Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 10-15-2017, 05:15 PM   #1
FalconSpearo

Question Question On Lookdowns

So I recently learned/heard from multiple sources that Lookdowns are edible and taste very good. They do not give much meat considering their anatomy but nonetheless the meat tastes good?

I wanted to ask, what you guys thought about this. Anyone eat them? I see them quite frequently by the mangroves. Also whats the regulation for them? Size minimum, bag limits, etc.

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2017, 07:18 PM   #2
kwyoungspear

Re: Question On Lookdowns

They taste pretty good. I'm pretty sure they're unregulated which means you could get 2 or 100 pounds, which ever is more.

I could be completely wrong about this so don't go out and get 100 pounds of them, which would take forever I'm sure lol
Old 10-15-2017, 09:32 PM   #3
rowow

They are the most bitter and disgusting fish I have ever eaten, and almost no meat on them. And I am ok with eating jack crevalle and spade fish, which sets my standards pretty low.
But yes these are unregulated species #398
http://myfwc.com/license/saltwater/c...icted-species/

Limit for unregulated species is 2 fish or 100lbs, whichever is greater
http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/r...lated-species/
rowow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:54 AM   #4
baitball

Lookdowns are not bitter at all. Spadefish and Jack crevalle don't even look edible when filleted. Jack crevalle tastes like bloodline and spade isn't bad as long as you close your eyes and forget that the meat is grey. Lookdowns have nice white flakey meat. You get thin filets obviously but if you get decent sized ones they add up. Worth trying at least once. I have never shot one but we will keep a few if they start stealing our shrimp while fishing for snook or snapper. The little ones look really cool in a big saltwater aquarium where they can school up.
baitball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:03 AM   #5
rowow

Its defiantly worth trying once. Regardless of mine or anyone's opinion simply try out a fish, only you will know what you like. Maybe I cooked it wrong or got a shit fish, but I guess ill try another look down.

As for jack crevalle, I and alot of people like it. Further shows the difference in personality. Tuna is also blood red yet is one of the most expensive fish in the market. Jack crevalle is not the best, but its not the worst as many make it out to be. I would much rather eat a crevalle then a sheephead. But agian, its all based on personality.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:05 AM   #6
baitball

Right on
baitball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:57 AM   #7
FalconSpearo

Appreciate all the responses. Yeah I guess I'll try a couple and see. I eat crevalle but not at all a pleasant fish to eat. If we hook one sure throw it in the cooler, it's not as exciting as other sought after species. I guess the same with barracuda, I loveee barracuda, I think it's a hidden gem and many people think it's disgusting lol. I'll take a couple lookdowns next time. I have a spot where I am surrounded but hundreds of them. I'm pretty sure I can get three in one shot. >
Old 10-16-2017, 11:02 AM   #8
Powers
Dad

Lockdown are absolutely delicious. Perfect, flaky white meat. I love em.
Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:24 AM   #9
R.Boonfield

Not gonna lie, I cut the dark red meat out of some smaller crevalle once out curiousity. Threw it on the stove top with some blackening spices and olive oil and thought it tasted fine. Anyone have similar experience?
R.Boonfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:33 AM   #10
rowow

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Boonfield View Post
Not gonna lie, I cut the dark red meat out of some smaller crevalle once out curiousity. Threw it on the stove top with some blackening spices and olive oil and thought it tasted fine. Anyone have similar experience?
Everyone I met that ate Jack crevalle liked it or thought it was ok. Everyone I met that hated Jack crevalle never ate it.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:36 PM   #11
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Yep. I've cut the bloodline out, fried some, smoked some. Both were good. It spoils quick so it really has to be treated well. Look downs I've eaten were white/flaky.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:15 AM   #12
captain.ed

I've never eaten them but if anyone wants to give away sheepshead, I'll take them. They are big boned and a little more difficult to filet but they taste great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2017, 09:05 AM   #13
R.Boonfield

Doubt that anyone who has eaten sheepshead wants to give them away LOL.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:13 AM   #14
rowow

Quote:
Doubt that anyone who has eaten sheepshead wants to give them away LOL.
I hate sheephead. I usually give them to friends and family.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:42 AM   #15
R.Boonfield

First time I've heard someone say that.