Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing > California Fisheries Regulations and Science (MLPA & MPA)

California Fisheries Regulations and Science (MLPA & MPA) Here is a dedicated forum for the extremely important MLPA & MPA process

Old 12-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
benthosslayer

Custom DFG MLPA, IOS and Android GPS Applications

All,

I've started to put together an online mapping program that will allow you to view your present location with the DFG MLPA map in the background. This application can be used in either Android or IOS applications so it is quite flexible.
The viewer is free in all modes and can be viewed on a desktop or laptop but will not have GPS capability unless you have a USB gps puck installed.

To view the maps on on your phone download the Arc GIS app which is free in app stores. You can view the desktop version through this link:

http://bit.ly/UdLMbo

Copy and paste it into your browser. For the phone app, once you have downloaded and opened the app, search for MLPA maps and you should find the correct map. The title of the map is CA DFG MLPA Map 2-Copy . When you create an account with Arc GIS, you can PM me your user name and I'll add you to a group that has access to all my present and future maps in regards to the MLPA.

Once you have opened the map, you will notice the MLPA outlined over the Bing Hybrid maps. If click the MLPA area it will give you the name, if you click the icon in the area it will open a hyper line with the relevant DFG regulation for that zone along with coordinates. If you activate your gps on your phone, you will have your present location. This service is not tracked like the DFG application. I will add to it and expand the present map to include all areas of the MLPA's. You can change the background map by tapping the on the bottom right side i button. This will open up the Map Layers tab, tap the Bing Hybrid Map arrow to open up the default available background layers, ( ocean floor, topo, street map, etc), tap the new layer you would like as a background, then tap the map icon in the top left corner to return to your map with a new background image.

Let me know if you have any questions or problems accessing the map and I'll do my best to help you out.
benthosslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Re: Custom DFG MLPA, IOS and Android GPS Applications

Ahh, if only I weren't a technophobe and a last generation knuckledragger, this would be really helpful!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 01:15 AM   #3
benthosslayer

There was so much back and forth banter about what was legal where, and what the correct boundaries are thus the idea for the map. If spearboard wanted this map available as a page on this site I would give them the code. It's super simple to use and easy to edit. The maps are hosted by ESRI and the accounts are free. You can even create your fishing maps by adding coordinates and notes for future reference, of course keep those private or add user name and login for security.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
Gatling

Sick. Thanks!
Gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:41 PM   #5
J(dot)
BOOM!!!

This is a great idea. Seems to only load So.Cal and not Cen.Cal or Nor.Cal MLPAs on my system here. I've got a license for full ArcGIS and ArcView 3.x. I'll have to go search for these shapefiles and .bnds
Hadn't even thought of looking for this sort of thing.. thanks for the heads-up Ben.
J(dot)
J(dot) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
benthosslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J(dot) View Post
This is a great idea. Seems to only load So.Cal and not Cen.Cal or Nor.Cal MLPAs on my system here. I've got a license for full ArcGIS and ArcView 3.x. I'll have to go search for these shapefiles and .bnds
Hadn't even thought of looking for this sort of thing.. thanks for the heads-up Ben.
J(dot)
If you would like, I can shoot you a the shapefile for So Cal and if you have the time, you can add the Central CA and other areas you dive in. It is possible to open the map for editing and upload the updated file. The coordinates are straight from the DFG site and the hyperlink is to the DFG site as well. Take care.
Chris