Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2004 Tournament Archives > Spearboard Open Archives 2004 > Spearboard Open Results

Spearboard Open Results Check here for the 2004 Spearboard Open Results

Old 05-27-2004, 01:33 PM   #1
Sheri
So Little Time

Trying to change the subject.....

So where are all the cool fish stories? I'm curious....what were some of the strategies? Did they work? What would you do differently next year...lessons learned? Did you see anything interesting? Any special fish that got away? I'd like to hear more from people who are new to the sport too.

Anybody else get mauled by a trigger? I forgot how those cute little ba$%*ds bite! The first one I speared latched on to my finger and would not let go for two minutes. He bit through my glove, through the skin, and was clamping down on my knuckle! If I pulled on him, he just bit down even harder. It ain't easy being a spearfisher sometimes....

Scott, if it's not too much trouble, do you have the statistics on how many women and juniors competed? And would it be too much trouble to name the top few boats? Scott......once again, thank you!
Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 01:52 PM   #2
Denny
Grounds Hog Day

Didja want to hear about the jack that mr jewfish ate?
Big mofo, at least 50#er, slighlty crippled AJ, shot on the drop at about 60 feet. Didn't get full penetration with my shaft (yeah,yeah, screw ya all) so I tried to follow the big boy down. Jack kicked the shaft at about 100 feet and continued down past the side of the wreck, looking like he was severly disabled, when mr. jewfish poppedc his head out, grabbed Jack and pulled him into the wreck. Cool visual, but what a bummer. So, it seemed, when the rest of the day.

Protecting and promoting the rights of offshore spearfishers and anglers. Join us!
http://www.thefra.org

Check out OFFSHORE HUNTER
Waypoint management software for the serious spearfisher.
Got numbers?
http://www.offshorehunter.com
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 01:54 PM   #3
RichT

Sheri,
GREAT suggestion changing the subject.
I too am curious about the things you mentioned and a list of how individual boats did would be pretty cool.
RichT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 02:02 PM   #4
Slay Ride

I had a turtle try and mate with. No really he wanted me. Had a grouper on the bottom and he tried to "mount" me. I now can say that at least something finds me attractive. He even stuck his flipper through my reg hose and left me with no air for a moment. A few swift beatings to his head with the butt of my speargun made him think twice about making me his girlfriend. Reported to the DNR and they just thought it was funny. Oh well. SBO was definitely interesting. Les
Old 05-27-2004, 02:05 PM   #5
Charlestondivin

You came up with a BIG smile on your face from that dive.. Sicko!
Charlestondivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 02:12 PM   #6
Sheri
So Little Time

Les....yeah, yeah, I know about the turtles. I have a certain buddy, (I'm sure he wants to remain nameless), and the turtles ALWAYS attack him. He's very embarassed by it. I try not to laugh, but....it's amazing how they are drawn to him. Better him than me!

Awww, Denny, that sucks. I know how you feel though. It reminds me of the big cobia that was swallowed whole by the hammerhead. Amazing to watch, but you hate to lose a fish to another predator. I guess it reminds you that it's all one huge food chain under there.

Bottom line, I think we are blessed just to see the things we see down there sometimes.
Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 02:12 PM   #7
Spearooo

Thumbs up SBO

I got my first ARS....and also saw a huge turtle and about 5 jewfish..and got introduced to the gumbo.... My pics are on film but ill scan them soon....
Spearooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 02:13 PM   #8
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Shot my first yellow mouth grouper... or was it a scamp? Don't know yet. I've got photographs coming. He was 27".
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 02:15 PM   #9
usodimare

I brought my friend Giuseppe, freediver, from Italy, and he kept asking about sharks and how dangerous they get, and everybody aboard just told him not to worry, there is just a small chance to see some of them and just relax and go fishing....
First dive Giuseppe makes at the middlegrounds he is surrounded by 20/25 sharks biting his fins!
I do not know how to translate exactly what Giuseppe told me and the others in Italian...Porc%°§!!!
Your mind is an abyss that is no less bitter.
You like to plunge into the bosom of your image;
You embrace it with eyes and arms, and your heart
Is distracted at times from its own clamoring
By the sound of this plaint, wild and untamable.".....
"The Man and the Sea"
Charles Baudelaire

usodimare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 02:55 PM   #10
gumshoe
Medium sized member

Quote:
Originally posted by Slay Ride
I had a turtle try and mate with. No really he wanted me. Had a grouper on the bottom and he tried to "mount" me. I now can say that at least something finds me attractive. He even stuck his flipper through my reg hose and left me with no air for a moment. A few swift beatings to his head with the butt of my speargun made him think twice about making me his girlfriend. Reported to the DNR and they just thought it was funny. Oh well. SBO was definitely interesting. Les

What were you wearing?
gumshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 03:06 PM   #11
BluewaterRocket
Steel Slingin' Carnivore

Send a message via MSN to BluewaterRocket
Had a nice tango with a 38 lb AJ - my 2nd ever. Took me for a roller coaster ride I will not forget. I never did get my stringer through him, and when I surfaced holding him with the spear in one hand, and the eye-sockets with the other, I let out a big "heeeyy" to get the boat driver's attention. The driver is not a diver and panicked when he saw me and my green AJ slappin' the surface - he though I was getting attacked by a shark. It was pretty funny watching him run around the boat not knowing what to do next.

My shaft was pretty bent up and the rest of the day consisted of shooting sheepies at about a 2 ft range.

All-in-all a fantastic day in and on the water. Even picked up a couple mahi on the ride in.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:07 PM   #12
Slay Ride

Here was my outfit. Did take the time out of SBO to grab a few lobsters, couldn't pass them up. Buffalo Lobster Nuggets!!! Les
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sbo sheep-lobster.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	8721  
Old 05-27-2004, 03:09 PM   #13
BluewaterRocket
Steel Slingin' Carnivore

Send a message via MSN to BluewaterRocket
Les - Is there a closed season on bugs in SC?
Old 05-27-2004, 03:10 PM   #14
gumshoe
Medium sized member

Dammit, that is what I was afraid of, those are the same colors that I wear. I was hoping you were wearing something slutty that lured the "big fella" in to you...

ps. nice lobster.
gumshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 03:13 PM   #15
Slay Ride

Quote:
Originally posted by BluewaterRocket
Les - Is there a closed season on bugs in SC?
No. 2 bugs per day per person all year long. No berries obviously. Going again Saturday. Found a nice ledge loaded with lobs.

Les