Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 09-27-2006, 06:00 PM   #46
Ray Odor

Re: How to Kill a Jewfish

Thunderball, I'm so happy you made that drift dive! Now you know what I mean. I appologize for coming down so hard on you. You are a man of honesty.
Now, if the Marine scientists will only listen.
Regards, Ray
Old 09-27-2006, 08:11 PM   #47
hydrodive

Attatched fm Florida Sportsman, courtesy of the Florida State research project.(October '06)Phenomanally detailed results, where do I get my grant? According to Dr. Coleman,"we're trying to census the population, get some sense of the population", with volunteers sending in sighting reports, but no contact in the article where outside sources can send information on sightings. Fifteens years ago they were nowhere to be seen out of Ponce, now if you want to see them, you don't have to look hard at all, and there are some monsters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lastscan.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	38988  
hydrodive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:45 PM   #48
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball
by the way, I did a drift dive in Jupiter two weeks ago (near the hole in the wall) and we counted nearly 45 large GG's in the course of a 15min drift dive, cruising at about 6knots in 130fsw. We saw no blacks and no large snapper. It looked like a bunch of school buses parallel parked!
Hey Thunderball, in all fairness to this subject, I dive that Hole in the Wall ledge almost every weekend and the reason there are no black or gags there now is only because of the time of the year. Nobody is getting blacks and gags in most locations on the Palm Beach County area right now or very few if any.

The Goliaths aggregate at that Hole in the Wall location at certain times of the year also. The two phenomenon are probably not in a cause and effect relationship in that particular east coast Florida location. When the blacks and gags come back in, there will be plenty of them.

I shot a nice 20 pound gag out deep at 210 feet last weekend and there were plenty of other ones out there also. Snapper also move around at different times of the year. My whole point earlier is we need to support and encourage the scientists to study the logical questions using statistical sampling theory. They probably should study more stomach contents to prove once and for all what the impact of the Goliaths of all sizes have on the surrounding species, especially groupers snappers and lobsters to name a few.

I and most people on this board do not have the letters PhD after our names. I really want to encourage the scientists to do well what they are so educated and trained to do in figuring out this complex biology under the water. I want to encourage them to not be influenced by agendas. Hopefully, truth and consensus on what to do will be the end result. Preservation and growth of a vibrant and balanced fish population should be the end game.

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:55 PM   #49
Mr. Bill

I took a number of the GGs but quit when they started to get scarce. They are not too difficult with a powerhead and when they could be sold it did not take long too long to wipe out an area. One instance that really sticks in my mind is when I stopped on a big ledge in about only 45 feet west of Egmont. There was about a 300 pounder on the ledge and hanging from its side was a 24 inch aluminum Voit with about 2 feet of cord connected to a tiny spear about 18 inches long with the spear tip stuck in the side of the fish. Some idiot had shot it with that gun and obviously had to let go. I took pity and grabbed the gun and yanked knowning that I was a little close. Had my mask knocked sideways but the wings on the shaft bent and it came out. I doubt that there was any permanent damage to the fish and I think I still have that gun somewhere in my garage.
Mr. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:34 PM   #50
SeaBass
shamwow

Damn all this contempt being thrown at some FSU scientists! I go to school at FSU and although I don't want to screw my chances of getting into a good graduate school, if you could give some specific names to people that I could get a hold of and/or the department they work at .... maybe I can enlighten them on the situation and help them with conducting more efficient surveys. Or just give them some info that they obviously don't know about or care to learn.... I am a Bio major but have not had any classes deal specifically with marine biology yet so I don't know exactly what they are saying or teaching, but I can sure hand them there ass when it comes to local knowledge of reef habitats and fish populations on the southeast, and with help from our expert divers here on SB maybe I can enlighten them on the jewfish situation ... I know all that has been said on this thread is talk, but I'm sure I can at least arrange a meeting with one of these people to sit down and talk ... maybe you guys can point me in the right direction and help me with what to say
SeaBass is offline   Reply With Quote