Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Freshwater Shooting

Freshwater Shooting Live inland, away from the ocean? Tell us about freshwater hunting here.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
h2orion.com

Meadiocre

Just trying out the Spearboard interface here with this thread.
I don't usually take carp unless the fish has the potential to succeed my personal best. To me carp are an indicator of how I am diving on that given day. Cruising through a group of them with out causing a stir is the means to the goal:Stripers. However, I am always looking for that 25+ carp. I didn't bother weighing this one. After seeing the interest in carp from other Spearboard members it is tempting to redefine the carp agenda, but this is not the time of year to be messing with carp for the simple reason it might be at the cost of a losing opportunity at a slab of Nevada silver.
http://www.h2orion.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	January:2010.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	122974  
h2orion.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
Capytan
So far from salt...

Re: Meadiocre

Nice fish!
Capytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
Diablo Loco

Where did you shoot that one? I used to go to Lake Mead all the time. My fondest carp memory was when I was at the boat dock. The water was thick with carp 15lbs to 30lbs on the surface. People used to feed them popcorn, so they were fairly tame. Well, one day, in my infinite wisdom, I decided I was going to catch one...........by hand (Mind you that I was 11 years old at the time). So, I get down on my knees and hold out a piece of popcorn in my thumb. The idea was to have one of the carp grab the popcorn from my thumb and I would then jamb my thumb into its open mouth, grabbing hold of the fish and holding it up to to show my cleverness to all that may be watching. My dad said it was a great idea, as he sat back and watched. My plan worked perfectly...........up until the point where I jambed my thumb into a 30lbers. Instead of grabbing him and pulling him up to show the curious onlookers, the look on my face changed from a happy smile to a look of pure terror. The son-of-a-bitch grabbed me, thrashing, and pulled me into the water dragging down a few feet before letting go. When I surfaced, without the fish, there were several people standing around the dock, laughing their asses off. I guess I put on a good show. I wasn't as smart as I thought I was. Needless to say, I never tried that again.

Monterey Bay Triton's
Dive Safety Officer

"They don't call me 'Diablo Loco' for nothing."
Diablo Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
JDC 92
dirty water diver

damn carp noodlers
Old 03-01-2010, 04:11 PM   #5
Diablo Loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDC 92 View Post
damn carp noodlers
What do you know? I have noodled and I didn't even know it. I guess, now I can say I've done it.......once.

Monterey Bay Triton's
Dive Safety Officer

Old 03-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #6
JDC 92
dirty water diver

i think that counts...the noodlers should rub their hands in fish guts before goin out...just for a little added insintive for the cats to bite haha
Old 03-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
overkillphil

That's a hell of a story. The ones around the docks at Katherines Landing here at Lake Mohave are floating pigs. I can say I've never really thought about Carp Noodling before!
overkillphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #8
ryddragyn
Ultimate Insurrection

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2orion.com View Post
Just trying out the Spearboard interface here with this thread.
I don't usually take carp unless the fish has the potential to succeed my personal best. To me carp are an indicator of how I am diving on that given day.
Any omnipresent fish might be a good indicator for your stealth that day. With that said, I have dove in Mead and the river a lot, and I have observed that carp have their own moods and fluctuations depending on the lighting, the time of day, the number of fish in their group, the nearby structures, how much they've eaten, etc etc. And also on the individual carp. So it may not be all about you.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #9
'o Cino
Help! He's got me!

Nice, now that's a porker!

Great story Bryan.

Tank or Free, it's good with me
'o Cino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:37 AM   #10
h2orion.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo Loco View Post
Where did you shoot that one? I used to go to Lake Mead all the time. My fondest carp memory was when I was at the boat dock. The water was thick with carp 15lbs to 30lbs on the surface. People used to feed them popcorn, so they were fairly tame. Well, one day, in my infinite wisdom, I decided I was going to catch one...........by hand (Mind you that I was 11 years old at the time). So, I get down on my knees and hold out a piece of popcorn in my thumb. The idea was to have one of the carp grab the popcorn from my thumb and I would then jamb my thumb into its open mouth, grabbing hold of the fish and holding it up to to show my cleverness to all that may be watching. My dad said it was a great idea, as he sat back and watched. My plan worked perfectly...........up until the point where I jambed my thumb into a 30lbers. Instead of grabbing him and pulling him up to show the curious onlookers, the look on my face changed from a happy smile to a look of pure terror. The son-of-a-bitch grabbed me, thrashing, and pulled me into the water dragging down a few feet before letting go. When I surfaced, without the fish, there were several people standing around the dock, laughing their asses off. I guess I put on a good show. I wasn't as smart as I thought I was. Needless to say, I never tried that again.
I look for far reaching land points that interrupt migratory paths, and that also compliment deep coves. I observed that particular fish and about 30 others in that weight class for 45 minutes while waiting for the big one to show up, but it never did. I took that one out of necessity to try out fresh new bands. My (loose) records based on a 1000 pounds indicate mead carp are about a pound bigger on the average than on the river.
That is a funny story. When I worked on a charter boat in key West, we fed the tarpon skins from grouper and what not. They clearly understood the game and were quite aggressive. If your coming this way gunning for revenge on that carp, i would be glad to assist.
h2orion.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:52 AM   #11
sticknrelease
Inflatable Floats

Diablo, I just spit some coffee on the keyboard envisioning that noodling experience! Growing up in Alaska, we kept our hands out of fish mouths, but I did get knocked on my @ss trying to tail grab a spawning king salmon once. Tough to look cool after something like that. "um, I meant to do that"

Questions about the Fox Float? Send them to Foxfloats@gmail.com

www.foxfloats.com
sticknrelease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #12
Diablo Loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2orion.com View Post
If your coming this way gunning for revenge on that carp, i would be glad to assist.
Thanks for the offer. I forgot about that incident until I saw that pic and then saw that you were from Las Vegas. Brought it out of the the lost archives of my brain.

Monterey Bay Triton's
Dive Safety Officer

Old 03-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #13
Diablo Loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticknrelease View Post
Diablo, I just spit some coffee on the keyboard envisioning that noodling experience! Growing up in Alaska, we kept our hands out of fish mouths, but I did get knocked on my @ss trying to tail grab a spawning king salmon once. Tough to look cool after something like that. "um, I meant to do that"
I hate it when I ruin a keyboard like that. : I think as kids, we try to forget those kind of things ever happened. For me, it was kind of hard to have that "I meant to do that" look on my face after being dragged in by a damn carp and surfacing, looking like a drowned rat. The worst part of telling that story was realizing that I am now that "noodler" catagory. Not just a noodler, a "Carp Noodler." ahhhhhh.......somebody get me out of this nightmare.

Monterey Bay Triton's
Dive Safety Officer