Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-30-2014, 06:55 AM   #1
Kaz

Exclamation Riffe Euro 90 Help!

Hello,
I have been looking for a new gun and I have been reasearching alot and i mean ALOT and i ended up choosing between the Bleu Lucan and Pathos Laser Carbon. Today i went to a store with my uncle recommended by a friend of ours and i saw the Riffe Euro 90cm. My initial budget was no more than 350. But something changed.

The standard price of the Riffe Euro at the shop was 540
EUROS without the reel. As i said we went there with connections so he gave me a discount of 100 euros and the price of the gun for me was 420! Then, i asked about the reel, which was sold at the price of 150 euros. Insane price right? Anyway, he gave me another discount on the reel and offered to seel me the gun WITH the reel for 520 euros. If i didnt get any discount the price of both together would be 720 euros total aproximately. So the offer i got was very good! I didnt even consider researching for a wooden gun cause i knew they costed alot and were way outside my budget! With this offer however, even my mom (who is paying) agreed to do me the favour, and tomorrow he is waiting for me o go back and buy it.

Now what im asking is, is 520 euros worth the gun? What do you have to say about it?

Also, despite the gun's abilities i also like the design of the gun alot and i can feel it being my own which for me is important as it raises my motivation and confidence. So have that in mind as well. My uncle always said to me "Its not the gun, its the diver."

Also, they also have the Riffe Competitor there which is 100 euros lower price. But i still went with the Euro as the Competitor has a shooting range of 3m and the Euro 5.5m which is pretty impressive.

Thank you for reading and please respond ASAP as i have to decide in the next 20 hrs!

Last edited by Kaz; 07-30-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:02 AM   #2
apexdiver
Tony

Re: Riffe Euro 90 Help!

I would go with the pathos carbon.
apexdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:05 AM   #3
Kaz

The pathos and bleu guns that i liked arent available gor me
at the moment and i need a gun ASAP cause im going for holidays where i spearfish which is far away from the coty and im also crossing a border so i have to buy a gun before i leave in 2 days to have with me!
Old 07-30-2014, 07:11 AM   #4
Lone Star Spearo
Extreme snorkeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
Hello,
I have been looking for a new gun and I have been reasearching alot and i mean ALOT and i ended up choosing between the Bleu Lucan and Pathos Laser Carbon. Today i went to a store with my uncle recommended by a friend of ours and i saw the Riffe Euro 90cm. My initial budget was no more than 350. But something changed.

The standard price of the Riffe Euro at the shop was 540
EUROS without the reel. As i said we went there with connections so he gave me a discount of 100 euros and the price of the gun for me was 420! Then, i asked about the reel, which was sold at the price of 150 euros. Insane price right? Anyway, he gave me another discount on the reel and offered to seel me the gun WITH the reel for 520 euros. If i didnt get any discount the price of both together would be 720 euros total aproximately. So the offer i got was very good! I didnt even consider researching for a wooden gun cause i knew they costed alot and were way outside my budget! With this offer however, even my mom (who is paying) agreed to do me the favour, and tomorrow he is waiting for me o go back and buy it.

Now what im asking is, is 520 euros worth the gun? What do you have to say about it?

Also, despite the gun's abilities i also like the design of the gun alot and i can feel it being my own which for me is important as it raises my motivation and confidence. So have that in mind as well. My uncle always said to me "Its not the gun, its the diver."

Also, they also have the Riffe Competitor there which is 100 euros lower price. But i still went with the Euro as the Competitor has a shooting range of 3m and the Euro 5.5m which is pretty impressive.

Thank you for reading and please respond ASAP as i have to decide in the next 20 hrs!
Absolutely not, not worth anywhere near that amount. 520eu is $700 USD, thats insane for a Riffe Euro 90cm gun and reel. I have to believe you can purchase another gun for that kind of money there in Cyprus or somewhere nearby.

Also, those shooting ranges are not exactly accurate, 5.5m is 18ft, I don't see a 90cm Riffe shooting 18ft.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:14 AM   #5
Murk_Man'22

Do more research.....duh.....
Well Deutschland beat me to it. That's way to much for that gun, have your mom save her money and look online for the same gun. Orrrrr look on this forum and other forums and buy a used gun which with that amount you were going to drop on that riffe should land you a sweet gun!! And you never know might be lucky enough to find a custom gun for that price. 520 euro ; 700 dollars. I see deals on this board for custom guns in that price range frequently

Murk_Man'22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:18 AM   #6
apexdiver
Tony

Does the shop have any railguns?
apexdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:21 AM   #7
spearq8

The Riffe Euro only starts to have an advantage over normal pipe guns at 110 or even 120. At 90cm I would prefer a pipe gun like a Beuchat, Cressi, Mares, Pathos, Sporasub etc... and it would be crazy to spend 520 euros on a Riffe 90 when you can get so many better guns for your purpose. I have a Riffe Euro 100 and I would compare the power to being about the same as my Beuchat 95. You should be able to get something really good for less than half what a Riffe Euro 90 would cost you without sacrificing any performance. But really before deciding on the gun, have you decided what type of fish you will be shooting.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:21 AM   #8
Kaz

Thank you for your reply!

Basically, there are only 2-3 shops you can find in Nicosia where i live. One i didnt even go cause they only sell cressi and picasso which im not interested in. I went at the other 2. One that had the Riffe guns and at the other i only found 1 that was nice, the Sporasub SK40 for 330 euros. Ofcourse i could also get a discount there because i know the guy well but still i wasnt very motivated to buy that one. Thats why i went for Blue Lycan or Pathos Laser Carbon which can only be found in Limassol (another city that is 1+ hrs away) at a shop that is owned by my freediving and apnea instructor. I called him to ask for the models so he would send them to me in Nicosia to check them out but it turns out they broke into his shop the other night and stole ALL his spearguns. Thats why i ended up thinking about the Riffe... :/
Old 07-30-2014, 07:24 AM   #9
Kaz

Hello spearq8,

Yes I shoot all kinds of mediterennean fish basically. I dive at max 20 meters now but mostly no more than 15... even though thats not too deep here in Cyprus 1/10 times
you dive, even at those depths you come across big amberjacks and dentex... so i want to be able to shoot at those as well with ease..
Old 07-30-2014, 07:28 AM   #10
Lone Star Spearo
Extreme snorkeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
Thank you for your reply!

Basically, there are only 2-3 shops you can find in Nicosia where i live. One i didnt even go cause they only sell cressi and picasso which im not interested in. I went at the other 2. One that had the Riffe guns and at the other i only found 1 that was nice, the Sporasub SK40 for 330 euros. Ofcourse i could also get a discount there because i know the guy well but still i wasnt very motivated to buy that one. Thats why i went for Blue Lycan or Pathos Laser Carbon which can only be found in Limassol (another city that is 1+ hrs away) at a shop that is owned by my freediving and apnea instructor. I called him to ask for the models so he would send them to me in Nicosia to check them out but it turns out they broke into his shop the other night and stole ALL his spearguns. Thats why i ended up thinking about the Riffe... :/
Go with the Picasso, they make a nice gun. No need to drop all that loot on a Riffe Euro when a Picasso or other rail gun will do just fine.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:31 AM   #11
Kaz

The thing is, i mentioned before that it also plays a great role to me if i personaly like a guns design and features and i can feel it being my own. Thats whats missing from picasso guns. I just dont like them they dont motivate me at all so i wouldnt go for it.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:33 AM   #12
Lone Star Spearo
Extreme snorkeler

It sounds like you already have your mind made up, why ask? No one will tell you to pay $700 for a Riffe Euro 90cm, no one that I know at least.
Get the Riffe and be happy...
Old 07-30-2014, 07:33 AM   #13
spearq8

Well then maybe a 90 gun is not enough and you need a bigger gun. Dentex can be very shy and you might need long range capability. Amerjack can get big and a 90 gun will only manage get through at very close range. The minimum I would recommend is something like a 105cm gun with a 6.75mm shaft. If you insist on a Riffe, then get the 120X and change the shaft to 150cm @ 7mm with 2 x 16mm bands ... it will work extremely well on long range shots at Dentex and easily handle Amberjack. Greece has tons of excellent sites to buy guns from and you are actually lucky to be so close. Why not order online? Here is a site I use and you might call them

http://www.diveshop.gr/index.php/cat...w/s/102/id/28/
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:34 AM   #14
Kaz

If i was to get the Riffe Euro 90 what price do you suggest i should get it at? And what comments do u have to say about it?
Old 07-30-2014, 07:51 AM   #15
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Wow guys, youre all basing all this information off the weak ass usd thats literally on the brink of collapse...if the kid wants to get the gun, let him.

People have spent waay more then that at local US dive shops on their riffe euro set ups. Remember hes in cyprus. He could probably get two nice wooden guns, or even two carbon pathos here in the states for that. But like hes said, there are only a few shops around and so far this is the best for HIM (not you guys sitting in the states scouring the interweb at 3 am). He needs a gun NOW and thats that. All that gun will need for the next 10 years are fresh bands, an occasional shaft and a rubbed down with tung oil each year, youll probably be able to pass it on to your kids when the time comes....go in crisp eruos and see if theyll make you a deal on a second riffe shaft. Always have a backup handy...

my suggestions..if you are THIS happy about a wooden gun you saw, that your moms went out of her way to get it for you, id personally say DO IT....and good luck
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote