Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:49 PM   #1
dirkbeachman
james dean

Azores

Just back from a wonderful trip to the Azores. I had a hard time finding out spearing info before I went so if anyone has questions, feel free to PM me. I was there 10 days and got out on two days drifting for yellowfin, but not a single one spotted. Heaps of barracuda and other smaller tunas, but no big boys. Two things I did learn 1) Go as late as you can, like end of August or September and 2) Pick just a couple of islands and you'll have better odds of getting out in boats. (Each island transfer day ends up being a day you won't get out in a boat and there are some days of hellacious winds also-unpredictable).

Two weeks ago, I heard over and over that the water wasn't warm enough. You are then hoping to find warm currents, although I heard yellowfin were being caught two days by hook I heard on one island. Also by going at the end of the tourist season, you have much better odds getting a boat interested in taking out spearos. Right now, captains are trying to max their earnings running whale watching, dolphin cruises, shoreline cruises or whatever, but they all hold more paying passengers.

Fabulous islands, super friendly people, just a really nice destination!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ut_azores_tunas.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	208988   Click image for larger version

Name:	ut_20140714_SB_sm.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	208989  
dirkbeachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:41 AM   #2
schwaman

Re: Azores

Nice! Glad you enjoyed the Azores.
A WR big eye tuna was shot some weeks ago. Generally tuna season is May- July, Wahoo only when the water is warm enough Aug/Sept.
schwaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:05 AM   #3
Luchini

Sounds great i may will pm you still looking for a nice spot for my holiday and was reading lately about the Azores.

@ schwaman you are located in Switzerland? At the moment i'm in germany and thought about to do a short trip also in winter or early spring know some guys living in Kuwait you may want to join.
Luchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:42 PM   #4
doggiestyle

Hey James good to hear your trip went well and you had a great time exploring somewhere new.
Nice looking bit of coast in your pic,looks like prime NZ snapper hunting terrain.
What's the fish in your pic,did you spear or see much else,any spearing on the reefs or coastline?
Cheers
doggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:10 PM   #5
dirkbeachman
james dean

hey Andy, I struggled to understand Portugese. Funny thing is people would understand my pretty bad Spanish, but then answer me rapidly in Portugese, which really doesn't sound as close as you'd think. So fish names mostly were a blur to me.

But I did find spear two of what I would call a NZ snapper, only difference is they are actually shiny pink, not silver. And instead of cruising gullies, both the ones I got were hanging out looking out from pockets under lava boulders. Same good eating. The name I understood from locals was"pargo," which caught my attention since there is a completely different fish by that name in Mexico.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:28 AM   #6
schwaman

here's a good resource on Azorian fish:
http://www.horta.uac.pt/projectos/ce...sumerguide.pdf
Old 08-04-2014, 03:24 AM   #7
doggiestyle

Looks like a wide range of species when you check out that fish guide.
What's really surprising is just how long or short the life span is of some the fish listed there and just how fast growing some of them must be to get to the weights they attain.
Sounds like one of the sea bream that you were shooting James,tasty looking fish!
doggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #8
schwaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luchini View Post
Sounds great i may will pm you still looking for a nice spot for my holiday and was reading lately about the Azores.

@ schwaman you are located in Switzerland? At the moment i'm in germany and thought about to do a short trip also in winter or early spring know some guys living in Kuwait you may want to join.
Thanks for the offer!
I have a family and am already fully booked for this year :-)
Next year, dont know yet
Old 08-07-2014, 12:35 AM   #9
dirkbeachman
james dean

Manuel, good guide. I actually found a poster with a bunch of this fish in a number of restaurants in Horta. I was lucky to be with an azorean when I shot a grouper because he told me you can shoot that one, not the other one (that we saw first) they looked identical to me.
And there were so many "bicudas" barracudas. They seemed to be attracted to our flashers even if yellowfin or wahoo weren't .
I did wonder if anyone uses burley or chum. Got the big NO when I asked, but doesn't anyone use it when the big pelagics just won't show up?
Old 10-29-2016, 04:55 AM   #10
rahby1us

Hi Dirk, heading to Az next week, sent you a PM if you have anything to share with a shorediver escaping for a few dives while on honeymoon
rahby1us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:34 PM   #11
diveincanada

trying to keep the thread alive - planing a trip there next year.
Any new info available on the Azores ?
diveincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:38 PM   #12
Behslayer

I got a friend visiting Fial and Pico right now. He's an excellent diver. PFII instructor. Experienced Bluewater Spearfisherman. Very good Underwater Photogrpaher/Videographer. Any contacts for guys for him to go Bluewater diving with?
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote