Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 07-13-2018, 06:53 PM   #1
Bob Ballew

A Fish Report-Sort of...

...With the batteries showing full charge last week, disappointment was in store the morning of our departure. Seems corrosion had done it's job from the boat sitting too long over the winter while I worked on a kitchen remodel...With wiring corrosion (including a live mouse nest) and dead batteries, it was on to Plan B...if you own a boat, you know "B", well....
...Reservations on the Catalina Express quickly put us on the island for 3 days to celebrate my wife's retirement and birthday. One nite at the Avalon hotel with a bottle of wine waiting on our bed and a nice breakfast included (not cheap) on the koi pond patio got us off to a good start. The following day, a move to The Inn on Mt. Ada (the Wrigley mansion) let us live the life of the rich and famous for two days (really, not cheap)….
...With mountain top views out over the harbor, breakfast (smoked salmon omelets), crumb crusted local halibut for lunch and afternoon wine and cheese (all you can imbibe), the orange sunset over Avalon was just a top off bonus...Your use of a golf cart the entire stay is included ($65 an hour at the rental place). Deer and fawns browsed each evening on the Wrigley plants and we even saw a Catalina fox dash down the path.. Anyway, you get the drift...Now for the fish report:
...I contacted my Avalon sources who related the following: A large mass of Bluefin tuna is just s/e of the 43 at present...One boat hooked seven and they were only able to land the smallest one, weighing in at 175 lbs. San Clemente island and Catalina still has a good quantity of yellowtail and sea bass up the backside, with squid spots still there...The hot spot is San Nic, where daily boat limits of white sea bass is occuring...Spearguns have the edge, as so much bait is around that hookups are tough, unless live squid is available. Yellowfin are within 1/2 day range of San Diego boats and some dorado have been spotted on kelp paddies in the Catalina channel....Green water from the Mexico hurricane is gradually clearing around Catalina where vis was 15 to 20 feet, so, this next week should be great...if my new batteries get here in time... yellowfin as close as 2 miles off La Jolla are getting wrapped by 6 seiners as soon as the spotter plane surveils them...we need some limits on our commercial fleet....

Postscript: 7/16/18: dorado caught on paddies 6 out of Newport Beach and breaking bluefin seen off Cat's east end... With a forecast of warm water El Nino conditions forming (65 percent chance currently) thru the fall and at 70 percent thru winter, we may have monster bluefin thru December...rig big, or, stay home....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 07-18-2018 at 12:26 AM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:08 PM   #2
Lompoc Local
Errin

Re: A Fish Report-Sort of...

Fak

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote