Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 06-29-2018, 02:09 AM   #1
kon

La Paz story and trip report

My wife and I are wrapping up another week in La Paz and we’ve had a great time in the ocean. She typically spends time with her family here while I go spearfish, but this time she decided to join me for the first day out in the water. She’s a level 2 certified FII diver and has speared perch and calico before, but certainly nothing big or in blue water. We went out with Pistoleros Del Mar (aka BACo), they drove us down to Bay of Dreams and took us out to Isla Cerralvo.

My wife used our Vela 135 Special attached to a line and float, and I used my Stilo 115 double roller with reel. Our first hour in blue water was uneventful with only a few bait fish around. The visibility was ok and we took the opportunity to do some warm up dives and I was patiently waiting for our first sighting…

As I dive down a short while later, I level out and immediately see the first wahoo directly in front. I start gesturing at it with my hand but it’s far and out of reach, so I look around and spot one and then two more wahoo around the first, but just like the first they’re far away and not interested. I continue looking around and spot a fourth wahoo in the murk swimming diagonally in my direction. This one felt like a viable target so I focus on it and use my hand to attract its attention. As it swims closer and becomes clearer, it starts to veer away but by that point it had closed enough distance and I start to take aim...

Meanwhile, my wife is about 30 feet off to my side, breathing up at the surface. She spots one of the first wahoos that I saw and prepares to make her dive.

It doesn’t take me long to zero in on my fish and I fire a shot at its center. The 8.5mm shaft penetrates the spine and the wahoo starts to move. It’s not a typical wahoo run and I’m able to hold the shooting line and ascend while the fish swims in front of my camera and between my wife and I.

My wife dives as I reach the surface, but I have no idea that she saw the wahoo and assume that she is just making a regular dive. It didn't occur to me that one of the wahoos swam in her direction and that she may have seen it. I yell over to her but she’s already under the water, so I take a few seconds to secure my line and gun. When I look under the water, I see my wife sinking down and aiming the gun with both hands as she zeros in on an incredibly far top shot. As I bob up and down on the surface and fight my wahoo, I lose sight of her for a split second and when I see her clearly again, she’s already turning around to head for the surface. I look below her and to my genuine surprise, I see a wahoo start to run.

I become arguably more excited than I ever have spearfishing before. She reaches the surface and we start yelling to each other, a moment of pure mutual excitement and happiness. We each shot a wahoo, out of the same school, and at almost the same time. With our minds already sufficiently blown, I try to re-focus on my wahoo to get it into the boat and free myself to help her. While pulling my wahoo up, and in the midst of her stoke, I remind her about the flashers she dropped and that she shouldn’t let go of her gun after she shoots it.

I get my wahoo to the surface, dispatch it and get it on the boat. I then try to reload as quickly as I can to prepare a second shot for her wahoo. Meanwhile, with my direction, she’s gently pulling up on the line and slowly bringing her fish to the surface. I dive down to it and see that she put a solid holding shot into the fish and that it doesn’t need a second shot. I talk her through the rest of process as she brings her fish to the surface, grabs it by the collar, and finally brains and bleeds it.

We then take some time for some underwater photos, and while she’s holding her wahoo I notice a 10ft silky shark swimming behind her. Fortunately, my wife used to be a scuba guide in La Paz and loves sharks, so she shrugs it off and we continue our photo shoot. We wrap it up and my wife retires to the boat for the day.

Like other fish in the ocean, I know that wahoo hunting can be a toss up… sometimes they’re suicidal, sometimes they keep their distance, but at all times you need some amount of luck to land them. I also know that some spearos take a while to land their first wahoo, whether it’s because of shooting too soon or missing shots because of the short height profile. While my wife has impressed me before with her accuracy for shooting small fish, this was her first time ever hunting blue water, first time ever seeing a wahoo and the shot was very, very far, so I think it’s reasonable to say that luck was on our side that day. And suffice it to say, I was a very happy and proud husband.

I threw together a short video of the experience along with another wahoo shot this trip: https://youtu.be/mwtIP1AiChU

I went out 3 more days and conditions steadily became worse, but my luck continued with several more landed fish including two new PBs: a 30lb pargo and 40lb wahoo. I’ve been going out with Pistoleros Del Mar (link here) since I first started spearfishing a few years ago and I couldn’t be happier with the quality of their charters, customer service and guidance. They have several nice boats docked in La Paz that can accommodate different size groups, all of which are a big step up from a standard panga. But they are flexible and can charter pangas out of the Pacific or south of La Paz depending on conditions and convenience. I’ve had countless great times with these guys, so if you’re staying in La Paz or are simply looking for high quality guides and service, I can’t recommend them enough

Click image for larger version

Name:	G0019243_cropped.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	238639

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7341_resized.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	238640

Last edited by kon; 06-29-2018 at 12:37 PM.
kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:32 AM   #2
apeogre

Re: La Paz story and trip report

Nice hoo. THanks for the report
apeogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:36 AM   #3
Behslayer

That is an awesome Spearfishing Story.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:12 AM   #4
Timinator

Yea, that's pretty cool. Congratulations to you both!
Old 06-29-2018, 08:39 AM   #5
Pfish

Awesome story!
Old 06-29-2018, 06:18 PM   #6
Diver278

Great story and nice looking fish.
Diver278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:08 PM   #7
Castor

That is so cool!!! I immediately told my wife the whole story but she didn’t quite share my stoke. Oh well. It’s a work in progress.

I’ll bet your wife is going to want to go more often after that experience.
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:26 PM   #8
dave818

Dude that's awesome! Congrats.
dave818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:34 PM   #9
North Star
Max

Great experience!
Old 06-30-2018, 12:06 AM   #10
kon

Thanks guys! And yes, my wife is excited to do it again and hunt for other pelagics. She says she's ready for a tuna!
Old 06-30-2018, 07:11 PM   #11
Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kon View Post
Thanks guys! And yes, my wife is excited to do it again and hunt for other pelagics. She says she's ready for a tuna!
Hey Kon. This is jason. Ill keep you in the loop on open spots.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Monger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:37 PM   #12
kon

Quote:
Originally Posted by monger View Post
hey kon. This is jason. Ill keep you in the loop on open spots.

Sent from my sm-g892a using tapatalk
Sounds good man, see you soon!
Old 07-01-2018, 10:22 AM   #13
Captn Ron
Long Beach Neptune

This is such a great story! Love that you could experience this with your wife!