Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-29-2014, 03:05 AM   #16
isotopez

Re: Carbon Fin Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alashaman View Post
2nd time ever using it, basically new condition.
If you boat dive a lot you should also take note, ease into the water from the swim step and don't "drop in" from a seating position above the water on the side of a boat. A lot of carbons are broken by guys entering into the water incorrectly. Entering that water from high up will bend the blade at an extreme angle and lead to failure. That type of breakage is also not typically covered by manufacturers. Not saying that was the case in yours but just a little tip on using them off of a boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedivingfool
same thing swimming in some rough stuff and the blade just snapped...
Getting slammed by huge waves and having your mask ripped off and being lucky your fin snapped instead of your leg is not just swimming and having "the blade just snap".

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedivingfool
People were blaming it was me and I was inexperienced but I know that wasn't the case
No you aren't an inexperienced diver but you were unreasonable with your expectations of carbon fiber as a material. It is not indestructible and thinking otherwise is unrealistic.

Regardless, JD hooked you up no doubt, that wasn't a normal warrantied issue. Says something big about him and his customer service.

If you like the Pathos pockets you should try moanas in them. Huge difference than the mares and the hybrid softs with pathos are freakin amazing.

Thanks for the gear reviews Prayot. Dive safe and don't get smashed by any more waves!
isotopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:38 AM   #17
Onefasteuro

Never tried the bleutec but the Moana have been great for me, they are my new go-to for the ocean. I still love my mustangs, but I am biases to the yellow footpockets ><
FII Freediving Course/Trips Schedule
Facebook @DriftFreediving
Instagram @drift_freediving
Onefasteuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:39 AM   #18
freedivingfool
JOIN OUR DIVE CLUB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by isotopez View Post
If you boat dive a lot you should also take note, ease into the water from the swim step and don't "drop in" from a seating position above the water on the side of a boat. A lot of carbons are broken by guys entering into the water incorrectly. Entering that water from high up will bend the blade at an extreme angle and lead to failure. That type of breakage is also not typically covered by manufacturers. Not saying that was the case in yours but just a little tip on using them off of a boat.

Getting slammed by huge waves and having your mask ripped off and being lucky your fin snapped instead of your leg is not just swimming and having "the blade just snap".

No you aren't an inexperienced diver but you were unreasonable with your expectations of carbon fiber as a material. It is not indestructible and thinking otherwise is unrealistic.

Regardless, JD hooked you up no doubt, that wasn't a normal warrantied issue. Says something big about him and his customer service.

If you like the Pathos pockets you should try moanas in them. Huge difference than the mares and the hybrid softs with pathos are freakin amazing.

Thanks for the gear reviews Prayot. Dive safe and don't get smashed by any more waves!
yes it was a monster wave and I think I Praise JD more than enough on the original post and yes I would like to get a Moana soft in Pathos pockets in the future But as of right now the Bleutec's are pretty legit!
Old 05-29-2014, 12:34 PM   #19
Cyprus_Spearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Petros

Thank you freedivingfool for the great review. I know that anything i say would be biased since i import Bleutecs but i do have to say it.
I have been using carbon blades since 2001 probably more years than 99% if not more of the members of this board. I used most brands out there along the way mainly for comparison purposes (C4 , GFT, OMER, Picasso, Leaderfins, Subcraft, XXONE, Spierre, Moana, Black Tec, and more recently Pathos) because like freedivingfool i wanted to dive with the best. Well Bleutec has been the best thus far but the search and comparison will continue.
I hear people including manufacturers claiming very often that fiberglass and carbon difference is not that big. Bullshit. Bad carbon yes and that's what unfortunately has been going around, a lot of bad carbon fins. Fiberglass is an inferior material in regards to fin construction and a good carbon will outperform it both in performance and longevity.
People do not realize the importance of one simple component of the blade. It is not just the carbon fiber that is important but also the resin. This is exactly where most manufacturers fail. The resin mixture will give you the longevity and also add to the carbon flex and thrust.
I have been selling the Bleutec blades for a bit over a year now and i only know of one person that sold them to switch to another brand and then emailed me to tell me i was right and Bleutec was better (I do have the message to prove it if needed). I haven't had a single blade break and i sold way over 300 blades that is not to say i might not have one every once in a while. I can live with under 1% damage. Nothing is indestructible.
Besides C4, Bleutec has the longest and most extensive experience in making Carbon blades. They use their own molds and their own resin mixture and they are the only company worldwide offering a lifetime warranty on delamination. I saw several other top brand blades delaminate within 3-4 years. I still have my first set of Bleutec blades from 2001 that a friend is actually using. Those blades outlasted 4 sets of footpockets that included, Picasso, OMER and more recently Pathos.
The Bleutec name has not been recognized for it's superiority mainly because many of the people using them (freedive athletes and spearfishermen) are sponsored and cannot disclose that they are using another brand but i ensure you that these blades are used by freediving champions as well as some of the best Spearos in the USA and the world. Those people switched over to Bleutec from some of the best known brands.

http://www.spearamerica.com
https://www.instagram.com/spearamerica

2950 Airway Ave
SuiteA7
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(949) 536-5336
spearamerica@gmail.com

Fulfilling my passion!!
Cyprus_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:28 AM   #20
freedivingfool
JOIN OUR DIVE CLUB!

Petros you should sponsor me now as your Far East representative for Pathos and Bluetec!!!

Anyways I went out for a quick dive using my Leader Carbon fins in medium stiffness, compared to the Bleutec's, surfaced swimming sucked with these, it's like swimming in Jetfins. I didn't have my D4 with me but I think I was hitting around 50-60 feet, coming from that depth with the Leaderfins I could definitely tell that I had to work more to get to the bottom and utilized more energy and kicks due to the blades being very stiff feeling and not working and flexing as the Bleutec's did, however the Picasso pockets was comfortable. So with the Leaderfins compared to the Bleutec's, the Bleutec's completely and utterly blow the Leaderfins out of the water!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	925
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	206279   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	206280  
Old 06-02-2014, 06:52 PM   #21
808Spearo

I'd like to see a comparison between the Moana's and Bluetec fins with the same pockets and stiffness that way you can compare apples with apples.

I will be relocating from Oahu, HI to Houston, TX this month and will be looking for carbon fins for rig diving so I will be choosing between the two but it looks like you can't go wrong with either.
808Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #22
Cyprus_Spearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Petros

You cannot actually compare apples to apples. Almost impossible to get same stiffness and Moana is a longer blade than Bleutec. Moana has 2 different models in reality one model 2 different stiffnesses and Bleutec has 5 different models with 2 or 3 different stiffnesses each. Each model serves a different purpose and it is manufactured by different materials with different techniques and resins.

2950 Airway Ave
SuiteA7
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(949) 536-5336
spearamerica@gmail.com

Fulfilling my passion!!
Old 06-02-2014, 08:56 PM   #23
newbiee1987

Pathos has carbon blades?? Are you talking about the ones from xxone???
newbiee1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:49 PM   #24
Cyprus_Spearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Petros

Pathos is testing some new blades that they are manufacturing.

2950 Airway Ave
SuiteA7
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(949) 536-5336
spearamerica@gmail.com

Fulfilling my passion!!
Old 06-02-2014, 09:57 PM   #25
newbiee1987

Sweet!!!!!
newbiee1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:15 AM   #26
freedivingfool
JOIN OUR DIVE CLUB!

Great petros now I'll have to try the pathos!! I have my boss going to Brisbane in a week, he is bringing me back the diver R carbons softs fins back, we will see how those are!
Old 06-03-2014, 08:37 AM   #27
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Noooooooooo
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:52 AM   #28
doggiestyle

Out of interest Petros with all your experience in testing fins have you tried the Trygons at all?I have a pair of Stereo blades normal length and medium stiffness in Pathos pockets and have used and abused them for the past 18 months plus and they have stood up to the test with no issues.
When they finally die I'd be keen to try the bleutecs if they're at least comparable to the Trygons and if their fins are anything like their guns I'm sure they would be...
doggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:08 AM   #29
Cyprus_Spearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Petros

They are very similar in performance if you compare with the Flame model of Bleutec. I did try them as well as Alchemy and Majestic. I did not mention these Greek brands since most people do not know them. Majestic and Trygons had some breaking issues especially Majestic. In Greek forums a few people spoke of the fragility of trygons as well. They are known for being extremely light and on the soft side in comparison to other brands. A trygons medium is very close in stiffness to a Bleutec soft.

2950 Airway Ave
SuiteA7
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(949) 536-5336
spearamerica@gmail.com

Fulfilling my passion!!
Old 06-04-2014, 04:35 AM   #30
doggiestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprus_Spearo View Post
They are very similar in performance if you compare with the Flame model of Bleutec. I did try them as well as Alchemy and Majestic. I did not mention these Greek brands since most people do not know them. Majestic and Trygons had some breaking issues especially Majestic. In Greek forums a few people spoke of the fragility of trygons as well. They are known for being extremely light and on the soft side in comparison to other brands. A trygons medium is very close in stiffness to a Bleutec soft.
Thanks Petros,yes I agree the Trygons are a very light fin especially when used with Pathos footpocket.
The first time I used them I thought they were too soft more so when coming up from deeper dives but now that I'm used to them and changed my kicking style slightly I would not want them any stiffer especially when doing a lot of surface swimming.
It's taking me a long time to learn that softer blades are the go,going from C4 flap 40s to flap 30s etc
Sounds like the Flames will be worth checking out in the future.....
doggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote