282
Agador
Argonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyeparis View Post
I see either fluke or flounder regularly, but I always forget which is which and refrain from shooting either.
Wintet Flounder is pretty rare over here (in my 4years experience I got just one), they more rounded and darker. Summer flounder (fluke) is more common. I would say, you can shot everything over 18inch, no matter the type My biggest fluke 8lb (26in) was shot in Jamestown at night dive.
Agador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:12 PM   #2283
MeTo

send me your number if you want to dive. I hit Block and Watch Hill often. I run a 20 foot WA key West.
MeTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:57 PM   #2284
See-three

https://www.facebook.com/SurfCityBai...type=3&theater
See-three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:47 PM   #2285
hyeparis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agador View Post
Wintet Flounder is pretty rare over here (in my 4years experience I got just one), they more rounded and darker. Summer flounder (fluke) is more common. I would say, you can shot everything over 18inch, no matter the type My biggest fluke 8lb (26in) was shot in Jamestown at night dive.
Yes, I use the it-has-to-be 18-inch-by-default rule too. I dived with a friend in Newpot and in Narragansett on Saturday. My friend took a 29-inch striped bass, whereas I came out empty-handed. I did see a 34-36 incher at 35 feet, but, since the water was murky I only saw it for 3 seconds or so and it fled before I could aim and didn't come back.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:35 PM   #2286
hyeparis

Dived in Newport today. NOAA's forecast was wind of 10 knots and waves of mere 2 feet (and on surface they probably were), but even when passing depth of 15 feet I had to put in extra effort to descend as I was being pulled back and forth horizontally. I wish there were a way to learn about such commotion. Even inside bay on high tide I could not clearly see the tip of my gun from surface.At depth of 30 feet, horizontal visibility was about 10 feet or less. Some striped tails, but could not aim in time.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:40 PM   #2287
roosterman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyeparis View Post
Dived in Newport today. NOAA's forecast was wind of 10 knots and waves of mere 2 feet (and on surface they probably were), but even when passing depth of 15 feet I had to put in extra effort to descend as I was being pulled back and forth horizontally. I wish there were a way to learn about such commotion. Even inside bay on high tide I could not clearly see the tip of my gun from surface.At depth of 30 feet, horizontal visibility was about 10 feet or less. Some striped tails, but could not aim in time.
Looked rough this morning driving over the bridge. Good for you for giving it a go. Shoot me a PM if you dive around Newport often, like to tag along on some mid week dives.

cheers

mike
roosterman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:03 PM   #2288
Agador
Argonaut

Hey folks! Just from the water. Jamestown, on incoming tide, strong south wind, viz suxx - 2ft on west side, moved to east side and found more clear water (6 ft or so). Murk on the surface and darkness after 40ft. After 4 hours finally saw couple guys on 30 ft. One shot, one fish 33 inches.

Almost forgot, on a 40+ ft, in a total darkness I saw a huge electric ray! It slowly swam right to me and that was scary! By huge I mean about 4ft wide! Almost shit my suit %)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160620_193806~2.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	226924  
Old 06-22-2016, 08:32 PM   #2289
hyeparis

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterman9 View Post
Looked rough this morning driving over the bridge. Good for you for giving it a go. Shoot me a PM if you dive around Newport often, like to tag along on some mid week dives.

cheers

mike
Thank you for the offer, Roosterman. I only travel to RI on weekends, but I will keep your kind offer in kind and PM you when an opportunity to go to RI in the middle of the week arises.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:08 PM   #2290
hyeparis

Came across a 22-24 inch weakfish today in Newport, but didn't shoot it because I had no idea what kind of fish it was until I went back home and did some research online. Visibility was about 12 feet on high tide.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:50 PM   #2291
Savas_the_Greek

North Shore, MA...felt like I was diving in Florida with the visibility today...I did not want to get out of the water.
Savas_the_Greek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:57 AM   #2292
Newbspearfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savas_the_Greek View Post
North Shore, MA...felt like I was diving in Florida with the visibility today...I did not want to get out of the water.

Vis was awesome this weekend north shore. Hit up 7-8 spots with a few other Spearos. 15ft viz to start the day at slack low scalloping and lobstering. 60+ scallops and 6 or 7 bugs. Then hit multiple other spots and limited on tog from 5 to about 13lbs. Viz dropped throughout the day as we hit high tide. Weather could not have been better either. Really enjoyed my last dive as a free man
Newbspearfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:22 AM   #2293
roosterman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbspearfisher View Post
Vis was awesome this weekend north shore. Hit up 7-8 spots with a few other Spearos. 15ft viz to start the day at slack low scalloping and lobstering. 60+ scallops and 6 or 7 bugs. Then hit multiple other spots and limited on tog from 5 to about 13lbs. Viz dropped throughout the day as we hit high tide. Weather could not have been better either. Really enjoyed my last dive as a free man
congrats Mark...I guess it is a good one to go out on.
roosterman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:07 PM   #2294
Agador
Argonaut

Scouted some MA shores for tautog, went Westport, Horseneck Beach first time. Viz wasn't very good, something like 6ft. Better on deeper spots, but empty. Got couple togs and scup. Water was incredible warm, was overheated in 5mm suit. Nice dive overall.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:32 PM   #2295
cougarprey

Forget the vis!, got my first striper with a speargun, 34 inches, in about 28 feet of water at ft. Wetherill. I am attempting to upload video to youtube but gopro studio has a learning curve. I will update when i get it up... the video i mean.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
cougarprey is offline   Reply With Quote