Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 04-16-2019, 02:58 PM   #1
kodama

Briante spearguns

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwUyaX9o...d=8bnk5z6qavx4

Above is a video of a polispast speargun shooting a 10mm shaft at 7 meters.

Just bringing these spearguns some attention since I haven’t seen them discussed here.

https://youtu.be/yxUlzrwJr8A

Last edited by kodama; 04-16-2019 at 03:10 PM.
kodama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:15 PM   #2
popgun pete

Re: Briante spearguns

The Briante gun from the Facebook page.

https://www.briantespeargun.com/?fbc...6SI0jJAPPzYC8s
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:57 PM   #3
Marco

Wow!

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:30 AM   #4
Mikel_24

10mm shaft... definitely that's NOT for my type of fishing and hunting grounds. I cannot think of a single shot I have taken in my life as a spearo that could have benefit from such a hunk of steel.

Now, BWH is a whole different thing I guess....
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:24 PM   #5
fredfoes

with a tree of 10mm this piece must lead you to the bottom, and it is not the little wood that will prevent it
fredfoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:56 PM   #6
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfoes View Post
with a tree of 10mm this piece must lead you to the bottom, and it is not the little wood that will prevent it

I don’t think there is any wood involved. This is a full carbon fiber gun I believe.

Judging from the video below they are well in control of buoyancy on their guns.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv9p_ITI...=1x9zjagegp8w3
Old 04-17-2019, 02:01 PM   #7
kodama

Briante spearguns

Personally I find these guns very fascinating since they seem to be built for performance. However there are a couple of things I really don’t like about them.
The shape of the barrel is too square and the shaft guide, line guides etc are just screwed on plastic pieces. The lack of a trigger guard bothers me as well. Of course all of the above is just personal preference and if I could shoot one and the performance would be exceptional I can imagine that I would change my mind quite quickly.
I do admire their craftsmanship and sense for quality though.

If anyone has any experience with them please share it here.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:07 PM   #8
popgun pete

Here is a better look at the B3 PACIFIC gun. Reminds me of the Alemanni guns.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BIANTE B3 PACIFIC.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	242160   Click image for larger version

Name:	vela 135 3 views XX.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	242161  
Old 04-17-2019, 03:33 PM   #9
popgun pete

And now in close-up. The upper part of the reel body is the trigger finger guard. Without the bracing assistance of an integral trigger finger guard as in the C4 and Seal's (Kosta's) guns a lot of load is being borne by the rear barrel cross section.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BIANTE B3 PACIFIC MUZZLE.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	242162   Click image for larger version

Name:	BIANTE B3 PACIFIC close-up R.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	242163   Click image for larger version

Name:	BIANTE B3 PACIFIC handle load.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	242164   Click image for larger version

Name:	seal 77 short 1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	242170   Click image for larger version

Name:	seal 77 short 4.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	242171  

Last edited by popgun pete; 04-17-2019 at 04:32 PM. Reason: additional photo and comment
Old 04-17-2019, 09:42 PM   #10
Behslayer

Those are interesting. I remember these guys also made some nice Wooden Guns previously. I wish there was a better testing video. Shooting a 10mm Spear one handed with range is pretty impressive in it's own, but would need to see a real Static test to fully understand what is going on here.

Kosta had been showing that Poliplast Roller with a Kicker can also shoot thinner shafts very fast.. A Thick shaft has some advantages in carrying momentum down range and not flexing during flight, but also has some disadvantages in being very heavy on a fish, and definitely will increase recoil.

The lack of Shaft guide is interesting, but dang it seems like it would be a pain to get that shaft in place reloading? I wouldn't worry about Plastic parts. They're easily replaced. There's many kinds of Plastic. Some High Impact Plastics are use for Handgun parts.. Also, it prevents corrosion issues. If they just had Stianless rods embedded into the Carbon, they could eventually rust and break. With the plastic parts you can unscrew and replace parts and screws upon corrosion.

Not sure how these are made. On their sites they show what looks like either a Wood or Foam core. So looks like they are sleeved which helps explain lack of trigger guard. But, as Pete points out a Trigger Guard would be another avenue for Recoil force to be absorbed and for a brace for overall strength of the back end, and.. would prevent accidentally discharging the gun.. When I'm diving I often hold my gun in my legs, have it tethered to a buoy, etc. etc. I don't understand why a gun would not have a trigger guard.

Shape. Is Functional. Overall. I'd love to see a better test video in a pool and some comparisons using different diameter shafts.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:32 PM   #11
popgun pete

The Briante “B3 Pacific” is basically a one and a half band gun if you neglect the optional top deck band anchored a short distance back from the muzzle. There is the long pre-stretched body window wrapped band and two bands that wrap on the wide curved hook anchor point in front of the reel and grip handle, one a full wrap around and the other with a wishbone. I can tell by looking at it that you apply the lower band with the wishbone last unless there is the top deck band fitted and then you apply that one last. Any bands operating through moving side-pulley blocks only have half their force transmitted to the shaft, the other half goes to the cable drive anchor point at the muzzle. Thus here we have a set of band battery doubles which is one band effective as seen by the cable wishbone and half of the force of the window wrapping pre-stretched band. The latter band, as in the Alemanni guns, is used to have higher tension operate over a long travel distance without stretching the guts out of the band because the band is very long and would not otherwise fit on the gun body which would be too short for it. The bands look thick, so maybe 19 mm or 20 mm diameter. Couple that with a 9 mm (3/8") shaft and that looks like my kind of gun for the mid-upper shooting league. The optional top band has a short power stroke being anchored back from the muzzle and probably helps with roller axle (and side-pulley) “unstick” during the launch phase.

Last edited by popgun pete; 04-17-2019 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:02 PM   #12
popgun pete

Now a look at the heavy shaft series IL 105. This gun is not a cable rollergun like the B3 Pacific, instead it a top and bottom deck full draw rollergun. The band drive no longer has the window wrapping band, instead it has a pre-tension band connecting to the band battery which is similar to the one used on the other gun. The last detail photo shows the rear handle not hanging on by much, maybe even less than the B3 PACIFIC!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BIANTE IL105.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	242173   Click image for larger version

Name:	BIANTE IL105 close up.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	242174   Click image for larger version

Name:	BIANCHE IL105 mech area.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	242175  

Last edited by popgun pete; 04-17-2019 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:16 AM   #13
mclane234

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
The Briante “B3 Pacific” is basically a one and a half band gun if you neglect the optional top deck band anchored a short distance back from the muzzle.
That would be true if you would use the bands of the same thickness and stretch the bands to the same stretch ratio as you would with a normal rubber. Since you actually feel half of the force you drag, you can use a thicker rubber at bigger stretch ratios and "feel" the force equaling to a single band, while at the same time the cable anchor point feeling the double. That said, the three bottom bands transmit to two band gun, not one and a half.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:48 AM   #14
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

I wouldn't worry much about the use of plastic parts, eiher. Also, the screw in approach gives the gun a bit of a modular effect. Unscrew or change what you don't like.
E.g. the shaft guide could possibly come in different sizes and not just one for a 9mm shaft which might not give ideal guidance for a, say, 7.5mm shaft.

As for shooting heavy shafts. Seems like there's quite a bit of a move to 9mm for penetration on e.g. big doggies from what I have seen lately.
Also, I would consider it close to commercial suicide for a speargun builder to make guns for freedivers which are not well balanced in terms of buoyancy. If people want a gun to sink, they can easily do that after the fact but it has to be close to neutral from the shop;-).

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 04-18-2019 at 03:08 AM.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:52 AM   #15
Nicholasclf

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
Now a look at the heavy shaft series IL 105. This gun is not a cable rollergun like the B3 Pacific, instead it a top and bottom deck full draw rollergun. The band drive no longer has the window wrapping band, instead it has a pre-tension band connecting to the band battery which is similar to the one used on the other gun. The last detail photo shows the rear handle not hanging on by much, maybe even less than the B3 PACIFIC!

For this type of rubber setup (where you have a single rubber to the front of gun attached around halfway of the gun to 2-3 rubbers towards the rear) is there dyneema in the single front band to limit the stretch?

Won’t the multiple bands to the rear ‘overstretch’ the front bands?

Not sure if I’m explaining myself properly...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nicholasclf is offline   Reply With Quote