Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 10-10-2006, 07:36 PM   #61
jackpine savage
Kill your food

Re: can you make a living as a charter capt?

This thread beats the baseball playoffs
Old 10-10-2006, 09:06 PM   #62
richhermes
Nappy Headed Ho

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpine savage
This thread beats the baseball playoffs
It's all North Korea's fault.
richhermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:36 PM   #63
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

I was going to chime in the other day but I didnt want to get hit with all the punches flying! First of all this got way off track. Second I know holepoker, and he is a great guy, who has a sense of humor, I guess he is easily angered, I never saw that side, and he has much boating, fishing and diving experience. He does have a large well equipped boat, and does run a fishing charter and goes diving on the weekends. He also runs a large trucking company, and cant get out during the week. I went on his boat for the SBO to the Middle Grounds and had a great time. (Private trip gas sharing.) We all did well thanks to him and his Captain that does the fishing charters. He really is an easy to get along with guy, and he has watched Spearboard without actually joining for a long time without joining until April this year I think it was. He does get a little upset about boats anchoring close by when you're 75-90 miles from shore and also when you have dive flags up, boats that come real close at fast speeds get him upset. I do too. I dont think he is out of line, but like he says, he doesnt know most people here. It is hard to know when someone is pulling your chain when they are typing. Steve.
stevemc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:56 PM   #64
fishkilla
Slayographer

Send a message via AIM to fishkilla

don't get me started about boats anchoring around me 100 miles from shore. just ask jimmy z and childress about the trip 2 weeks ago. first a sporty boat donzi flies up to the JRII and nearly runs over their dive marker. then after marking their spot they come over to me and get withing 200 yards and marks my spot. the captain didn't have his radio on so in order to comunicate with him i pulled up to the back of his boat. i tried to remain calm as he said " i don't want to listen to anything you say, that is why i don't have my radio on." this among other things he said had me and my crew shaking our heads in disgust.

i had to leave that area or else bad things were going to happen.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:05 PM   #65
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Ben, you showed excellent restraint. We deal with guys like that off Palm Beach also and almost have call the Coast Guard on them. But, 100 miles off shore is trickier.

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:08 PM   #66
bgbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemc1
I was going to chime in the other day but I didnt want to get hit with all the punches flying! First of all this got way off track. Second I know holepoker, and he is a great guy, who has a sense of humor, I guess he is easily angered, I never saw that side, and he has much boating, fishing and diving experience. He does have a large well equipped boat, and does run a fishing charter and goes diving on the weekends. He also runs a large trucking company, and cant get out during the week. I went on his boat for the SBO to the Middle Grounds and had a great time. (Private trip gas sharing.) We all did well thanks to him and his Captain that does the fishing charters. He really is an easy to get along with guy, and he has watched Spearboard without actually joining for a long time without joining until April this year I think it was. He does get a little upset about boats anchoring close by when you're 75-90 miles from shore and also when you have dive flags up, boats that come real close at fast speeds get him upset. I do too. I dont think he is out of line, but like he says, he doesnt know most people here. It is hard to know when someone is pulling your chain when they are typing. Steve.
Holepoker practically acused Bottom Dweller of anchoring too close to him, yet Bottom Dweller was running a charter on a different boat that weekend, so his Yellow 35' Center Console (with his name on both sides of it) was not even in the water at the time.
bgbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:22 PM   #67
inletsurf

Well I know Bottom Dweller personally and he is a person of the highest moral caliber and a pretty nice guy. I am pretty damn sure he wouldn't do what holepoker has accused him of.
inletsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:28 PM   #68
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

Bret, I practically had sex with some of the girls on the bikini thread. Thats about as close as holepoker accused Bottom Dweller of anchoring near him, I just think that the yellow CC thing made you think that though.
stevemc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:35 PM   #69
bgbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemc1
Bret, I practically had sex with some of the girls on the bikini thread. Thats about as close as holepoker accused Bottom Dweller of anchoring near him, I just think that the yellow CC thing made you think that though.
I hope you cleaned the screen off when you were done.

With his comment about Bottom Dweller's little center console and then the one about a yellow center console and the Private Investigator comment, I think he was trying to lead people to believe it was Scott anchoring close to him, which it wasn't, because Scott was running a charter on a different boat that weekend.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:11 AM   #70
holepoker

I'm pretty much done with this thread after these words:
1. Inletsurf - you are a good example of twisting words into something that is not true.
2. Dive4blood - You are crazy, man. Rodger, Dodger, over and out...
3. SteveMC1 - Thank you very much for your support. Now that you gave me up to these weirdos, I'll have to get you to hold 'em real tight for me while I open a can of whoopass.
4. WonderBoy - I accept your apology, and I apologize for wanting your blank
check for a reef permit.
5. BGBill - That yellow boat was 500 ft. away, not 500 yds., my bad, and I don't know who it was. Maybe they will identify themselves. When I heard the boats running over my bubbles, I knew things were ugly at the surface. Holepokerslady says she shot at each of them.
Everyone else - I think you know just how well the good ole boy network is working...
6. Holepokerslady - is not a sockpuppet!
holepoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:02 PM   #71
holepoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkilla
don't get me started about boats anchoring around me 100 miles from shore. just ask jimmy z and childress about the trip 2 weeks ago. first a sporty boat donzi flies up to the JRII and nearly runs over their dive marker. then after marking their spot they come over to me and get withing 200 yards and marks my spot. the captain didn't have his radio on so in order to comunicate with him i pulled up to the back of his boat. i tried to remain calm as he said " i don't want to listen to anything you say, that is why i don't have my radio on." this among other things he said had me and my crew shaking our heads in disgust.

i had to leave that area or else bad things were going to happen.
These boats I dealt with two weekends ago, one about ten minutes behind the other, came within 200 ft. of our boat, ran right over our bubbles. I thought the CG was coming in to board us or something. What are we gonna do about this - it is a dangerous situation for divers when boaters are willing to do this?!?! Hey Dive4Blood, back in the day, we would be taking gunshots over the bow, but why not today? It's time to get back to the wild,wild, west if you ask me.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:45 PM   #72
WonderBoy
My Wong held by a Pirate

Send a message via AIM to WonderBoy

Why is shooting at a boat any less reckless than they running over your bubbles? I don't pretend to know what the answer is for that situation, but I'm not about to start firing off rounds if someone does that to me. With most modern radar/GPS interfaces, you can "steal" the GPS coordinates of a boat if they are on your radar screen anyway. I can do it with my boat. I HAVE done it with my boat. With a 72 mile radar, you can do it and the other person will never know. I'm sure it happens a lot.
Is the issue here about them getting your spot or about them driving right up to you? If it's about them being reckless, again, how does shooting at them advocate safety?

What you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points. And may God have mercy on your soul...
WonderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:09 PM   #73
holepoker

Wonderboy, I must refer to the days in the '70's again, which I am totally paranoid about cuz Dive4blood gets all stirred up. In those days, it was well known that any boat coming within a quarter mile of a commercial bandit boat would get shot at. I worked on and owned commercial boats, and we were definitely loners. It was for a variety of reasons, but number one was that commercial boats were on Loran A spots producing a mountain of fish, not to be easily taken by someone passing by trying to mark your spot. Like you say, today is very different, so maybe gunshots are not the answer today. I am not as worried about the spot stealing as I am the danger of running over divers. What else can stop this recklessness?
Old 10-12-2006, 04:30 PM   #74
GRIM REEFER

A spinning rod with an 8 ounce lead
My buddy makes a semi auto golf ball cannon (kinda like a potato gun, Only way better) It runs off of compressed air. plug your BC inflator hose in it and blast away
GRIM REEFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:24 PM   #75
bgbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIM REEFER
A spinning rod with an 8 ounce lead
My buddy makes a semi auto golf ball cannon (kinda like a potato gun, Only way better) It runs off of compressed air. plug your BC inflator hose in it and blast away
That would be a very good way of getting return fire from a boat.

I don't think they should buzz a dive sight, but once you start escallating the situation, you might not like or be prepared for what happens.

Getting into a shootout in the open ocean or anywhere else for that matter is not a good idea.