Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2009 Tournament Archives > 2009 Southwest Florida Open - April 24-26, 2009

2009 Southwest Florida Open - April 24-26, 2009 Check this forum for the Southwest Florida Open...April 24-26, 2009 Bass Pro Shops, Fort Myers, Florida Exit 128 I-75

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-26-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
biggsy
No, it's a sachel

Send a message via AIM to biggsy Send a message via Yahoo to biggsy
Thanks!

I just wanted to say thanks to all of the participants. We had 85 people register and 72 people showed up to the weigh-in to claim their turn at the prize table. To be able to harvest fish in the less than ideal weather yesterday was a testament to their dedication to this sport. Thanks to all of the support. For our Inaugural tournament, the overall turnout of shooters and family exceeded our expectations. It seems the Southwest Florida area needed it's own tournament.

We had people come from all over the state and it thrilled the club to be able to organize this event.

I wanted to thank Dan Biggs (Sea Shooter), Randy Docks (dive4bugz) and Brent Argabright (BADDC), for making sure the weigh-in line was organized and everyone had their fish gutted. You had the messiest job of the entire group and you guys handled it with ease. We could not have done it without you!

Thanks to my wife Estelle for once again keeping all of the scores straight as I yelled them to you. I think next year I am going to add a splash guard in front of you so I don't sling fish slime all over you. This woman must love me...

Frank McCallister (abdiver), you were the driving force behind this entire tournament and without you, it would have never happened. You started something great in our area and the entire club is thankful to be a part of it. A big thank you to Tony, Frank's wife, for helping out with the registration. Without the women in our lives being supportive of our hobbies, we would never be able to do these things, so thank you!

JP, great job being the emcee for the event. Thanks to the rest of the club that helped out as well.

Frank is going to have the results posted soon. A club member ended up winning the overall title. Way to go Scott!

Thanks to each and every sponsor that contributed to the prize table and beyond. Without the support of the manufacturers, dive shops and local businesses, these events would be non-existent.

We also wanted to thank Bass Pro for hosting the event and putting out a great buffet to enjoy.

Countdown to next year begins...

John Biggs
Vice President
Southwest Florida Spearfishing Club
Old 04-26-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Re: Thanks!

Congratulations John............sounds like you guys a great tournament in spite of the weather.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:23 PM   #3
PrincessSlaya!
Just Simply Laura

Just wanted to say Thanks for a great Tourney & A big thanks to Capt. Mark from Reel 1 up Charters for showing this east coast girl a good time. Great Job!

A champion is someone who gets up, even when he can't.

I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok. They know me here.

http://www.koahspearguns.com/
PrincessSlaya! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:02 PM   #4
Chad Carney
Dive Instructor & Captain

Way to go John, Frank, Brent, Randy, Dan and all the rest of the SWFLSC and sponsors!

Sounds like a great new tournament... and I like the optional captain's meeting. Next year I'll try to take off work for it.

Did anybody take a photo of the winners board/clipboard?

Chad
Located in Isles of Capri, FL
Charters for Spearfishing, Wrecks & Reefs in SW Florida
Chad Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:46 PM   #5
nailman
Sponsor

I quick "thank you" the my boys and girl from the east coast for the ass beating they invited me to attend yesterday! Rational thinking individuals do not head offshore in weather like that....I guess that's why we get along! Great crew of Jobert , Jen and Brandon. Even managed to p/u a new E Sea rider bean bag so thanks to Pat for donating them as always.

Thanks John , Frank and everyone that made this tournament happen. Awesome job for a 1st time event. Enjoyed meeting everyone from the board that I have enjoyed reading your post for a few years now. The girls and I will see everyone at the weigh in next year ...god willing!

Sanders
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00039-20090425-1906.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	100681   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00040-20090425-1906.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	100682   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00041-20090425-1906.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	100683  

Warning: If it is not spearfishing related and positive in nature then keep your stupid ass away from my threads!

Last edited by nailman; 04-27-2009 at 09:34 AM. Reason: pics
nailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:49 PM   #6
dive4bugz

Send a message via AIM to dive4bugz Send a message via Yahoo to dive4bugz

WOW!!!!!!!! What a great weekend!! We had the perfect storm, the endless gunnel-huncher (poor, poor Bruce!), the never-ending buffet, and the friendships and comeraderie that makes this sport so much DAMNED fun! So many thanx to Biggsy, ABdiver, JP, and all the rest who made this inaugural tourney such a success. YOU GUYS ROCK!!! Now off to bed... I'm pooped...
Old 04-26-2009, 10:11 PM   #7
FishTracks

It was a few firsts for me.

1st tournament
1st job as emcee for a spearfish tournament
1st time splashing in 10 foot swells in FL Bay
1st time the other guys on the boat wear speedos.....double

last and not least.............1st for meeting so many cool people in one venue. You all were great and we hope to see you back next year. Thanks for putting up with me. Well done Frank, Biggsy, Marc, Brent and all the club members.

John JP Petracco
Old 04-27-2009, 06:53 AM   #8
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

Fish Tracks, we didnt get to meet, I didnt know you were the emcee, or I would have talked to you about AC, and Scott and Jodi. Had fun! That was Lynns first actual particpating tourney, she strained a pec muscle(couldnt hardly move her arm) and couldnt shoot 2006 SpearBoard open, and even went to the Middlegrounds with me and watched the big fish pile up in the boat, and both the 2007 SPO and SBO I couldnt do it because of MRSA, back then thigh surgery-2 seperate surgeries, caught it from one of my patients! and so she didnt want to dive it alone, but she made this one-finally wasnt working those days for a change. She wasnt proud of her pile of fish-nothing huge, it wasnt the greatest of days, she has been taking antibiotics for tonsil infection-they made her sick for days, and she wasnt feeling good prior to stepping on the boat, and just prior to her first dive puked, then after the dive puked, didnt puke again-or eat all day,and didnt feel good even that night and Sunday. But she was a trooper and didnt complain at all. She did show off her trophy last night though! She's still sleeping. I think our whole crew is whooped! Thanks all! Now I am off to clean fish for a couple hours. Lynn didnt want go to the weigh-in,(good thing she did) as my father died Saturday morning. Expected, kind of. I am sorry I wasnt with my mom, but how was I to know. I checked my phone at 9 Sat nite when we got back to land and got the bad news. We were with my mom for a while late Saturday night, and wanted to stay with her, and not go to the weigh-in, but she said " Dad would have wanted you to be there, so you go to the weigh-in" She was actually fine. True, my dad was a hardcore diver/spearo, he was spearfishing 60 years ago, and competeing in tourneys then, before I was born, and continued to dive his whole life. In fact he dove and speared until he went in the nursing home with Alzhiemers 5 or 6 years ago. He's in a better place, and the whole family agrees.

Last edited by stevemc1; 04-27-2009 at 07:08 AM.
stevemc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:56 AM   #9
biggsy
No, it's a sachel

Send a message via AIM to biggsy Send a message via Yahoo to biggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishTracks View Post
1st job as emcee for a spearfish tournament
You did a great job as emcee...you have the gig next year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishTracks View Post
1st time the other guys on the boat wear speedos.....double
Who was wearing the speed so I can avoid being on the same boat as them?
Old 04-27-2009, 04:53 PM   #10
FishTracks

Steve,

Sorry to hear about your dad, its a club that I entered into 10 years ago, and one we never want to join. He sounds like a great man and one who taught his son well. Spearing 60 years ago.........wow !! I am certain many on this board would love to see some old photos of that.

Sorry we did not hook up, but would love to spalsh sometime with you. As I mentioned yesterday, I'm 3 years into spearing and learning everyday, but enjoy getting out and always seem to take some dinner for a few nights!!

Again my prayers are with your family.

Lets get together, steel some fish, drink a beer and discuss AC.

I do not have a boat, so always chartering or grabbing a ride and splitting costs.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:58 PM   #11
BIG WOOD25
Dive, Spear, Drink Beer..

Great tournament everyone!!! Thanks to all the members and sponsors. lol by the way JP, wasn't this swfl open out of Florida this weekend? I didn't see any 10 footers out there. I know you weren't at pipeline in Hawaii Saturday because I could have sworn I was talking to you guys on the radio and saw you in the distance just off our spot....hahaha
BIG WOOD25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:54 PM   #12
FishTracks

money managers always round up........FL Bay was rocking 70nm south of FM. Leveled off in afternoon especially when we saw you around 3pm.

One hell of a ride.............just surfing the financial tidal wave.

Lets get out and splash

Hope everyone had a good time