Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Diving and Fishing Boats

All About Diving and Fishing Boats We sure love boats for what we do! This forum is for boating related discussion from engines to ladders to trailers to propellers and the list goes on and on.....

Old 02-16-2012, 11:31 PM   #31
UaVaj

Re: The cost of boating... Worth the rewards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouperdude View Post
The two happiest moments in a boat owners life. The day you buy the boat, and the day you sell it!
if the above is you. you should never bought a boat to begin with. try birdwatching or something else instead. much cheaper.

for those of us who can appreciate the tranquility of having the whole ocean to ourself. buy a 30'+ boat and run to the grounds/elbow/pipeline/tortuga/marqueses/bahamas and hook up to a monster or go down-under and put one on steel instead.
UaVaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:27 PM   #32
SaltAddict

When I bought my first boat my father said "everyone should own a boat atleast once in their life." Now you could interpret that several different ways. It goes without saying, I know my father, and I knew what he meant. You will find out real quick how much you "love" something. He is one of those guys who lives and breathes the "if someone can build it, I can fix it." A little bit of that rubbed off on me. I'm a decent trouble shooter and owning a boat will make you a better one (if you desire to be).

I'm on boat number 2 now (I went bigger). I wouldn't want to imagine a life without one. I went 8 months between boats, and while I know much worse things can happen, I was not a happy camper.

All that being said. It's not for everybody.
SaltAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:53 AM   #33
toggy
fishy goodness

didn't follow all the posts -- but read your original question.

Here's my 2 cents

In maine, you can anchor a skiff anywhere -- no big deal -- so yes -- definitely get a boat!!!

Get a $1500 12' wooden skiff (built by a local or do it yourself -- its easy!) Get an older engine and fix it up yourself ~ 1k. Anchor it illegally in some bay -- you may get a few tickets ($300/year). When the weather is good -- you are on the water!

I love new england!!!

You can't do this on the west coast -- no places to illlegaly anchor -- but you must have one! Take advantage -- its awesome to have the option -- and just replace your skiff every 4 years when it starts leaking -- totally worth it.

-Matt
"There's nothing wrong with enjoying looking at the surface of the ocean itself, except that when you finally see what goes on underwater, you realize that you've been missing the whole point of the ocean. Staying on the surface all the time is like going to the circus and staring at the outside of the tent." - Dave Barry
toggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:28 AM   #34
Eraygunz

Bdog hit it right on the head. Some guys like harleys,some like four wheelers .all cost money. But if they bring you joy,worth every penny spent. Boats are not for everyone,see tons of people at the boat ramp that I wish never had a boat. But once I get out there and it's just me and the blue.....life is GOOD!
Eraygunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:56 AM   #35
Bill McIntyre

Yesterday I just got my boat back from the shop. It was making a knocking sound when the wheel was hard over in either direction, forward or reverse. Turned out to be a bad u-joint in the outdrive. Fixing that and a few other little things cost me $1540. No matter how much you love having a boat, make sure you can afford it before taking the leap.

I haven't been without a boat since 1968, but it hasn't been cheap.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #36
faster7581

I live in florida on the gulfcoast, I use my boat all year, at least once a week. I'd sell my house before I sold my boat... Priorities!!!
faster7581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #37
kvzeyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
Yesterday I just got my boat back from the shop. It was making a knocking sound when the wheel was hard over in either direction, forward or reverse. Turned out to be a bad u-joint in the outdrive. Fixing that and a few other little things cost me $1540. No matter how much you love having a boat, make sure you can afford it before taking the leap.

I haven't been without a boat since 1968, but it hasn't been cheap.
$1540 -- OUCH!

Having been a boat owner for years do you think inboard-outboard boats are more expensive to own than either a straight inboard or just an outboard? The reason I ask is that someone who's boating opinion I respect told me once they would never own an inboard-outboard again................

kvzeyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #38
faster7581

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvzeyde View Post
$1540 -- OUCH!

Having been a boat owner for years do you think inboard-outboard boats are more expensive to own than either a straight inboard or just an outboard? The reason I ask is that someone who's boating opinion I respect told me once they would never own an inboard-outboard again................

I think alot depends on how and where you want to use your boat, short trips? long trips? budget?
I got dusky 23ft center console, with a 250 outboard. I use it on sundays with the wife and 2 kids, mostly hanging out at a sand bar, short trip. And once a week, I go diving, anywhere from 12-25 miles offshore.. I think any motor that goes in saltwater is going to have parts fail eventually.. The outboard is pretty easy to work on, and seems to need less repair than an inboard in my experiences.
faster7581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #39
Bdog

Ive owned both Inboards and outboards and in my personal experience I had less maintenance and headache with outboards. I have the same problem as Bill right now with one of my outdrives, it has a knock so I need to replace my Ujoints. Ill be getting another boat here in the near future, and will be trying to go with twin outboards. Hopefully joining the parker family here in the near future. Im done with those cold wet rides in rougher seas.
Bdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #40
ShootnReel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Ive owned both Inboards and outboards and in my personal experience I had less maintenance and headache with outboards.
Same here and I agree inboards require more tools to work on and more money to fix. They have their benefits though, and having inboard diesels(s) would be my choice if I were slipping a larger boat for diving and fishing.
ShootnReel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #41
French

if your gonna get into boating, buy your own boat (partners suck!) i would know from personal experience. Also, boating is expensive, make sure you make enough money to do regular maintenance on your boat, otherwise of something big breaks, the boat turns into a trailer queen for weeks or months. (boats break if they are not used) i cant use both my boats every week, but i try, and if i cant i go start them. Fuel is a huge expense on a boat, even on my 20 footer to go out for a full day we burn atleast 25-30 gallons (on the water thats $150 in fuel plus oil) and your talking a boat with twins?! to put you into perspective, my 35ft marlin burns between 35-45 gph depending on the seas, and cruise speed (twin 2005 250 efi mercurys) so make sure you are buying a boat you can afford to use often. because you want to be able to enjoy a the boat for what it is worth. Personally, i love skiff's for diving and solo fishing, you burn no fuel, you can tow them with anything, and they are relatively inexpensive.

keep your options open and do not jump into anything because it seems cheap.
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #42
SBH20Man
Brent

I'm wondering if the OP is even still following this thread...

Today could be the best day!
SBH20Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #43
Eraygunz

I have a skiff,and a 22foot cuddy. Both are great,for different things. The big boat dose cost a lot to use,and is hard to take out solo. But out in the blue,she's worth every penny.
Eddie
Eraygunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #44
1stbite

Boats are great and its like anything you get into. If you don't use them, it will become a problem and big money. If you love the ocean as much as most of us do, it will always be part of your life. Once you own one you will never go back and if you do go back you should have not own one in the first place.

Good luck
1stbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #45
bakir_sonic
Bakir

say if you have a skiff. could you legally launch it from a beach like a kayak? feel free to laugh at my stupid question