Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 10-29-2018, 04:24 PM   #16
grey2112

Re: 36" Cobia minimum size proposed - thoughts?

Thanks for the education, guys. I've only shot 2 cobia, both over 36", so I at least feel good about that. Perhaps this time the .gov got it right. Hell, I'm actually happy about the lower limits for Sherpa, and the increasing of the Hogfish size as well.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:13 PM   #17
YoungMarine

Maybe another study needs to be done on their migration habits. During the fall they come in closer to the Louisiana coast and we have been seeing a lot. Saw around 100 on last day trip.
YoungMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:56 AM   #18
Alec

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungMarine View Post
Maybe another study needs to be done on their migration habits. During the fall they come in closer to the Louisiana coast and we have been seeing a lot. Saw around 100 on last day trip.
They spawn in September-October off Louisiana
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:33 AM   #19
Greasy Gar

I'm in SW Louisiana and can say without a doubt that the average size has dropped drastically over the last 10+ years. We still see numbers, but the "big fish" in a group of ling is maybe 30lbs when historically if a pack rolled up...there'd at least one over 50-60lbs. Definitely need a boat limit here. Not uncommon to have 6+ people on a boat and everyone get their 2 per person. Too little, too late.
Greasy Gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:52 PM   #20
YoungMarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy Gar View Post
I'm in SW Louisiana and can say without a doubt that the average size has dropped drastically over the last 10+ years. We still see numbers, but the "big fish" in a group of ling is maybe 30lbs when historically if a pack rolled up...there'd at least one over 50-60lbs. Definitely need a boat limit here. Not uncommon to have 6+ people on a boat and everyone get their 2 per person. Too little, too late.

The proposed boat limit was 2 fish. Being from SW Louisiana, I imagine you also have a long run to diveable water. Before you tie up to a rig your buddies could easily spear 2 cobia before you hit the water. With the current limits/seasons of other reef fish, that would not even make it feasible to run offshore for most recreational divers and fishermen. No one wants to run 80-90 miles round trip for mangrove and sheepshead. If anything, the commercial limit should be reduced as many "recreational divers" have commercial licenses and only go out to shoot cobia in order to sell them and pay trip costs and put trash fish on a derby board.
YoungMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 06:51 PM   #21
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
The proposed boat limit was 2 fish. Being from SW Louisiana, I imagine you also have a long run to diveable water. Before you tie up to a rig your buddies could easily spear 2 cobia before you hit the water. With the current limits/seasons of other reef fish, that would not even make it feasible to run offshore for most recreational divers and fishermen. No one wants to run 80-90 miles round trip for mangrove and sheepshead. If anything, the commercial limit should be reduced as many "recreational divers" have commercial licenses and only go out to shoot cobia in order to sell them and pay trip costs and put trash fish on a derby board.
In all gulf federal waters commercials have the same limit as recreational fishermen. If your state waters allow more than that needs to be addressed. If sporty commercials are filling their coolers and selling them, it sounds like you have an enforcement problem.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:30 PM   #22
Greasy Gar

Quote:
The duration of my boat ride to "diveable water" is irrelevant when we are talking about the overall decline of highly sought after species. 10-15 years ago during peak migration it wasn't uncommon to have a school of 20-60 ling on damn near every rig. That just doesn't happen today. I'm aware they are proposing a 2 fish per vessel limit. I'm okay with that. I'd rather two 50+lbs fish than the pile of 10-15lb ling I see people kill regularly. Something has to change and a law is much easier to change than people's opinions/practices.
For the record, we don't ever shoot sheeps and keep the boat limit on mangroves to about 20 fish, preferably under 5lbs. Plenty of other species to bring home for dinner and keep shooters busy.
Different strokes for different folks.
Greasy Gar is offline   Reply With Quote