Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:34 PM   #16
floridasam

Re: Enough already!

shark spearfishing troubles...

http://www.myfwc.com/fishing/saltwat...tional/sharks/

says hook/line gear only? so no spearfishing them.....for harvest? so can i PH them if they look at me funny? i dont entend to "harvest" them.? i mean after all what happens at 60ft stays at 60ft right?
floridasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:46 AM   #17
pissingoffpeta

Good thread to call out to Greg Fenton!!! I need more slip on PPDs. Anybody know how to contact him? I tried his old paypal address but it appeared inactive. I had a bad encounter the othe day too.
pissingoffpeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:33 AM   #18
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by pissingoffpeta View Post
Good thread to call out to Greg Fenton!!! I need more slip on PPDs. Anybody know how to contact him? I tried his old paypal address but it appeared inactive. I had a bad encounter the othe day too.
I know Ray Odor has them (the slip-ons) as well as pouches to carry them.

http://www.spearfishing.cc/Personal%...n%20Device.htm
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:30 PM   #19
searaydiver
Capt. Bob Roemer

Lloyd Baileys in Gainesville has .223 slip on's or at least he had them.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #20
pissingoffpeta

Yeah Lloyd has them but Greg's are 1/3 the price and have a hard plastic insert vs fuel hose
pissingoffpeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:30 PM   #21
seadogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Florian View Post
We were forced out of the water yesterday by FOUR Bull Sharks off of Homosassa. I have NEVER had shark issues up my way until recently. I held my fire on these guys for the simple fact that I didn't have a power head with me and I only had two shafts. These sharks were amped up, fins down and very pissed off! My brother has a 12 ga. power head that induces total devastation on anything that it comes in contact with. I have one ordered I personally am going to start putting the heat on every Bull Shark that I come in contact with that doesn't head for the hills after being poked at.
X2.

JESUS SAID...."Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day.....Teach a man to spear & he will eat for a life time or until SAFMC shuts everything down " or something like that.
seadogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:58 PM   #22
40tude

They were on us today before even getting in the water! Crazy! Must be following all the Spanish Macks?
40tude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:52 AM   #23
Capt.Gene

Diving yesterday, several large BOOM's were heard.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:11 AM   #24
aniceplace

I had a recreational dive planned for today off of Tarpon with my wife and two daughters, but will postpone until the sharky business calms down. I haven't had any experience with aggressive sharks and don't want to gain it with the family in the water.
aniceplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:07 AM   #25
dkay

We even had shark problems hook and line fishing on Sunday in 40' off Hudson. The grouper bite was on fire when my wife was pulling up a nice grouper when a big shark came up and stole it about 10' under the boat. A friend happened to be cooling off in the water at the same time and I have never seen him move so fast when he saw it and jumped back in the boat. After that the bite turned off and we decided that we would not dive that spot!
dkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:31 AM   #26
grey2112

Yesterday was the first time I dove off of Homosassa, out to about 40+ feet. Viz was kind of crappy in half the spots we dove. The other three guys on the dives saw sharks but I didn't see a single one - rare for me. Guess they just didn't like me enough to say "Hello"

One got aggressive enough to get a powerhead to the body, but the damn thing didn't go off (brand new Ray Odor slip-on PPD that had never seen water, and the round was sealed) - don't know what went wrong there. Perhaps the round (and Israeli IMI true milspec) has too hard of a primer - in the past I've had some ARs with slightly weaker firing pin springs/triggers fail to ignite those primers.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:09 AM   #27
Water Boy76
Hardbottom Houligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pissingoffpeta View Post
Yeah Lloyd has them but Greg's are 1/3 the price and have a hard plastic insert vs fuel hose
Haven't ordered from him in a long time but this is the site I used.

http://www.onemoredropdiving.com/
Old 07-07-2014, 08:34 AM   #28
Seal Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
Yesterday was the first time I dove off of Homosassa, out to about 40+ feet. Viz was kind of crappy in half the spots we dove. The other three guys on the dives saw sharks but I didn't see a single one - rare for me. Guess they just didn't like me enough to say "Hello"

One got aggressive enough to get a powerhead to the body, but the damn thing didn't go off (brand new Ray Odor slip-on PPD that had never seen water, and the round was sealed) - don't know what went wrong there. Perhaps the round (and Israeli IMI true milspec) has too hard of a primer - in the past I've had some ARs with slightly weaker firing pin springs/triggers fail to ignite those primers.
The day we saw that big bull mine failed as well. I wanted to see if a sealed 44 mag would work on a subsequent dive and it failed. For me sealed rounds and one dive each. Order one up and I'll help you mount that sucker to your kill spike. It's saved my asz once already.
Seal Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:03 AM   #29
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seal Rock View Post
The day we saw that big bull mine failed as well. I wanted to see if a sealed 44 mag would work on a subsequent dive and it failed. For me sealed rounds and one dive each. Order one up and I'll help you mount that sucker to your kill spike. It's saved my asz once already.
Still don't know how comfortable I'd feel having it on the kill spike - I just feel like it could be more dangerous that it is worth mounted there.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:18 AM   #30
spearhunter11
Surgical Shooter!

I use five layers of nail polish and don't have any problems with rounds not going off, If I skimp on the polish my rounds don't detonate. If you like your hands don't use the kill spike as a powerhead holder. Also after the day is done all my rounds go the bottom after the last dive!
spearhunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote