Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific

Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific Post your shooting reports and other stuff from Down Under and beyond

Old 05-18-2011, 04:11 AM   #1
yamaneko

Okinawa spearfishing

I`m new to spearfishing but it sounds fun. I got a hawaii sling (I don`t want any trouble with the law so I`m staying legal) and am wanting to go give it a try but where is a good place to go? I am from Kadena so if possible as close to here as possible to start would be great! Also, if anyone is interested in going with me drop me a line!
I appreciate any info or tips!
yamaneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:58 AM   #2
cww180

Re: Okinawa spearfishing

PM sent.
cww180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
JDMDingo

i'm sure the PM said this but.....do not spear kadena or anywhere with other diving.
JDMDingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:56 PM   #4
CaptainFrick

I am new as well and I need a spot. I'm staying in Onna by Moon Beach resort. There seems to be a ton of action in the water on a beach that's between Moon Beach resort and the San Marina Hotel. If I am just pole spearing is this legal? I am having a hard time finding out any rules. I talked to the dive shop lady at Hansen and she said her husband goes near here. Any help would greatly be appreciated. I need fresh fish for dinner.
CaptainFrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:02 PM   #5
JDMDingo

polespear is legal but not everwhere, i know mihama/chatan, sunabe and maeda are fish sancuaries. a good rule is don't pole fish at any public beach or where there are other divers. find your own secluded beach or entrance to the water.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
CaptainFrick

So far when I have gone down there I have rarely seen people in the water. But this area does look like a swimming beach. Do you know of any secluded beaches near Onna or Moon Beach Resort?
CaptainFrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:26 PM   #7
JDMDingo

nope, it's too much of a tourist area....we stay away from there. oh, if you do go, don't take corel or lobser...both carry a big fine
Old 09-13-2011, 07:36 AM   #8
a99collectible

I've been on island since January and I've hunted several locations. One of my most frequent areas is near Bollo point / Zanpa lighthouse. I use a kayak to get around and only take what I eat. I've been to Ikei, Hamahiga and Kouri islands. All of them have different species. I saw a large Pompano on Kouri on Labor day. I have a wife and kids who love the water and we search for nice private beaches all the time. My yak and gun go with me everywhere. The most consistently large fish I've speared here looks like a hog fish or grunt. The blue parrot taste awesome, especially as sashimi. The grouper I've seen are too small for my fishing ethics. Like others say, stay away from dive spots and fishermen. Guns with trigger mechanisms can only be used by licensed commercial fisherman.
a99collectible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #9
Jabroney

Send a message via MSN to Jabroney

If the grouper you're seeing are "too small for your fishing ethics" in Oki, then you're not hitting the right spots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a99collectible View Post
I've been on island since January and I've hunted several locations. One of my most frequent areas is near Bollo point / Zanpa lighthouse. I use a kayak to get around and only take what I eat. I've been to Ikei, Hamahiga and Kouri islands. All of them have different species. I saw a large Pompano on Kouri on Labor day. I have a wife and kids who love the water and we search for nice private beaches all the time. My yak and gun go with me everywhere. The most consistently large fish I've speared here looks like a hog fish or grunt. The blue parrot taste awesome, especially as sashimi. The grouper I've seen are too small for my fishing ethics. Like others say, stay away from dive spots and fishermen. Guns with trigger mechanisms can only be used by licensed commercial fisherman.
Jabroney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #10
freedivingfool
JOIN OUR DIVE CLUB!

there is no fish in Okinawa it's all fished out, you have to call Capt. Billy to get you on the fish!!
Old 01-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #11
a99collectible

I've only seen one really large grouper here. 75-100lbs. East of suicide cliffs, near that water treatment facility. I see coral grouper all the time, but rarely anything bigger than 15". Where d you see big ones? Today there was big school of snapper near Bollo point. Real nice size. I never thought I'd be happy about missing, but right after I pulled trigger on first shot, a reef shark came to say hello. Unfortunately, he wasn't the typical 5 footer. I surfaced and got my buddy's attention. We hung out above the coral ledge a while, then I made another dive and the shark came in on me again. He was the biggest reef shark I've ever seen here, including shark tank at aquarium. I admit, I let him have all the snapper and we left.
a99collectible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #12
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick james View Post
I shoot anything, I will shoot as many fish as I can on the way to the drop off's just to get my aim on point for "the Big ones"! the smaller fish are good to shoot because you have to aim good for warm up. mainly I am just giving the fish a fair warning that I am coming for them in attempt to make it slightly challenging. It rarely works because fish are so stupid that's why I shoot them anyways. I would chum the fish I kill on the way out but its too much work and just not necessary. I do it for the fish prints so I can hang them on my wall, if i'm going to swim around with a fish on my belt or buoy it is at least 5 kilos everything else is just practice. I guess I would eat them if I liked the taste of fish to begin with. I feel justified for killing small ones by making more food for other fish to eat. I don't know, makes sense to me.
knucklehead im in thighland right now....hahahahahah coming from a guy who uses a napolean (seasick)for a pillow thats some serious shit talk
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #13
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Talking Re: Okinawa spearfishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishin2 View Post
knucklehead im in thighland right now....hahahahahah coming from a guy who uses a napolean (seasick)for a pillow thats some serious shit talk
Woody, are there alot of nice "thighs" in Thighland?

Sorry for the de-rail, but that was too good to pass up - LOL
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #14
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearMax View Post
Woody, are there alot of nice "thighs" in Thighland?

Sorry for the de-rail, but that was too good to pass up - LOL
Maybe I should start a Thighland thread??? Actually I think I will. Stay tuned

2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:28 AM   #15
Jabroney

Send a message via MSN to Jabroney

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedivingfool View Post
there is no fish in Okinawa it's all fished out, you have to call Capt. Billy to get you on the fish!!
Yea right, Capt Billy rips people off using top-water bait and shit for all the little fish. We're gonna start a charter w/ my boat in NC and make big bucks taking people vertical jigging! Then we can go down to the keys and catch lobsters!

Last edited by Jabroney; 02-11-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Jabroney is offline   Reply With Quote