Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #61
divingdoctor

Re: Shark City

223 power head vs 357mag or 44mag? What's the pros/cons?
divingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:23 AM   #62
Drane

All are as good as your waterproofing and direct hit at closer range technique. I currently use a 7.62 x 39, aka AK47 round as per Danno: "Dey doesn't even wiggle" after the hit.
Drane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:41 PM   #63
Baccala

I'll give you my perspective only because I can shoot commercially with a PH. It's not the bullet that kills them its the concussion, now of course the 357 and 44 mag are larger rounds and they do put a sizable hole in the fish but god damn they are loud under water. My buddy shot his 44 and I wasn't ready for it and it scared the shit out of me. The 223 for myself is a nice round not to loud and puts a nice hole in the fish normally the size of your spear, actually it almost looks liked you speared the fish with a 223 round. But again all personal preference.
Baccala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:09 PM   #64
mastermachman

Well boys and girls.

Back in the day we had no said problem with Power heads use. But we used 38, 357, 44 mag , and 45. All kill or protect the diver. Had thumb screw to hold hem on. I truly do not understand the need for 223 or 308 nor 30-06 round. Ever seen what a 44 or 357 dose to a shark. Not pertty. And funny thing. They die.

So for me I can't understand why the need for that kind of round. Uncalled for.
I think if some of you could put a tank on your back you would shoot them with it.

Maybe this why we have laws. ... Maybe just a thought ???

mastermachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:28 PM   #65
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermachman View Post
Well boys and girls.

Back in the day we had no said problem with Power heads use. But we used 38, 357, 44 mag , and 45. All kill or protect the diver. Had thumb screw to hold hem on. I truly do not understand the need for 223 or 308 nor 30-06 round. Ever seen what a 44 or 357 dose to a shark. Not pertty. And funny thing. They die.

So for me I can't understand why the need for that kind of round. Uncalled for.
I think if some of you could put a tank on your back you would shoot them with it.

Maybe this why we have laws. ... Maybe just a thought ???

NOT going to touch this one.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:55 PM   #66
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

I thought he meant

but then I realized he meant

and his argument is that wanting to use a 30-06 round is like wanting to use a 50-caliber, and that if you want to use a 50 cal, you probably secretly want to use an RPG, and if you would use an RPG underwater, why not use an actual tank. But that would be too big obviously, so maybe something like what Boba Fett decided on?

And his argument is that a .44, which is about .429" in diameter, is good to use, but a 30-06, which is about .308" in diameter, is overkill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermachman View Post
.......I truly do not understand the need for 223 or 308 nor 30-06 round.......
To answer what might be your actual question, someone would want to use a 223 or a 30-06 if they had a gun that fired those, since then they could use the same type of ammo for their gun and for their powerhead.

Welcome to Spearboard!
Tyson Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:21 AM   #67
mastermachman

Ya , all in good fun right !

Trust me. I to have many gun my largest is 338 & 50 cal.
But In fact the smaller calibers work( 357 , 44, 45 ). As previous said by another poster.
I truly stand to my guns.

So make fun if you need. But in my option the rifles rounds are uncalled for ..

This is fact. Like it or not !
Old 08-29-2014, 04:32 AM   #68
spearhunter11
Surgical Shooter!

Dude uncalled for is alittle nuts. 44mag is 1.10 a round and 223 is .30 cents a round and works just fine. So am I uncalled for wanting to save money.

Last edited by spearhunter11; 08-31-2014 at 08:55 AM.
spearhunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:22 PM   #69
mastermachman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Brown View Post
I thought he meant

but then I realized he meant

and his argument is that wanting to use a 30-06 round is like wanting to use a 50-caliber, and that if you want to use a 50 cal, you probably secretly want to use an RPG, and if you would use an RPG underwater, why not use an actual tank. But that would be too big obviously, so maybe something like what Boba Fett decided on?

And his argument is that a .44, which is about .429" in diameter, is good to use, but a 30-06, which is about .308" in diameter, is overkill.

To answer what might be your actual question, someone would want to use a 223 or a 30-06 if they had a gun that fired those, since then they could use the same type of ammo for their gun and for their powerhead.

Welcome to Spearboard!

Lol. Ya I'm old and slow. LOL.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:10 PM   #70
spearhunter11
Surgical Shooter!

I was trying to show you that your facts are also just opinions. I personally have both .223 and .44mag slip on powerheads (PPD). Don't have to use them. The .223 has a lot of powder in the round which equals more muzzle energy, so that's the reason rifle rounds are used. I have never seen a 30-06 or .308 powerhead so I couldn't speak for those rounds.

Last edited by jfjf; 08-30-2014 at 08:21 PM.
spearhunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:50 PM   #71
mastermachman

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybuddies View Post
Wow. As someone else said "welcome to spearboard." You sure know how to make a first impression. Do you give marital advice too?
No , I stay away from that . .

but just about anything else . .

and sorry for my comments . . I felt threaten

I have him ignored so I do not know what is response was . . .Thank God . . I'm sure it was something stupid !!
Old 09-20-2014, 05:54 AM   #72
mastermachman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearhunter11 View Post
I was trying to show you that your facts are also just opinions. I personally have both .223 and .44mag slip on powerheads (PPD). Don't have to use them. The .223 has a lot of powder in the round which equals more muzzle energy, so that's the reason rifle rounds are used. I have never seen a 30-06 or .308 powerhead so I couldn't speak for those rounds.
Rodger that ......

I'm sure someone is using them. As I joked , What is enough I think that depends on the person. But I'm afraid some is over kill , but then again what are you shooting and how big.

I think I'll look into getting two I seen some in dive shop the other day. Might take another look. As I only glance at them.

Have a few other thing I'm more interested in
Old 09-20-2014, 02:00 PM   #73
sharpshooter

I think Ray Odor still makes 30-06 power heads.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:00 PM   #74
Williamsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamineagle View Post
You do realize that I don't give a shit what you do or how many time you've been boarded or who you have been boarded by. I'm right and your wrong. End of story stupid. FWC ha.ha.ha. Most of those guys can't even tell you what the daily aggregate for grouper is and you want to use them as a resource for case law. Genius... I tell you what. Why don't you take your power heads down to the local ATF office at 12499 Brantley Commons Court, Suite 200. Fort Myers, Florida 33907. Voice: (239) 284-1060 and let them take a look at them and get back to us.
Did you take them down? sounds like a challenge to me i want to know who won? I love seeing the keyboard warriors fight makes my night. Free entertainment.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #75
scubasteve311

can you tell me if I would need 1 of these devices when spear in that begin the bridge during the fall and spring months? And do I need a special license?
scubasteve311 is offline   Reply With Quote