Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:48 PM   #1
yaml

carbon vs fg blades:performance benefits/differences in length/width

so during my FD class i got to use some deep apnea 85cm carbon blades (never had used carbon before); i usually use mako FG 80cm; not only were the carbon blades longer but they were narrower than my FG; they felt "fine" but i didn't notice any "dramatic" difference in performance (granted we were in a class so not an ideal environment for comparison); i feel the carbons were "smoother" on the surface when compared to my FG but on drops and ascents i guess i thought (was hoping) the difference in performance would more dramatic; is this a typical observation? how much diff does the extra length make? does the extra width of my FG fins "help" or "hurt" vs the narrower fins? i am just trying to determine if carbons would be worth the investment (i.e. affording the fin is not a problem-but does the difference in performance warrant their purchase?: i am 63, in good shape, max depth 66ft but only get to freedive/spearfish a few weeks a year (so far)); i have read most of the reports and opinions of other posters (all of whom are vastly more experienced than i and spend a geat deal of time in the water so i can see how any edge carbons may provide would be beneficial); just looking for some learned opinions-thanks
yaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:05 AM   #2
KILLIAN
from lurker to legend...

Re: carbon vs fg blades:performance benefits/differences in length/width

Carbon is lighter material and tens to weigh less and that helps cause less fatigue on joints. Carbon if built correctly has more springiness to snap back to shape smoothly.

But in my opinion unless you got cash to burn you don't need the carbon. DiveR fins are my personal best choice. Durable and they come in various materials to upgrade into if you like. I love my DiveR fiberglass fins. My buddy has them in carbon and he loves them room. Only spend it if you really want it, you don't NEED it at all.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:16 AM   #3
Dr.P

Just my personal experience, but I've been through over 10 different sets of carbon fins trying to find what works best for me. ...I'm actually working on a little fin wiki to try to help people get an idea of stiffness, length, and width, as well as torsional rigidity, which most people never think about. I think the biggest problem is there's no consistency one brand to the next on what a soft vs a medium fin is. I've been through the super long fins, and my personal opinion is that they just don't work. Sure, they'll move you along, but the length adds a great deal of resistance and I've never seen someone kicking long fins with proper form. ...I certainly cannot, and this is coming from someone who has had several and wouldn't wear anything else for years. Additionally, if you try to make the fins softer to compensate for the length, they start to make an S curve, which just adds resistance. They also cause you to use the bigger muscles in your legs that burn more oxygen. For me, I've found that a soft fin somewhere around 74-76cm long works best for me and my kick cycle. (I'm 6'3", 200 lbs, for whatever it's worth) To answer your original question, I notice the biggest difference between CF and fiberglass in these soft fins. It's hard to make a really soft blade that snaps well, and CF does it best.
Dr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:30 AM   #4
jaxwax
average joe

What killian said above I can't agree with more. DiveR fiberglass is what I've ended up at too as I choose durability over performance gains

You will get a better performance out of any fin when you clean up your kicking technique as well IMO

If the carbon itch is too great then get a pair of quality brand blades. And just as important the right pocket tendons which allow the blade to do what it was designed to in the first place
jaxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:50 PM   #5
Ryfish

As Killian states the DiveR FG blades are tough to beat very good price and will last many years of tough abuse. I used them for years and liked them very much, I tried a number of carbons (monana C4s, deep apnea, etc) over the years and didn't think the little extra performance was worth it. BUT then I got a pair of new CF DiveR blades with the newest rails on the side and I can tell you the extra performance is way worth it. The performance far exceeds other carbons I have tried, I really think he nailed it with the newest carbons. I felt it was like about a 30% improvement of performance over the FG blades. They are built to last like the FG also and have a great warranty. Give Ray a call he will tell you exactly what set up you need.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:07 PM   #6
Chet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryfish View Post
As Killian states the DiveR FG blades are tough to beat very good price and will last many years of tough abuse. I used them for years and liked them very much, I tried a number of carbons (monana C4s, deep apnea, etc) over the years and didn't think the little extra performance was worth it. BUT then I got a pair of new CF DiveR blades with the newest rails on the side and I can tell you the extra performance is way worth it. The performance far exceeds other carbons I have tried, I really think he nailed it with the newest carbons. I felt it was like about a 30% improvement of performance over the FG blades. They are built to last like the FG also and have a great warranty. Give Ray a call he will tell you exactly what set up you need.
Are they DiveR Innegra Carbons?
They are new, if you can give review would be awesome.
Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:36 PM   #7
32Juan
RIP Bird Rock (∞-1/1/12)

$500 for just blades is ridiculous.

Carbon is great, but there are great fins out there that won't break the bank. FG is bomb proof, but carbon is lighter.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:14 PM   #8
Ryfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet View Post
Are they DiveR Innegra Carbons?
They are new, if you can give review would be awesome.

They are not the Innegra I got them just before they came out. But they have the new rails on them that Ray is doing now. Here is a photo. The extra performance really is worth it IMO with the DiveR carbons over other carbons I tried.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13680705_10208398832701924_3074227623132426831_n.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	229662  
Old 10-28-2016, 02:36 PM   #9
jbsrq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryfish View Post
They are not the Innegra I got them just before they came out. But they have the new rails on them that Ray is doing now. Here is a photo. The extra performance really is worth it IMO with the DiveR carbons over other carbons I tried.
Those look awesome. Are they just the new carbons? I'll be in Australia in two weeks and plan on picking up a pair while I'm there.
jbsrq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:11 PM   #10
yaml

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxwax View Post
What killian said above I can't agree with more. DiveR fiberglass is what I've ended up at too as I choose durability over performance gains

You will get a better performance out of any fin when you clean up your kicking technique as well IMO

If the carbon itch is too great then get a pair of quality brand blades. And just as important the right pocket tendons which allow the blade to do what it was designed to in the first place
one point that u raise is interesting: the pockets and tendons: most stated that pathos was their "ideal" pocket - altho some said the thin rails didn't hold up or provide the "support" needed for hard kicking; again, as a newbie-I only have experience with mako pockets (which so far have been "fine" and mares which have really large ribs -and r heavy); all of the comments so far in this thread r really helping -people r liking the dive r fins but there were many comments, in the large thread analyzing carbon fins, about how heavy they were ;thanks for the comments
yaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:58 PM   #11
hydroid

You mentioned that you are only going out a couple of weeks a year and I would think your FG fins would be all you need, provided they have a good fit. I found "fit" to be very important in Longfins. But I could be way off since this is my first year using decent longfins. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
hydroid is offline   Reply With Quote