Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Diving and Fishing Boats

All About Diving and Fishing Boats We sure love boats for what we do! This forum is for boating related discussion from engines to ladders to trailers to propellers and the list goes on and on.....

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #16
petrel

Re: How often do you need to flush your engine?

My Yamaha dealer recommended that I flush the engines after every day of running, even if planning to use the boat the next day, even if I'm leaving the boat in the water! He handed me crap for the internal anodes in my F250s being cruddy at the 300 hr service.

I now dutifully follow his direction. I am not happy about it, but I don't want to give him an excuse to fix something.

Interestingly enough, I could not help but to notice that now some of the "high end" outboard boat builders are installing motor flush manifolds that are hard plumbed directly into the boat's fresh water system. I guess if they are going to the trouble of installing these systems, there may be something to this daily flushing business after all!
petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:51 AM   #17
skiff

With the price of outboards these days, it'd be insane not to flush every time; why take a chance? But here's the Million Dollar Question: I've had a marine mechanic tell me that Salt Away is really basically just vinegar, the blue is to disguise it and/or mask the smell...? Vinegar is the opposite PH from salt, and it's that simple premise that makes it work. I've never heard it 'verified', but it's an interesting question? Have any of you ever heard anything similar....?
skiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #18
jondavies

I bet if you mixed some white vinegar with some cheap dish detergent, you'd be pretty close to Salt Away.

I flush after every trip -- as you say, it's not worth risking an engine for 10 minutes of preventative maintenance or even $1 worth of overpriced soap/vinegar.
jondavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:09 PM   #19
JPscuba3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel View Post
Every time. I usually wash down the boat/trailer first, then crack a beer, while I flush my outboard. When I finish the beer, I figure it has been long enough.
Perfect amount of time!

A new outboard runs $15-$20k-ish? what would it hurt to do it everytime??? Sounds like everyone is in agreement to me. lol. Flush it one way or another.

www.scuba7.com
www.facebook.com/scuba7divecenter
www.optimistclubperryfl.org
JPscuba3 is offline   Reply With Quote