Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:54 PM   #16
Ron S

Re: Baja Mexico

By the way Steve, my co-worker's wife has use of a timeshare down in Cabo from her family. She regularly heads down there with the kids or her girlfriends, but my co-worker never goes. He said he can't see any reason to. I showed him some of the photos you've posted, and I believe it's changed his mind.
If he ever heads down there you'll know it. He's a short, buffed out, loud mouthed, 50 something jarhead. If you run into him, tell him he owes you a beer or two and I said so. He'll deliver!
Ron.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #17
slingshaft
Hunter, Gatherer

Thankfully, the fishing license is not expensive.
slingshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #18
TheSturgeon

Guys I'm interested in doing the 5 day trip at pistolas del mar. The one where you pay and it includes hotel and 3 days on a boat. I plan on going in July. Can someone please share their experience there? Thank you !
TheSturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #19
KCArborist
@SPEAROBRANDO

Where do you pick up a fishing license?
Old 04-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #20
stevencabo
tercermundista

Send a message via Yahoo to stevencabo

https://www2.ebajacalifornia.gob.mx/Pesca/ ,, You can get it on line, or if your staying in San Jose del cabo you can get it at the puerto los cabos marina in La Playita. There is always someone there in the mornings selling fishing licenses to the charter boat fisherman. You'll find them selling licenses at a little portable table just outside the palapa roof in the picture. They leave by around 10am. If you get your license there you might as well swim out to the end of the marina to see what you can find.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	marina bounty.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	171054  
stevencabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #21
KCArborist
@SPEAROBRANDO

Thanks so much Steven!
Old 04-23-2012, 11:25 PM   #22
Polespearo
Waterman

I have been out with the guy from pistoleros del mar and it was a very good experience. They know what they are doing and have their operation and logistics dialed in!
Polespearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:21 AM   #23
scubadown16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSturgeon View Post
Guys I'm interested in doing the 5 day trip at pistolas del mar. The one where you pay and it includes hotel and 3 days on a boat. I plan on going in July. Can someone please share their experience there? Thank you !
Very good guy name Gonzalo he has his stuff together. The place you stay at is run by some really awesome people name Melton and Sue Su who know a lot about the water and fishing in Mexico. Well worth the money and you'll see fish. Its up to you if you get any but you'll be seeing plenty of fish for sure. Good luck.
scubadown16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #24
Les Sage

I was diving from shore at Cabo when a boat came in real close. It was the game warden and he asked if I had a fishing license. I said yes, I have one.

I thought, "oh great" I'm going to have to swim a hundred yards up current and back through the surf to the place I got in.

He said OK, just checking and took off.

Surprised the heck out of me!

BTW Steve, thanks for showing me your secret spot

Les
Old 04-25-2012, 08:39 AM   #25
wlkconsulting

Send a message via Skype™ to wlkconsulting

Nice Steve..I see you're back from your moms catching up on some fish...
wlkconsulting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #26
KCArborist
@SPEAROBRANDO

fishing permit acquired - looking forward to trying a little shore diving - will have a rental car to buzz around - can someone give me the names, locations of some decent diving spots? I'll be staying at Royal Solaris Los Cabos in San Jose Del Cabo -

Any vis reports?
Old 05-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #27
SpearoTastic
Homebound Spearo

My experience in Cabo San Lucas was that the vis was always fantastic. San Jose Del Cabo shouldn't be any different.

Unless you are targeting a specific species, the fish are everywhere. I'll bet you can spear fish right in front of your hotel.

Since you've got a rental car, just go along the coast to where you see a beach with a rocky peninsula and get in the water. There should be all kinds of reef fish like cabrilla, pargo, yellowtail and roosterfish around the rocks and fish like sierra and giant needlefish cruising the beach. If the water turns deep blue quickly, even better, because you may have a shot at pelagics.

Good luck and dive safe!

Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". - Andy Rooney

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. - Proverbs 22:6 (NIV)

KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON

Last edited by SpearoTastic; 05-20-2012 at 03:27 AM.
SpearoTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #28
stevencabo
tercermundista

Send a message via Yahoo to stevencabo

This time of year the viz is less than stellar.
stevencabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #29
wlkconsulting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearoTastic View Post
My experience in Cabo San Lucas was that the vis was always fantastic. San Jose Del Cabo shouldn't be any different.

Unless you are targeting a specific species, the fish are everywhere. I'll bet you can spear fish right in front of your hotel.

Since you've got a rental car, just go along the coast to where you see a beach with a rocky peninsula and get in the water. There should be all kinds of reef fish like cabrilla, pargo, yellowtail and roosterfish around the rocks and fish like sierra and giant needlefish cruising the beach. If the water turns deep blue quickly, even better, because you may have a shot at pelagics.

Good luck and dives safe!
He's very much correct..Follow the rocks...I highly recommend scouting with googgle earth to get a general idea of where to go. GE is detailed enough to pin point spots so you can hit the groud running once you arrive. Reference points and and land marks can also be discussed with gringo locals on the forum bajanomad(dot)com. Many don't know squat about spearing but they know the area and speak good English as they are Canadian or American.

Some remote spots will require an ATV or 4 wheel drive. If you can afford it, always get a 4wd vehicle for clearance and capability due to the speed bumps, dirt/rock roads, big hills or driving on hard sand. Do not drive the old coastal road past El cardinal unless you are an Adrenalin junkie. Last summer we drove this all the way to Lapaz for kicks..Was fun but never again. Whats that show where the truckers drive those cliffs in Brazil, south America? Its like that.

As he said,some of big resort hotels sit in front of some highly productive areas. Goggle earth your hotel and see whats up. Get out super early..Be very low key with your spear gun. Stay away from other tourists with your gun and swim far away from tourist swimmers. Some employee may feel its their duty to tell you what you can and cant do in front of the hotel. They are actually being protective of the other guests. They cant stop you, but be polite and allow them to direct you.

Try and keep your wiggling dieing fish away from your body while hunting near shallow rocky structure. Moray lurk big time, but never seen a shark.

If you go the pacific side, talk to Steve. He'll tell you the water conditions. He also knows general spots. Consider summer months can get rough on pacific side but when its good, Steve does well. Ive been doing the sea side for some years now, look forward to hitting the Pacific side on next visit for the first time. The beauty of shore fishing in Baja is that if you are on a budget, there is no shortage of a verity of fish. Go spearing as much as you want, any time you want and not spend a dime on charters. Shore spearing in Baja is very under rated.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #30
wlkconsulting

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencabo View Post
This time of year the viz is less than stellar. http://youtu.be/tQgOL1VWRNE
Steve, thanks for posting that..