Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Mid-Atlantic States

Mid-Atlantic States A forum for the states of New York and New Jersey to better define the highly populated eastern US coast

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 84 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-02-2018, 07:23 AM   #2266
Ric

Re: Daily Vis report thread

I demand Poseidon to give me 5 ft viz, this is reasonable I believe.
Others have that :
https://youtu.be/a0UtB4fXWgM

the story behind this video : I wanted to spend a few days spearfishing in Brittany 2 weeks ago. I contacted 3 clubs in the area for some sort of arrangement about potential boat trip, or just getting a buddy for these unfamiliar waters. It turns out they all mentioned that, to join them, I had first to get a License, and also a physical exam...so apparently, one can only practice spear fishing with a License... French bureaucracy at its best.
'It's for your security' right...my train was delayed because of suspicious package, aka bomb alert. And you can't complain about that for political correctness reasons.
Bottom line : in France, Spear fishing is way safer than boarding a train.

I had no time to apply and no will to pay for a license, it was not worth it for just one or two days and obviously they didn't try 'very hard' to get me onboard. So I just went alone, in a very shallow granitic shore similar to Maine, in front of Fort Bloqué, also called Kerragan in Gaelic.

I was camping and I had nothing to cook a fish anyways.
So, no gun, just the camera. And now, what I was doing was 'swimming', which requires no License and no physical exam.

I saw a Bar, like a Bass without the stripes and another big fish who is not on the video. Those guys enjoy super clear waters, no wonder they don't wanna share...
Ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:21 PM   #2267
Ric

Poseidon gave me >6ft today in Barnegat Inlet. Well, more than 10 ft if you include 'blurry' visibility, then it would be more like 10-15ft perhaps. Not bad at all for August and much better than last year anyways. Tons of fish too.
There was a crazy incoming current in that inlet today, the strongest I ever felt. Water was warm and that's probably why there are so many fishes.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:09 AM   #2268
nilsonov

vis is flouresent green, and a dark 2-3' on the bottom now in bk
nilsonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:23 AM   #2269
Mana'squal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilsonov View Post
vis is flouresent green, and a dark 2-3' on the bottom now in bk
It was gross slack tide Wednesday at Point. So warm and nasty, hopefully we get warm water late season at this rate.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Mana'squal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:24 AM   #2270
WD40

Vis in BI was great on Thursday, solid 8-10ft. To the clown that shot the 4ft sturgeon only to be told by fisherman he was a clown and then proceeded to ditch the fish in the inlet and leave, stick to video games. Idk who you are and I’m happy I didn’t see this incident myself. But its a shitty feeling when fishermen ask you “can you guys see what you are shooting or do you just shoot anything that moves”. People like you give us a bad name. Rant over....
WD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:58 AM   #2271
jersymudsniper

Wont be long before we cant dive it anymore. Was kids with scuba fins diving there with no flags or floats tuesday. Between that stuff and people walking down jetty with loaded guns it will end soon.
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:42 PM   #2272
Ric

A loaded gun on the jetty is a rare occurrence but since I've seen it too, I can't say it's not real.
Trying to explain why it is a bad thing is awkward. Like, why would you need to explain that water is wet and fire burns ?

By the way, the jetty at Barnegat Inlet is relatively safe to walk on the rocks compared to the Manasquan Inlet. I mean at BI the rock tops are about flat, you have to watch your steps, but compared that to walking the jetty at Manasquan...it's like the engineer who designed the MI jetty wanted to break your legs.
I don't say there will never be an accident at BI or elsewhere but even if there is, that's not a reason to stop the spearfishing sport, the greatest sport ever to support mind and body.

About warning posters, a sign at the entrance of a jetty that would say: "walking with a loaded spearfishing gun is prohibited on the jetty" would remind me too much of some hot suburbs in France where the municipality has to post warnings such as "Throwing stones to the Police is Forbidden". There is this implicit message that the people concerned are total retards. You can't compensate retardation with regulations.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:37 PM   #2273
Dmill

These rants sound familiar.... ��
Dmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:18 PM   #2274
Ric

The vis holds ! compared to last year at least, I was in Barnegat inlet last Sunday, around 12-1PM and I got around 4-5 ft vis.
OK it's not the Caribbean, but I am sure it is better than last year at the same time.

Too bad the surf was rough with lots of turbulence, and the vis may have been better down the inlet. I had one chance to shoot at a decent Tog, for like 1/4 second it may have been 4 ft from me, but by the time I rotated my gun to aim, it was gone. I never get a second chance on anything.
At slack around 2PM, the viz didn't improve.
But near the lighthouse itself, and behind it in the bay side, the vis was better, but as we know, it's forbidden to dive there.

I thought another dude was going to dive the inlet but I couldn't see him. If he was at the tip of the jetty, I imagine he enjoyed 3-4 ft waves non stop, not for me.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:26 PM   #2275
Mana'squal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
The vis holds ! compared to last year at least, I was in Barnegat inlet last Sunday, around 12-1PM and I got around 4-5 ft vis.
OK it's not the Caribbean, but I am sure it is better than last year at the same time.

Too bad the surf was rough with lots of turbulence, and the vis may have been better down the inlet. I had one chance to shoot at a decent Tog, for like 1/4 second it may have been 4 ft from me, but by the time I rotated my gun to aim, it was gone. I never get a second chance on anything.
At slack around 2PM, the viz didn't improve.
But near the lighthouse itself, and behind it in the bay side, the vis was better, but as we know, it's forbidden to dive there.

I thought another dude was going to dive the inlet but I couldn't see him. If he was at the tip of the jetty, I imagine he enjoyed 3-4 ft waves non stop, not for me.
I think we spoke Sunday, I actually snuck in on the backside of the inlet Bayside for maybe 5 minutes just to take a look. It was less than a foot of vis on the bottom. Doesn't look like we will have much better for the near future looking at the swell report.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:42 PM   #2276
Ric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mana'squal View Post
I think we spoke Sunday, I actually snuck in on the backside of the inlet Bayside for maybe 5 minutes just to take a look. It was less than a foot of vis on the bottom. Doesn't look like we will have much better for the near future looking at the swell report.

Yes we spoke. Hmm, less than one ft you said... Well, in the inlet it was ~ 4ft since I could see the tip of my spear.
I didn't go deep, barely 10-15ft, but there it was the same ~4-5ft visibility.
Last year Sept-Dec was really worse, like zero ft.
To me that's still doable and i'll probably go again if I get a chance.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:34 AM   #2277
Mana'squal

Quote:
Yes we spoke. Hmm, less than one ft you said... Well, in the inlet it was ~ 4ft since I could see the tip of my spear.
I didn't go deep, barely 10-15ft, but there it was the same ~4-5ft visibility.
Last year Sept-Dec was really worse, like zero ft.
To me that's still doable and i'll probably go again if I get a chance.
At 20+ it went black, wasn't seeing or hearing any tautog, I think they are sitting deeper in colder water.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:26 AM   #2278
Ric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mana'squal View Post
At 20+ it went black, wasn't seeing or hearing any tautog, I think they are sitting deeper in colder water.

There are some Tautogs at shallower depths, they may be smaller, but the one I saw was probably ~around~ 15inches plus or minus 1 inch, and I am sure I was not in 20 ft of water, more like 15ft.
It's hard to say from memory now from a quater second sight, however i recall the Tog had a rather light grey robe, but no stripes that indicate a juvenile.
So it may have been an 'old' juvenile from last April ?
Old 10-02-2018, 07:40 AM   #2279
Ric

Something that frustrated me, is that even if I could see the tip of my spear 4-5ft in front of me, I could not see much further, and many times the tip hit a rock that I couldn't see, with a terrible metallic noise. When that happens you know it's over. You can hide as much as you want, there are not gonna come.
So I try to keep the gun closer to my body to avoid scratching the rocks, but then I am not in position to shoot. That's probably what saved this tog's life. I came nose to nose with him behind a rock, but was unable to shoot. A 90cm speargun is way to much in 4ft vis, for those who think 'longer is better'...eh, I know...
Old 10-02-2018, 02:32 PM   #2280
Mana'squal

Quote:
Something that frustrated me, is that even if I could see the tip of my spear 4-5ft in front of me, I could not see much further, and many times the tip hit a rock that I couldn't see, with a terrible metallic noise. When that happens you know it's over. You can hide as much as you want, there are not gonna come.
So I try to keep the gun closer to my body to avoid scratching the rocks, but then I am not in position to shoot. That's probably what saved this tog's life. I came nose to nose with him behind a rock, but was unable to shoot. A 90cm speargun is way to much in 4ft vis, for those who think 'longer is better'...eh, I know...
That gun I had with me is only 70cm total length and it's a mid handle. It shoots a 7mm 32"(80cm) shaft that snaps to the end of a double wrap. Unless the vis is over 10ft it's overpowered. I hope it cleans up at some point before winter. Forecast is all 5ft+ swell with onshore wind for the next week.