Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:01 AM   #76
moteman

Re: Diving Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npfreediver View Post
Oh so I just teach my kids to give up on what they like to do because they can find anybody else, right, I could die in a car accident, I could get shot, many ways to die, but if I die loving what I doing I think my kids would understand, let hope doesn't get to that point and no im not giving what I love doing.
I'm going to add a different perspective to this discussion. Have you talked to your wife about diving alone and honestly explained the dangers of SWB along with the myriad of other hazards involved with solo diving? I'm guessing not, unless you have a fat life insurance policy. If you have and continue diving solo, the risk is not only that you may never come home, but that you may not have a home to come back too! Find a buddy or you might be looking for a new wife too, LOL.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I solo scuba. My wife is also a DM, has all the same training I have and understands all the dangers but is also aware of my experience and safety precautions. She doesn't spear and our schedules sometimes clash so I solo.
moteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:12 AM   #77
Lyterkillsling
Shaft'n Captain

Diving Alone

I'm not gonna advise it. Not gonna try and give you some speech. I see it almost like surfing heavy swell alone, Only you know your limits. I've made a few dives in our springs by myself and had and erie feeling about it but i sorta got over it and got comfortable and relaxed. I made some pretty solid dives but I also used my personal body signs. I never tried to get a few extra seconds, after my first set of contractions were started I headed to the surface. I never entered the cave. I did most of my diving, no fins. More of just a practice for myself. But would I advise anyone who hasn't had training not to do this. I should be the last person to preach training because I've yet to cough up and take my class but it's true. I have learned a lot over the years from different divers, I've had a professional mentor go over the body language, safety protocol, etc. but never had an actual class. I do practice one up one down with everyone I dive with, I will learn the people I dive with and assist their ascent.

The way I see it is It's playing a game with your life. But that rush can be hard to beat, similar to my surfing big swell statement above... I'm sure you've already had your mind set when posting this just looking for other opinions, all I have is Just be safe man.

BenthicOceanSports.com
Descentspearfishing.com
Lyterkillsling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:04 PM   #78
Npfreediver

Im aware of the dangers of swb, but I dont think thats my biggest fear, cause I know my limits I know how deep I can I go, not to push my self I dive by my self and with buddies, I hope not to become one the statistics, hope to comeback home after every dive, I think my biggest fear is to run into a gws, I think that is my biggest, not much to do in that case but defend ur self.
Npfreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #79
Lyterkillsling
Shaft'n Captain

Diving Alone

Uh.... Shoot that ****er in the face. That's choosing life or death, of course.

BenthicOceanSports.com
Descentspearfishing.com

Last edited by Lyterkillsling; 09-20-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:25 PM   #80
Npfreediver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyterkillsling View Post
Uh.... Shoot that ****er in the face. That's choose life or death, of course.
Hell yeah.
Npfreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:26 AM   #81
flamencoguru
FII Freediving Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishin2 View Post
Agree....

To clarify and point out....a scenario which is not uncommon is to have a "noob" in a class. How is that person(s) going to help you at 60ft when they can barely if at all make that dive? That scenario is common in both freediving and scuba and especially in the beginning stages of a class.

I know my body, i can tell to you to within a couple seconds when my contractions start. I know from my breatheup how long I will be able to stay submerged. I can tell how deep I am without looking at a device. I know all this from experience. Im not saying its for everyone however with the proper training it can be done.

Would I recommend it no. Are there people besides myself that can and actually do it, yes. There are people all over the world in foreign countries who dont know that freediving instruction actually exists. These are the fishermen in poor developing countries who freedive and fish everyday for substistance. They have learned from their fathers and others principles that many of us dont know. They dive alone everyday safely. Do some perish in accidents of course. But it is possible to dive alone safely in certain circumstances. I know what Im saying isnt the popular answer but, it is the truth.
.... but we are not those people and we know and have access to formal freediving education ( with both North America and Europe, we have access to pretty much every amenity known to man). When FII brought the FII Basic freediving class to Molokai, the people of the island were knocking down the door to get educated (almost 50 people were train in a weekend with several different sessions)..... I think if we offered the courses to indigenous people, many of them would jump on the opportunity to learn more.

But again, it's not about taking classes on this thread, it's the fact of people finding it ok to dive alone.
flamencoguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:48 AM   #82
Lyterkillsling
Shaft'n Captain

Diving Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishin2 View Post
Agree....

To clarify and point out....a scenario which is not uncommon is to have a "noob" in a class. How is that person(s) going to help you at 60ft when they can barely if at all make that dive? That scenario is common in both freediving and scuba and especially in the beginning stages of a class.

Not sure on some but the beginning stage of a class should not involve deep diving. When your talking about people that can't dive 60ft, your talking beginners. There is no way an instructor is gonna dive 100ft to show off while diving with these people. I'm positive that aspect has been looked over by instructors. I completely agree that students must watch their instructor that's the lesson to begin with. You must always keep an eye on the person you are diving with. Another point is when people are training line diving, they should be wearing a lanyard.

Now like what was stated before about diving bad viz, I too live on the gulf coast where sometimes you don't always have an eye on someone, the key is to know who you are diving with, know their limit so you can have an ideal time of resurfacing. A lot of times when I do plan on diving with somebody I either want to take them to a spring and get a feel for their ability or make sure they have taken a class.

I feel if your gonna dive alone a lot, a recovery vest would be smart to have. But I said it before, the choice is yours. Just remember we have a thread of fallen divers on this forum. Give it a glance. It could change your mind.

BenthicOceanSports.com
Descentspearfishing.com

Last edited by Lyterkillsling; 09-22-2014 at 06:02 AM.