Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Northern Atlantic: New England States

Northern Atlantic: New England States An area for the cold water divers of the New England States.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:43 AM   #1
echris50

Gun size validation

Hey guys. This is my first season spearing and I've been using a tiny 45cm mares gun and I'm planning on upgrading over the winter. I dive in RI and will be doing shore dives almost exclusively. We get pretty meh vis, maybe 5-10 feet on average, 15 on a great day?. I work at a ski shop and we also do dive so I can get a discount on mares, AB Biller and Riffe guns. I'm targeting tautog now but see striped bass fairly often and I want to be able to take them as well. I've been leaning towards a Riffe comp 1S that we have in the shop but I'm wary that it's to much gun with 3 bands and a shaft that is almost 8mm.
Can anyone chime in and validate me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
echris50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:16 AM   #2
Nix

Re: Gun size validation

Riffe euro 100cm or similar size would work better than the 2s and is better configured stock.

With the 2S it requires the shaft to be changed to 7mm and only use 2 bands. 16mm or 14mm are both fine. The comp 1S is a bit small and more bands will only make it shoot worse.
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:26 AM   #3
roosterman9

consensus is 90cm is best bet for one all around gun for inshore. Some days you are overgunned, on those rare days you will be undergunned. But it is a good place to start.
roosterman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 01:26 PM   #4
echris50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix View Post
Riffe euro 100cm or similar size would work better than the 2s and is better configured stock.

With the 2S it requires the shaft to be changed to 7mm and only use 2 bands. 16mm or 14mm are both fine. The comp 1S is a bit small and more bands will only make it shoot worse.

The Euro guns are honestly out of my price range. The way Riffe sells their
Guns the Comp #S series has the thicker shaft, 3 bands and a double wrap on the shooting line and a the ad on tip, the regular comp # has a 7mm flopper shaft, a single wrap of line and 2 bands.
So you think I should go even bigger with the comp 2? It has a 115cm stock and just seems huge for what I'm doing.

Old 11-17-2016, 01:56 PM   #5
Nix

Quote:
Originally Posted by echris50 View Post
The Euro guns are honestly out of my price range. The way Riffe sells their
Guns the Comp #S series has the thicker shaft, 3 bands and a double wrap on the shooting line and a the ad on tip, the regular comp # has a 7mm flopper shaft, a single wrap of line and 2 bands.
So you think I should go even bigger with the comp 2? It has a 115cm stock and just seems huge for what I'm doing.

The problem you'll encounter is you want a gun with capability for shooting bass. Riffe Comp guns have a lot of wasted space. So though the Riffe comp2 has 115cm stock, but the pull length that powers the shaft is probably near 95cm. Those guns also shoot better with a 7mm shaft and 2 bands. You'll want to shorten the stock configuration. The challenge is that you have dirty water. I am familiar with the issue. You don't want a gun bigger than it needs to be in the murk.

If you get a railgun that's 90 or 100cm, it will be smaller than the riffe with similar power and cheaper. Why not get a mares? Should be much cheaper too. Get a 90 or 100
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 02:35 PM   #6
echris50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix View Post
The problem you'll encounter is you want a gun with capability for shooting bass. Riffe Comp guns have a lot of wasted space. So though the Riffe comp2 has 115cm stock, but the pull length that powers the shaft is probably near 95cm. Those guns also shoot better with a 7mm shaft and 2 bands. You'll want to shorten the stock configuration. The challenge is that you have dirty water. I am familiar with the issue. You don't want a gun bigger than it needs to be in the murk.

If you get a railgun that's 90 or 100cm, it will be smaller than the riffe with similar power and cheaper. Why not get a mares? Should be much cheaper too. Get a 90 or 100

This is exactly the info I was hoping to get! Wasted space on the stock never even crossed my mind

Old 11-17-2016, 03:59 PM   #7
JDSapp

Mako 75-100... I have shot plenty of fish with one, even had a newbie take a 20lb Jack Crevalle with no issues. Better quality then Mares and just as cost efficient.
JDSapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 05:57 PM   #8
EZsurf

If you want simply a " by the numbers" answer it is a 90 cm gun for the North
east area, period. But as you will learn, guns become a very personal item and you will develop a feel for what you really like. I have some that are top of the line guns yet I will sometimes select a cheap 20 yr old Sporasub instinct with a 6mm shaft to take out. Perfectly balanced and shoots like a laser beam. I am going to recommend a reasonably priced Mares Phantom for you. It is very comfortable, shoots a tight straight line, the nylon makes it quiet and neutrally buoyant. I know of four excellent divers who regularly use this gun. One bad thing: the shaft is junk and will snap if you hit a decent bass. Replace the shaft. good luck
EZsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:25 PM   #9
jfjf

I't been a few years now, I forget if I used a 90 or 100 cm MAKO in Rhode Island for the National Spearfsihing Competition..?

https://youtu.be/ERNpiQMgG98

jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:47 PM   #10
Neptonic Systems
Official Sponsor

For $230 you can get a ROB ALLEN shipped to your house for free. RA's are known to be bomb proof and are one of the biggest selling guns in the world.

If you have any questions feel free to give us a call.

Quality you can trust from North America's Largest Selection of Spearfishing Equipment.
Neptonic Systems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:03 PM   #11
frankt
apneist

Riffe Euro 90 somewhere here used on the Forum around three hundred bucks I recommend you just keep your eyes open and get a used euro instead of a new comp 2/s
frankt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:57 PM   #12
Aria

Hey Echris50. I can validate the size of your gun, to be honest I think its fine...the size of your dick on the other hand, thats where your concern should be
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:25 PM   #13
echris50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria View Post
Hey Echris50. I can validate the size of your gun, to be honest I think its fine...the size of your dick on the other hand, thats where your concern should be

Thanks man! Maybe you could help me validate it sometime soon

Old 11-19-2016, 12:33 PM   #14
MeTo

look at a Mares Cyrano it think they make a 90 or an AB billar 42"
MeTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 01:00 AM   #15
Savas_the_Greek

Mares Viper Pro 90 cm
I attached a review for the Mares Viper Pro:
http://www.spearfishcharters.com/vip...er-pro-review/
I have never shot one but a couple of my friends own them and they seem happy with this gun. Only thing I would do is swap out the shaft for a carbon steel rob allen shaft.

My go to is a Rob Allen 90 cm...bulletproof gun and accurate.
Savas_the_Greek is offline   Reply With Quote