Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
rhyne

RIP Childrens Pool

Well, yesterday was a pretty low day for California Beach access. The City Council voted to close the CP from Dec. 15-May15 during pupping season. The slippery slope continues and the city pushes its way through taking the only man-made beach away from man, and woman of course. There were some colorful moments in the meeting... like when one of the seal nuts decided she has the right to jump up on the microphone and demand that people ceding time stand up blah blah blah... yeah, maybe ya'll saw her on the news being physically removed while she threw a tantrum.
On the flip side, I would like to send a huge heartfelt thanks to those who showed up. We did manage to have enough people there to allow our presentations to be heard. On the flip side, the pro-seal/anti-human side of the fence has 4 people there for every 1 of ours. Quite honestly, i'm continuously disappointed by the lack of interest from our community (fishing/spearfishing/swimmers etc...). If anyone can clue me in as to why this beach access issue isn't important enough to commit some time to, man, i'm all ears. I mean really... these seal fanatics have proven that all you need is an angry mob with no respect for the law to change things. they've done a great job. And here it's like pulling teeth to get 8-10 divers involved in protecting their own beach access that they have legal rights too. I know people have busy schedules... you're not alone. I know life has distractions... but for those of us who's lifestyles depend on beach access in this crazy state... it's an odd time to choose to stand on the sidelines man.
But anyway, the few have continuously sweat blood and tears as best we could for a long time. The city's decision has again left a ton of room for legal discourse. The battle will surely continue because of course we know they'll be pushing for a complete closure in the near future.

RIP Childrens Pool.

www.BRINKexpeditions.com - 6-pack Spearfishing, fishing & Custom Charters. San Diego, CA
Your Gateway to What Lie Beyond the Shoreline

www.coroflot.com/RyanSweeney - Apparel Design & Development
rhyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:49 AM   #2
Timinator

Re: RIP Childrens Pool

Sorry man, I signed the petition but I live in Ohio. I visit San Diego regularly and have introduced my son to diving there at CP. Had to push my way past the crazies but once we got in the water, lot's of other people followed.
Timinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:16 PM   #3
HEX
Hector F.

Sorry to hear that maybe if the fishing/spearfishing/swimmers had a well organized group with the funds to back them and get people out there maybe then will it be successful.
Either way eff those seal huggers that lady definitely needs a cockmeat sandwich slapped across her face.

Last edited by HEX; 02-25-2014 at 01:16 PM.
HEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #4
shafe

That blows. Sorry to all my OC brothers.

Is anyone taking up the legal fight on our behalf?

Is the Waterman's Alliance involved?
shafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:59 PM   #5
rhyne

We're about as organized as a group can be... yeah, WA is involved and about 3 other groups to various capacities. Quite frankly... it's real easy to say "we need this and that". The bottom line... that requires people like you and me to actually spend time on it. there's not many of us willing to do that. plain and simple, and leaves me feeling sad at times like this. Apparently the slippery slope of reducing beach access needs to continue before more people catch on and step up to the plate to make a change.

www.BRINKexpeditions.com - 6-pack Spearfishing, fishing & Custom Charters. San Diego, CA
Your Gateway to What Lie Beyond the Shoreline

www.coroflot.com/RyanSweeney - Apparel Design & Development
rhyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:13 PM   #6
FullFlavorPike

So, I have a pretty complete report of the meeting here: http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2...s-win-hearing/

The fact is that organization and money was on the side of the pro-closure group and that's just politics.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:18 PM   #7
HEX
Hector F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
The fact is that organization and money was on the side of the pro-closure group and that's just politics.
This
Old 02-25-2014, 02:49 PM   #8
riff
><>

so sad.

Honestly, a video on the facts so people can really see would do this cause a great help.
riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #9
shafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyne View Post
We're about as organized as a group can be... yeah, WA is involved and about 3 other groups to various capacities. Quite frankly... it's real easy to say "we need this and that". The bottom line... that requires people like you and me to actually spend time on it. there's not many of us willing to do that. plain and simple, and leaves me feeling sad at times like this. Apparently the slippery slope of reducing beach access needs to continue before more people catch on and step up to the plate to make a change.
That's too bad not so many people showed up on our behalf bc the petition was promising. Politicians often go with what they think is the most popular decision so they can get re-elected and stay in power. Your best bet is the courts. Obviously the judicial system was designed to keep legislators in check. Hopefully it works out in the end.
shafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:06 PM   #10
C monster
Do Rad Dough

Ryan,

You hit the nail on head, sir. It's lack of interest, and there's no need to clue you in on why, because it is just what it is; LACK. OF. INTEREST.

What most of us consumptive types seem to have the biggest struggle with, is the fact that the world is changing. This COUNTRY is changing. We, as people are becoming more insular. The birth of video games, the internet and iphones has caused a shift in the interest level of younger people, who would otherwise be fishing, diving, or hunting. Youth today seems way more focused on instagram, snapchat, and texting their friends, than the stuff we grew up doing. It's just evolution, dude. Society is more liberal now than it's ever been, and it's going to stay that way for quite some time, if not permanently.

I said this way back when the MLPA's first started; It's the beginning of the end.

Yes, we can fight, kick, scream, send in our lobster cards with obscenities written all over them, but in the long run, it doesn't make a God damn bit of difference, and those who will tell you that it does, are simply kidding themselves. I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is. These enviros will just keep taking and taking and taking, until it's all gone.

Yes Ryan, you... YOU will be sitting on your couch someday as an old man, telling your grandson about how you used to take fish and lobster from ocean. All you'll be able to do, is sit there and watch his jaw drop to the floor in disbelief...

Sad but true.

I'm sorry for your loss. I really am, but it doesn't surprise me one bit. Never has...

Enjoy what's left of it while you can, brother.

SC
C monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:52 PM   #11
Greener

I'm confused as to what specifically is "blocked" off now, is it the Children's pool beach itself and banning from entering there? Or is it the entire area surrounding Children's pool, including the two beaches to the south?

If someone could enlighten me, that'd be great.
Greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:14 PM   #12
apexdiver
Tony

Wow I am just about disgusted,pretty much at loss of words for this.
apexdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:52 PM   #13
Timinator

Your a single Knight surrounded by the apathy that's become California. People don't care enough to know to care anymore. California doesn't take kindly to giving back a freedom once it's taken either. I know this will sound even more callus, but I'd bet the deal to close the Children's Cove was settled weeks or maybe months ago. The hearing was just a formality to make things look legit.

I only say that because I use to work for the largest Environmental firm in San Diego and public hearings regarding EIR's and EIS's were nothing more than a formality. Hands were shook and contracts were signed and through legal for months prior to public hearings.
Quit electing the public officials you guys do over and over again and this kind of stuff will stop.
Timinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:53 PM   #14
kehloken

here ya go
http://www.sandiego6.com/story/san-d...eason-20140224
Old 02-25-2014, 09:00 PM   #15
laguna80
El Capitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehloken View Post
That seemed like a fair article. Although, I'm sick of hearing about Brian Pease.