Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 01:22 AM   #16
ACEVEDO
Thanks but NO TANKS

Re: Best slip tip point for white sea bass?

Wow 32j,that's amazing !! Your a sniper .. Sounds like you really got your gun dialed in

I don't have that much confidence in myself to take shots like that 99% of my shots are less then 10' from From the tip of my gun even in top to bottom viz ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32Juan View Post
FWIW, I shot one last year about 18' from the end of my gun. With a Mori tip Nailed that sucker good.

Also strung a yellow at about the same range last year too.

ACEVEDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #17
32Juan
RIP Bird Rock (∞-1/1/12)

I take one day at the beginning of the season and spend it target practicing. It pays off immensely. That being said, I don't recommend doing those long shots at all. I do them out of necessity, not wanting to be a sniper. The gun I was using was a Riffe MT 4, with an enclosed track, aluminum muzzle, wing kit, and 4 5/8ths bands. It was a beast in the water, and kicked like a mule, but I was accurate with it.

When I do my target practicing, I use an old fin sock, tied to a piece of line, and anchored down with some lead. I start close, and work my way farther and farther until I reach the gun's limit. I'll spend up to 2 hrs just loading, and firing. I like to put the target at least 15' down, to get a good line up in the prone position. It helps to have a spotter as well. Also, using the hi-vis momoi line helps to see where your shaft is flying.

The yellow was moving fast, and didn't want to play the game, so I was forced to take the long shot. It wasn't easy, but I lucked out and shot true. The white was just at the edge of vis, and I knew I couldn't close the gap. The shaft didn't penetrate all the way through, but luckily, my buddy was just a few feet away, heard the shot and the croaking, and gave it a second shot before I even surfaced. It was in open water.

Also, you have to make sure you are good with the gun you're using. I just bought a new gun, which brings my quiver to 3. A riffe c2, a riffe c3x, and a big daddy 57" xtreme custom. Each gun gets a couple of hours of practice before the season gets underway. They all have their shooting quirks, and knowing them is the key to success.

Now if I could find a frickin seabass this year, I could put my practice to the test
Old 04-25-2012, 02:20 AM   #18
AlohaMoos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32Juan View Post
I take one day at the beginning of the season and spend it target practicing. It pays off immensely. That being said, I don't recommend doing those long shots at all. I do them out of necessity, not wanting to be a sniper. The gun I was using was a Riffe MT 4, with an enclosed track, aluminum muzzle, wing kit, and 4 5/8ths bands. It was a beast in the water, and kicked like a mule, but I was accurate with it.

When I do my target practicing, I use an old fin sock, tied to a piece of line, and anchored down with some lead. I start close, and work my way farther and farther until I reach the gun's limit. I'll spend up to 2 hrs just loading, and firing. I like to put the target at least 15' down, to get a good line up in the prone position. It helps to have a spotter as well. Also, using the hi-vis momoi line helps to see where your shaft is flying.

The yellow was moving fast, and didn't want to play the game, so I was forced to take the long shot. It wasn't easy, but I lucked out and shot true. The white was just at the edge of vis, and I knew I couldn't close the gap. The shaft didn't penetrate all the way through, but luckily, my buddy was just a few feet away, heard the shot and the croaking, and gave it a second shot before I even surfaced. It was in open water.

Also, you have to make sure you are good with the gun you're using. I just bought a new gun, which brings my quiver to 3. A riffe c2, a riffe c3x, and a big daddy 57" xtreme custom. Each gun gets a couple of hours of practice before the season gets underway. They all have their shooting quirks, and knowing them is the key to success.

Now if I could find a frickin seabass this year, I could put my practice to the test
Dude, can't wait to get my ass back out to 2 Harbors...livin' the dream my man...
AlohaMoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #19
32Juan
RIP Bird Rock (∞-1/1/12)

Let me know when you're coming out bro!
Old 04-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #20
thereefgeek
Soon-to-be ex-patriot

I've been lucky a couple times with the Kolev (spectra) I got a few years ago, but I hear they're getting harder to come by. Re-rigged it with ss cable from Neptonic last year and it still performed perfectly (tri-cut tip, by the way).
Just picked up a Wong and I can't wait to use it on some seabass, but it looks like a damn good tip for the price (also a tri-cut point).

Just my limited experience and opinion, but the tri-cut grind on the tip is so small that it has insignificant impact on the size of the hole in the fish. Just helps for penetration through bones and flesh.
The 9/32" Wong is only ground down to 7/64" at the point, and the 5/16" Kolev is only 3/16". The rest of the tip/shaft that punches through the fish is considerably larger diameter, and thus enlarges the hole accordingly. I seriously doubt that a tri-cut point is going to make a 3-sided hole in your fish for the spectra to wedge into one particular corner of the hole, but maybe I'm wrong.
By the way, I don't much like cable and I switched it back to spectra.....
thereefgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #21
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereefgeek View Post
By the way, I don't much like cable and I switched it back to spectra.....
I used cable for years before Spectra came along, and its a pain in the ass if you don't really need it. Its almost impossible to keep it from getting kinked pretty quickly.

I guess its a must if you are shooting big tuna, etc., or shooting fish that go into caves with sharp rocks, but that isn't the case in California.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #22
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Tri-cut is the way to go for fish with big scales. I've hear of pencil points glancing off of fish at certain angles instead of penetrating. I love my mori tri-cut rigged with cable.
Another thing worth pointing out is that if you put a good shot on any fish the shot will hold whether you are rigged with cable or spectra.
I've seen spectra tips fail twice, bye bye $200.
You can even get cable tips rigged with coated cable so they don't tear flesh as easy.
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #23
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Yard-Sale Josh" View Post
Another thing worth pointing out is that if you put a good shot on any fish the shot will hold whether you are rigged with cable or spectra.
Someone posted two or three years ago about shooting a big tuna at PV. He stoned it, which would be considered a good shot, but the Spectra cut on the spine, and they watched the dead fish sink into the blue.

Not long ago Daryl Wong told me that he was tired of big ulua cutting spectra off in the coral, and had gone back to cable.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #24
Smudge
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
Not long ago Daryl Wong told me that he was tired of big ulua cutting spectra off in the coral, and had gone back to cable.
Yup. Before I left, we had switched the slip tips on the ulua shafts back to cable. We were still using spectra on the onos though...
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote