Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Off-Topic

California Off-Topic Remember that politics/religion and general off-topic belong in Special Forums.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
Kelsea
judge of my domain

Need Auto Electrician Reference in Socal - 4Runner tailgate/window issue

So I can't lower the tailgate in my 4runner w/out the window being operational. I've looked at the fuses, and opened up the inside trim panels for my tailgait. I've researched the issue on various online forums.

Diagnosing whether there is a bad electrical switch, or bad wiring, or faulty motor is a bit beyond my scope of expertise at this point. I'd do more troubleshooting myself, but my time is very limited right now.

Need a good Auto Electrician local to the HB area. Willing to drive a bit further for a good reference.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
Lightfoot
NEPTUNE

Re: Need Auto Electrician Reference in Socal - 4Runner tailgate/window issue

Let me know what year and I might be able to get you a schematic and some pointers on what to do next. I would look at it myself but I have no idea when I would have any time in the near future.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #3
Kelsea
judge of my domain

Cody, its a 91. I've tried downloading the factory service manuals. I have the haynes, but I'm not sure I understand the wiring diagram well enough to pinpoint any issue.

Thank you for being willing to help. Its probably something very simple, but I'm lost.

Please send any info to my email (sig line) if you can. Thank you again very very much.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
jaxwax
average joe

Hey Kelsea
My mechanic_neighbor is a good guy that I recommend to friends. Even just over the phone he is pretty helpful and if he does needs to see it, he's in HB. Let me know, I can PM number.
jaxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
Kelsea
judge of my domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshuster View Post
Hey Kelsea
My mechanic_neighbor is a good guy that I recommend to friends. Even just over the phone he is pretty helpful and if he does needs to see it, he's in HB. Let me know, I can PM number.
Thank you - please send me the contact info. I have some helpful guides that some friends here on SB sent to me, but if I can't tease out the issue myself, I will take any good references I can get.

I need to get this tailgate workin! There are some very large animals that will die by the end of this month and I need to be able to haul 'em out!
Old 10-20-2012, 12:48 AM   #6
1000ft2TheBeach
LEEEEEEEEF!

If you already have the panels removed, I can test each part individually and take a look at the regulator, Auto Electric used to be my specialty a few years back, Prob figure out what ales ya in a matter of 10-15minutes. Im in Laguna Beach during the weekend and Costa Mesa during the week. You can give me a call, but my Monday is overbooked.

949 424 4076
after 830am Before 12am is a safe time to call
Lower running temp back to normal and save a boatload of cash. I have descaled hundreds of yachts, sportfishers and boats with a 99.5% success rate. I also do any other repairs on diesel main engines or generators. Authorized Northern Lights dealer
Marinedieselservices.com
More Details on our one day descaling Here: http://unbouncepages.com/heatexchangerservice-1/
1000ft2TheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:53 AM   #7
White Shark
Fire up the grill!

That's a super common problem on 4 Runners of that era. I had a 95 with the same problem.

The short and simple is that the controls work on a switch that varies between the rear wipers and the window motor that raises and lowers the glass. I bet your wiper works fine, but the glass won't move. When the wipers are a tiny bit out of alignment, the switch won't cross over to the glass controls.

Whenever my glass wouldn't move, I'd play around with turning the wipers on and off, then testing for glass control. Eventually I'd get the wiper in the right position, then the glass controls would work and I could open the tailgate. I'd barely open it a crack at the top and keep it there all the time. That way if I hit the wiper control, it wouldn't knock it out of alignment preventing window and tailgate operation.

The only permanent fix would be to rewire and split the controls into separate systems.

You should check out IH8Mud.com for the best Toyota info you'll find anywhere. Although primarily a Land Cruiser site, there's a huge pickup and 4Runner crowd on there as well. Hope it works out fine for you. My solution worked great for me and saved me a lot of headaches in the long run without tearing the world apart.

__

I don't practice "catch and release", I practice "catch and grease"...

Bene legere saecla vincere.

White Shark is offline   Reply With Quote