Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

View Poll Results: Which shaft would you preffer?
No rust 37 45.68%
more bending resistance 44 54.32%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-20-2016, 11:25 PM   #61
doyenofcastle

Re: Do you care if your shaft rusts? Or would you rather more bending resistance?

the spear of carbon steel is less likely to whip and can take more force more than the SS,tried a spear from salvimar and rabitech ,difference was great ,overpowered my gun and rabitech still do the job but other brand is crap can't shoot at 5 f anything
doyenofcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:53 AM   #62
slingshaft
Hunter, Gatherer

Re: Do you care if your shaft rusts? Or would you rather more bending resistance?

Yeah Man, those ballsy South African Shafts. You know where to get them here in the United States.
slingshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:16 PM   #63
Ron S

So I guess the simple answer is that once you find the shaft you like, just buy them like you would arrows, a dozen at a time...
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:08 AM   #64
Marco

I like spring steel better. It's not a matter of money. At the end of the day, you spend more than the difference just in gas in one single trip.

A SS shaft will bend before a spring steel rusts. At least how I use them, that is once a week and rinsing everything with fresh water when done.

Storing Spring steel shafts out of the mech increases their life a lot. And never, NEVER use sand paper/steel wool, etc.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:38 PM   #65
juanacity
John

I really like my high carbon shafts. I have my short guns powered up pretty high and I still shoot directly into rocks. My tip gets destroyed but nothing else. Sharpen and you are good to go.

I try to treat them like a cast iron skillet. Clean and rinse with fresh water, dry well, and then rub down with canola oil.

Works for me...
juanacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:49 PM   #66
Alec

Stainless Steel with slip-tips for fish over 20lb, SS flopper for everything else imo
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:55 PM   #67
popgun pete

I used to use "silver steel" shafts screw threaded (with difficulty as HSS dies made hard work of it after initial lathe work to set the thread alignment) onto 316 stainless steel tails that bore the wishbone slots, the tails being square notched for a 5/16" diameter sear box mouth. The 3/8" tail body provided the stops for the line slide, after which it was turned down to 5/16" to fit in the sear box. Once on and rust set in it would have taken a gas torch and lubricant to unscrew the tail which I never did as the shafts seemed impervious to bends. I had to rub the shafts down with emery cloth, but after a while they developed a brown patina which I loaded with oil which produced a finish somewhat like the "blueing" on a firearm. My late Dad made the shafts as he was a toolmaker by trade and could spend the time to make each one. Screw tip threaded they used Mako heads, either screw on or breakaway (too bulky) and on occasions a long 5 or 6 tyne pranger head that usually needed fixing when the tynes got bent as otherwise the head lost its effect. The bed of nails problem was lost when the tynes caught at an angle and twisted deep into the meat. Removal was messy and ragged, but nothing got away when hit in the head.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 04:31 AM   #68
doyenofcastle

i want to ask about the behavior of the both spears (SS ,CS) under the small ID band ,in my 110 gun I use double 14.5mm cut at 340% spear is hammer head SS 6.75 with 33cm OH ,gun shoot like sniper ,other gun was 120 double band 14.5mm cut at 360% spear is orca (similar to CS south african) 27 cm OH ,spear not reach to target straight seam it fly down miss a lot of far shoot ,I think small ID band can't combined with CS spear unless you go to 400% ,only the tradition band (16 *330%) we should use ,Is that right?
doyenofcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:49 PM   #69
z1taz
Blue Water Killer

Send a message via Skype™ to z1taz

my 4 S shafts ! = Stainless Steel Spring Steel 17,4 PH

z1taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:30 AM   #70
Mikel_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by z1taz View Post
my 4 S shafts ! = Stainless Steel Spring Steel 17,4 PH
Looking good! Are those flopper pins welded??
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:46 PM   #71
z1taz
Blue Water Killer

Send a message via Skype™ to z1taz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
Looking good! Are those flopper pins welded??
yes
z1taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:24 PM   #72
mikido

whatever kills fish man, how is this even a thread?
mikido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:58 PM   #73
barnaclebill

When I moved to Marathon 25 years ago, an old guy took me out freediving and his spear was all rusty, he said he liked it that way because we were freeshafting and the rust kept the shaft from going all the way through the fish.
barnaclebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:41 PM   #74
Mendicant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikido View Post
whatever kills fish man, how is this even a thread?
If that was the metric by which threads were permitted existence, I suspect you would find this forum to be sparse indeed.