Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

View Poll Results: What kind of line do you use?
Monofilament 73 61.86%
Spectra 16 13.56%
Dyneema 18 15.25%
Kevlar 4 3.39%
Other 12 10.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 03:45 AM   #31
DABEER
Team Leagues Deep

Send a message via AIM to DABEER
Re: Best Spearfishing Line?

yozuri pink leader mono is some of the most expensive and hard mono flourocarbon i have ever seen a 50m roll is like a hundred dollars but it is super abrasion resistant and crimps really nice
Old 12-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #32
ArmstrME

Awesome comments! One of the most helpful I've seen to help a new guy learn about what shooting lines to use. Thanks!

I've got a lot of new knots to practice. Still wondering about Rob Allen's comment about sewing braided line...have you all had issues with line strength using knots?
ArmstrME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:14 AM   #33
Rob Allen
Sponsor

To get maximum strength from Dyneema you need to stitch it by hand. Set it up where you need it and sew it into place along about 15mm. I sew with the sewing nylon doubled, no knots, trap the end into the loops as you join. Just zig zag in and out between the 2 strands keeping it very tight.

Once sewn, drip a few drops of super glue over it and then quickly whip over the sewn area. When you get to the end, use a needle nose pliers to push the needle under the whipped area. If whipped tight you will only be able to push it under a few strands at a time. Do this 2 or 3 times. No knots again, all locks up, no lumps. When completed, drip the glue over it and wipe away the excess. The glue does not bond to Dyneema but will keep the wrap stable. If a strand is damaged on reef etc it will not unravel. It all takes about 15 to 20 minutes to do it properly and, you need to do it at both ends otherwise you are wasting your time.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:36 AM   #34
armd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Yard-Sale Josh" View Post
I tie the perfection loop for all my shooting lines that require a knot, never failed over the years, bowline is also very very good. How do you use the palomar in rigging?

I use the perfection loop also, it holds great when tied correctly.
armd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:57 AM   #35
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
To get maximum strength from Dyneema you need to stitch it by hand. Set it up where you need it and sew it into place along about 15mm. I sew with the sewing nylon doubled, no knots, trap the end into the loops as you join. Just zig zag in and out between the 2 strands keeping it very tight.

Once sewn, drip a few drops of super glue over it and then quickly whip over the sewn area. When you get to the end, use a needle nose pliers to push the needle under the whipped area. If whipped tight you will only be able to push it under a few strands at a time. Do this 2 or 3 times. No knots again, all locks up, no lumps. When completed, drip the glue over it and wipe away the excess. The glue does not bond to Dyneema but will keep the wrap stable. If a strand is damaged on reef etc it will not unravel. It all takes about 15 to 20 minutes to do it properly and, you need to do it at both ends otherwise you are wasting your time.

FANTASTIC INFORMATION. I am so tired of knotting and covering with heat shrink.

I run my dyneema to a snap swivel so i can remove the mono from my reel line.
Do you suggest stitching it to the swivel end (like the white line)or should i do a cow hitch(orange line ) as a means of attachment ...

Or do you suggest using a pig tail and ditching the snaps altogether?

kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:45 AM   #36
Rob Allen
Sponsor

Hi Kwtony,

Stitching is definitely stronger, make a loop and looping it into the swivel is fine.

Most here do away with the clip between the mono and the reel line and just tie a slip knot.

Regarding pigtail attachments, we did a few break tests and found snap clips a lot stronger. You obviously get different makes but the ones we tested were not great. I have a whole series of video clips showing the break strains, need to find the time to show.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:15 PM   #37
kwtony
Snorkel Master

I would love to be able to tie slip knots instead of the snap swivel, but with gloves, ive found that knots are hard to untie even being just a little fatigued. I keep up on my snap swivels and replace them annually. I only suggested a pig tail in an effort to keep the stitching replacement to a minimum. It only takes 2 minuet any ways to restitch the line so its not that big a deal.

I had kevlar thread initially but will use the nylon as you suggest. I wanted to make sure that anyone reading this understands that kevlar and cyanoacrylate (super glue) DONT MIX...at least not in a good way. So don't try it unless you have a fire extinguisher handy.

I pros and cons to both, but i never knew pig tails were actually weaker. The lack of any moving parts led me to believe they retained that strength over a longer period of time. I have had snap swivels break on my air gun twice over the years, and both were with fish i did NOT particularly want to freeshaft. One was due to it being left open when shot and the other just broke on its own. Two things that probably wouldn't have happened to a snap swivel since you cant accidentally leave it open. I noticed a lot of different styles online and wonder i there is indeed one that does retain its strength.

I knew of someone that did a series of tests and found that polishing the crimps make a difference, also the type of crimper made a big difference on the breaking point of the gear.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:04 AM   #38
Rob Allen
Sponsor

We use the slip knot because it eliminates the need for a clip.

The knot is quicker to tie and or untie than a clip, it does not rattle on the barrel if you swing the gun fast and, you can rig a double wrap using the reel line as the knot will slip through the water quicker than the clip. I use a thin glove and find it very easy to tie, I have just tried with a 3mm glove and it is doable. The advantage of the knot is that you can un tie the knot with one hand by gripping the tag end in your teeth and just pull. With a clip you need two hands to un tie.

I was once dragged over a mile by a fish when using this knot, it held

Regarding snap clips, make sure they are made with spring steel wire. There are many on the market out of China. They look the same but the wire is soft 316 grade, no spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reel line knot.jpg
Views:	700
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	206152  
Old 05-28-2014, 06:26 AM   #39
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Welll HOT DAMN, no need for any more more "jewelry' on my line.

Fantastic information. Just got done tying one of my spear shaft dyneema up with the lashing method you instructed. Very clean and nice. Much happier then with a bowline or the standard overhand.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:29 AM   #40
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DABEER View Post
yozuri pink leader mono is some of the most expensive and hard mono flourocarbon i have ever seen a 50m roll is like a hundred dollars but it is super abrasion resistant and crimps really nice
I wanted to buy a roll of this for my shooting line. How you like using it over regular mono. The fishing industry goes into great details over all the various types of line in many different publications. Most of these reports are based off of line thats is usually between 8 and 20 lb test. monofilaments and fluorocarbons both have their pros and cons, but I was wonder if it would be worth the investment to upgrade from the regular standard mono in a spearfishing application. Could you please shed some light on this ???
Old 05-28-2014, 08:10 AM   #41
jstiver09

Best Spearfishing Line?

Since your in KW get with JP and ask to buy a little of his 3/64 coated SS cable. For reef hunting it is hands down the best. It is noticeably faster than 300# mono and I have landed many fish that would have been toast if I were using mono. I re-tie my shooting line every couple trips regardless of which type of shooting line.
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:24 AM   #42
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Cable=heavy=unneeded for reef fish=rusts=many other bad and unneed reasons.
There are applications for cable just not for day to day shooting. Also, 300# mono is too big for general reef fishing
q-line or 200# mono is plenty big
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #43
kwtony
Snorkel Master

I use q line on my reels and have 250 on my air gun and koah. I was wondering if the 200 lb yo zuri line would be a good choice in an effort to gain a little more performance out of my fart gun. The koah has no issues throwing the riffe shaft down range, but the air gun gets all the tweaks i can come up with, and then some.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:48 AM   #44
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

cant hurt to try some qline....it aint that bad actually.
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:49 AM   #45
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstiver09 View Post
Since your in KW get with JP and ask to buy a little of his 3/64 coated SS cable. For reef hunting it is hands down the best. It is noticeably faster than 300# mono and I have landed many fish that would have been toast if I were using mono. I re-tie my shooting line every couple trips regardless of which type of shooting line.
Ive spoken with him about this line and we both deducted that it wouldn't be best for my application. It might work for my koah, but if i recall correctly he used it for toothy situations. Cobes mainly. Im sure hell chime in an give a better example of his applications the cable work best work.

I also change the line every few trips. I keep pre cut mono lines with one crimp already set up so all i need to do is thread the other end of the line line through the shark fin and crimp it to replace. I keep 2 back up each for every gun i bring and they are labeled for quick access. Only need 1 line once, but it took all of 31 seconds to replace.