Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 08-11-2019, 05:03 PM   #16
popgun pete

Re: Alemanni Travel Gun (cable rollergun)

The "Joker" could have been used to design a two-piece travel gun, but the forward section would probably need some buoyancy as I don’t know if the moveable front part of the "Joker" was solid. As you moved the front section further out in order to lengthen the gun some buoyancy elements were inserted behind it to keep water out of the tunnel section in the front end of the rear gun body. A travel gun, being split into two equal length parts, would need buoyancy in both body sections unless it was styled like a “Mr Dark” with a large buoyancy bulb at the rear.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr Dark Travel Gun.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	243731  

Last edited by popgun pete; 08-11-2019 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Added artist's impression of a Mr Dark Travel Gun
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:01 PM   #17
sacha58

It was well balanced, with the floating parts inserted, in all lengths, with a 7 mm shaft, or even 7.5 , for the shorter sizes. Of course, the gun floated without shaft. It was a pretty good design . I normally used to set it up as a 95, with a 7.5 x 130 shaft or as a 110 with a 7 x 150 shaft. I also experimented with 7.5 x 140 threaded shafts + slip tip and 3 bands in the 110 config. but it was a little too much.

www.c4carbon.com
www.palmbeachfreedivers.com
www.flfreedivers.com
www.polosub.com

sacha58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:34 PM   #18
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha58 View Post
It was well balanced, with the floating parts inserted, in all lengths, with a 7 mm shaft, or even 7.5 , for the shorter sizes. Of course, the gun floated without shaft. It was a pretty good design . I normally used to set it up as a 95, with a 7.5 x 130 shaft or as a 110 with a 7 x 150 shaft. I also experimented with 7.5 x 140 threaded shafts + slip tip and 3 bands in the 110 config. but it was a little too much.
What were the sales like compared to the other models? Was any model more popular than the others, or was price a factor as I expect that the "Joker" was more expensive to produce.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:00 AM   #19
sacha58

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
What were the sales like compared to the other models? Was any model more popular than the others, or was price a factor as I expect that the "Joker" was more expensive to produce.
I am not distributing their products since 2014, so I would not really know. In my personal opinion I think that , for the american market , it would have needed a different size range, like 100 to 120. Cost , of course, is an issue, as these are expensive toys, marketing too. C4 is now participated at 80% by the family that previously owned Omer, so we might see some new products in the future. BTW I sold all my C4 spearguns and , now, I regret not having kept a couple of Jokers.

www.c4carbon.com
www.flfreedivers.com
www.polosub.com

Old 08-12-2019, 03:37 PM   #20
popgun pete

Not sure if Omer will be such a good influence, some of their products have been good, some had problems which were eventually sorted out by progressing to a new model! Products were launched before they were really ready. C4 Carbon have stuck to their knitting, producing what they know and keeping on doing it without worrying too much about following fads.

Longer guns are more a function of the prey and where it is to be shot, the Mediterranean has been fished for millennia whereas in the Pacific some fish species have only been pursued for a few hundred years, if that. Modern spearfishing with mechanical weapons has not thinned out all the really big residential fish in the major oceans and then there are the big pelagic fish which few spearfishermen have ever shot at, the ones the size of small cars.

Last edited by popgun pete; 08-12-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:46 PM   #21
sacha58

i fully agree with you, Med sea usually requires 75 or even shorter to 110 ; Ocean reefs with clean water, most often 110 to 130; Blue water even longer with heavier shafts and more power , any way you like it. You cant make everybody happy, but the joker or similar projects that allow you to easy change the length of your toy and shaft.... should be more welcome, instead they are met with doubt. Who cares anyway I have thinned my herd to 8 spearguns, so , may be, I could get some more . ABout Omer outbuying C4 I guess there was an offer that could not be refused...

www.c4carbon.com
www.flfreedivers.com
www.polosub.com

Old 08-12-2019, 08:11 PM   #22
popgun pete

Finally found a video where we can see the travel spear being unscrewed.
https://youtu.be/CxlOiO6T9Mw

This gun must be an earlier version as the metal plates top and bottom secured with screws that help hold the gun halves together are not used on the later travel gun which has a central peg of a thicker diameter that sockets into a matching receiver on the front end of the gun. On this gun the shooting line secures to a tab near the rear of the front end of the shaft which means that it has a half shaft length in the line wraps. This is probably done to stop the loop formed by the line doubling up on itself as the shaft tail exits the muzzle lassoing the bands on the way out. It can happen intermittently on some guns and pull up the shot prematurely which is a WTF moment when you miss.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:43 AM   #23
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
Not sure if Omer will be such a good influence, some of their products have been good, some had problems which were eventually sorted out by progressing to a new model! Products were launched before they were really ready. C4 Carbon have stuck to their knitting, producing what they know and keeping on doing it without worrying too much about following fads.
[edit]
Interesting with the Omer money/buyout. I share Pete's worry. Omer is incredibly popular in Europe and - due to their marketing - especially with new spearos. But most experienced spearos I know have lost quite a bit of love for the brand and after a few bad buys, I have myself, too. Just too many substandard products coming out of Omer for the past decade or so.
Perhaps, they will manage to mess up C4, or perhaps it's the opposite. Perhaps, Omer have realized that they need some highend products to boost their brand again. We will see.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:11 AM   #24
sacha58

Sorry, I may have not been clear. It is not Omer that bought into C4, but the previous owners of Omer. Omer became part of Aqualung 5 years ago and, I guess, the previous owners had to stay away from the diving industry for a while.

www.c4carbon.com
www.flfreedivers.com
www.polosub.com

Old 08-13-2019, 09:36 AM   #25
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha58 View Post
Sorry, I may have not been clear. It is not Omer that bought into C4, but the previous owners of Omer. Omer became part of Aqualung 5 years ago and, I guess, the previous owners had to stay away from the diving industry for a while.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for elaborating on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:03 AM   #26
Marco

I was worried about C4 too...

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:56 PM   #27
popgun pete

I never realized that Omer had gone to Aqualung which is US Divers. That is very odd as many years ago US Divers swore off spearfishing and quit selling spearguns such as the iconic “Sea Hunter” range, the mid-handle tracked tube guns with the roller sear tooth and their CO2 sparklet spear pistol. It did not fit in with their new image of embracing scuba with spearfishing considered “persona non grata”. And then they buy Omer!

I hope C4 Carbon don't go down the Omer path of new guns every three or four years, quietly dropping the ones that don't work out while introducing new ones as a distraction and a possible solution. People with short memories forget the folded metal sear lever guns which one of my colleagues banned from his shop after a sample Omer gun disgraced itself during a demo. Omer learnt from their mistakes, but customers unfortunately bought them!
Old 08-13-2019, 03:13 PM   #28
Marco

Sending out new models is modern marketing, Pete.

They also need to pay the bills.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 02:44 AM   #29
popgun pete

Let us hope marketing does not outweigh all other considerations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	product development.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	243752