Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 127 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 10-16-2018, 05:10 PM   #3076
Capt.Gene

Re: Current Vis - Tampa Bay Region (Homosassa to Sarasota)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
My first question. "When can I dive?"

2 weeks in a boot. She said 4-6 to heal. Stupid
It will heal faster breathing nitrox.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:31 PM   #3077
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Gene View Post
It will heal faster breathing nitrox.

It's all black and blue now, the other side swelled too, but I can tell it's starting to heal. I've been icing it twice a day and keeping it elevated as much as possible and taking ibuprofen to reduce inflammation.

Basically following the research. If I recovered in thirteen days that would be remarkable.

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/23/health/23real.html
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:46 AM   #3078
SeaSage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
It's all black and blue now, the other side swelled too, but I can tell it's starting to heal. I've been icing it twice a day and keeping it elevated as much as possible and taking ibuprofen to reduce inflammation.

Basically following the research. If I recovered in thirteen days that would be remarkable.

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/23/health/23real.html
I hope you have better luck than me. I rolled my ankle really bad in January playing racquetball, and I still can't play. Stay in the boot as long as the Doctor tells you to, I wish I had listened.
SeaSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:23 PM   #3079
dkay

NW out of Anclote today in 45-55’ was ttb in some spots and fishy. No signs of red tide or the hurricane. Water temp dropped a few degrees since we were out last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:21 PM   #3080
Eibwen

Nice fish dkay! We might have seen you out there, NW of Anclote today. Vis was a superb nearly ttb in about 55' but less fishy than this spot was a few weeks ago. A big party boat came out to hang around where we were diving so I'm gonna say we weren't on virgin ground. Came in to 45' and water clarity was OK at maybe 15-20' horizontal. Ran into an enormous greater hammerhead (again) which was interesting to see.

I took my first AJ. Not sure if I'll spear another, have to try eating this one (gonna smoke it), but I wanted to get on the board with them so check that off the list. Fork length I think was 37".

There were definitely some cool areas of water after getting down 10-15'.
Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:24 PM   #3081
Dbrown

Nice work out there for a Wednesday Mr. Kay!
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:30 AM   #3082
dkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibwen View Post
Nice fish dkay! We might have seen you out there, NW of Anclote today. Vis was a superb nearly ttb in about 55' but less fishy than this spot was a few weeks ago. A big party boat came out to hang around where we were diving so I'm gonna say we weren't on virgin ground. Came in to 45' and water clarity was OK at maybe 15-20' horizontal. Ran into an enormous greater hammerhead (again) which was interesting to see.

I took my first AJ. Not sure if I'll spear another, have to try eating this one (gonna smoke it), but I wanted to get on the board with them so check that off the list. Fork length I think was 37".

We saw a couple other boats, including the Two George’s head boat to our south so we weren’t far from you. That entire area has a lot of scattered rock piles so spend some time exploring and you’ll find some great spots. We also saw some nice AJ’s and a couple of huge ARS. AJ makes some killer smoked fish spread!

And thanks dbrown!
dkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:58 AM   #3083
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibwen View Post

If you were anywhere near the areas I gave to Les, then yeah, it isn't virgin ground but there's enough great spots to last a lifetime out there.

Hammerhead, eh? I've never seen one in these waters - very cool.

AJ - yeah, unless you powerhead them or stone them they can provide quite the experience - LOL. Did you immediately bleed it when you brought it on board? That can have a huge effect on the taste when you cook it. Otherwise, smoke it and make fish spread.

PS - yeah, we saw a couple of BIG head boats on Monday - I think all the ones from south of us are coming up here off Pasco due to red tide.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:35 AM   #3084
Dbrown

Saturday 10/20/18
Headed NW out of CLearwater pass. Calm day.
First drop was in 42'. Water was dark with fair amount of particulate. Continued NW up towards being off Anclote. 48' and very fishy with lots of hogs and lots of mangos. So that was great to see. Viz was 30'. No particulate. Water 81 degrees. Fun dive. Did another drop in 48' and picked up a few more fish and a nice stone crab. Never saw a legal gag. Moved out to 61' and dove the area of Anclote with big cracks. Lot of boats there. No gags. Huge Nurse. Big turtle. School of small cuda followed me. One settled in right next to a little red on the bottom. Never seen that. Fig' he'd eat em. Beautiful calm day. Great to see lot of healthy fish. 15 Hog, 12 mango.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:04 AM   #3085
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown View Post
Saturday 10/20/18
Headed NW out of CLearwater pass. Calm day.
First drop was in 42'. Water was dark with fair amount of particulate. Continued NW up towards being off Anclote. 48' and very fishy with lots of hogs and lots of mangos. So that was great to see. Viz was 30'. No particulate. Water 81 degrees. Fun dive. Did another drop in 48' and picked up a few more fish and a nice stone crab. Never saw a legal gag. Moved out to 61' and dove the area of Anclote with big cracks. Lot of boats there. No gags. Huge Nurse. Big turtle. School of small cuda followed me. One settled in right next to a little red on the bottom. Never seen that. Fig' he'd eat em. Beautiful calm day. Great to see lot of healthy fish. 15 Hog, 12 mango.
Very nice - would love to know that area in 61' with "big cracks" - perhaps we should get in touch with each other and share some numbers
Old 10-22-2018, 08:15 AM   #3086
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
Very nice - would love to know that area in 61' with "big cracks" - perhaps we should get in touch with each other and share some numbers
I found a place like that several years ago, maybe same. Random drop out on the big ledge, I named them "The Cracks of Doom" on my plotter. Weird spot, not any more fishy really than the other ledge areas when I was there. Looks like an earthquake, 10'+ tall rock with deep vertical fissures.

Saw zero hobbits.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:25 PM   #3087
R.Boonfield

Awesome day on saturday. Started out in 35-40 off Anclote. Took a 24" and a 30"+ gag. Saw a 7-8" tiger shark as well. Very cool. Moved to about 45 and picked up a nice 17" mangrove and 2 nice hogs. Very fun day.
R.Boonfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:50 PM   #3088
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Brown View Post
I found a place like that several years ago, maybe same. Random drop out on the big ledge, I named them "The Cracks of Doom" on my plotter. Weird spot, not any more fishy really than the other ledge areas when I was there. Looks like an earthquake, 10'+ tall rock with deep vertical fissures.

Saw zero hobbits.
ROFL.

Yeah, I'm wondering if this is the same area I've dove a number of times. I took Bondedaddio and Eibwen there when we went out. Not very fishy, but very cool and I found my first Tiger's Paw scallop there.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:56 PM   #3089
Dbrown

No viz report per se....Tried to make it out today Mon 10/29/18 out of NewPort Richey. Turned back after 20 miles. Was 3-5' seas. Water didn't look great where we made it to in 38 foot of water. Try again in Nov. seas were not in line with weather report.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:13 PM   #3090
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown View Post
No viz report per se....Tried to make it out today Mon 10/29/18 out of NewPort Richey. Turned back after 20 miles. Was 3-5' seas. Water didn't look great where we made it to in 38 foot of water. Try again in Nov. seas were not in line with weather report.
Guess that answers my earlier email